PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2009-2010 edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

D'z Nutz
04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Alright guys, what should we expect next season? :D :goflames:

rage2
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Let's hope not another first round exit :rofl:.

On the bright side, with the recession and another first round exit, we might have better chances at season tickets!

xLostx
GO TEAM GO!

Proyecto2000
Originally posted by rage2
Let's hope not another first round exit :rofl:. :werd:

kenny
04-27-2009, 10:10 PM

On the bright side, with the recession and another first round exit, we might have better chances at season tickets!

I was going to post that in this thread. I hope some season ticket holders choose not to renew them freeing some up :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Haha, :werd: I'll buy season tickets if I could get a hold of some

Mr_ET
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Hopefully a more consistent year and I'd like to see better backup goaltending, better defensive play and feel that we're a threat when we're on the PP.

b_t
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd like to see a new GM come in, but keep Keenan.

oster
04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Keenan better be fired, he had no control over his team during the playoffs, I'm seriously dissapointed in this years playoffs :thumbsdow

01RedDX
04-27-2009, 10:21 PM

rumeo
04-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Kipper 12 saves, khabi 43 saves, damn

nightfx
04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
Kipper wasn't the problem in that game though.

CKY
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
A new powerplay coach

Hope for a more consistent team effort on the defensive

Try and hold onto Squid for another season or two

Pray for roster health down the stretch and into the playoffs

Lets see some fresh faces from the farm log a little more time, I know this isn't Sutter or Keenan's style, but we got a few that can play.

KLCC
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by CKY
A new powerplay coach

Hope for a more consistent team effort on the defensive

Try and hold onto Squid for another season or two

Pray for roster health down the stretch and into the playoffs

Lets see some fresh faces from the farm log a little more time, I know this isn't Sutter or Keenan's style, but we got a few that can play.

My thoughts exactly, :thumbsup: our PP in this playoff was laughable.

Eibbus
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
How bout some soccer lessons since the puck is between their skates after every pass.

Stealth22
04-27-2009, 11:19 PM
- Fire Keenan
- Fire Preston
- Fire Playfair
- Maybe hang on to Sutter
- Dump Jokinen via trade
- If PHX will take Jokinen back, bring back Lombo..maybe
- Re-sign Cammalleri
- Not sure about Andre Roy...he's "ok"...
- If we can get someone better than Bert, dump him
- Renew contracts for Lundmark, Boyd, Peters, Greentree and Chucko
- If Aucoin won't take a pay cut, I think we should find someone else..he's not worth $4M
- Not sure about Warrener..
- Renew McElhinney's contract

Thats what I would do, for starters :D

EDIT: Scratch that...we need younger players to step up...trade Jokinen for a good defenseman whos cheaper than Aucoin. Let Lanks and Connie centre the top two lines, and Boyd/Lundmark/Peters on the lower two...maybe Primeau too, if he steps it up A LOT.

max_boost
04-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Bye Bye Bertuzzi.

Overhaul the coaching stuff.

Resign C-Mac and let him play 20-25 games.

Keep Aucoin if he is willing to take less money.

Let Camms go and hopefully Backlund can make the jump.

That's all I can think of for now.

For what it's worth, this year we saw the emergency of Moss, Nystrom and Bourque. Glencross was so so.

rumeo
04-27-2009, 11:41 PM

max_boost
04-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Kipper had no chance on those 3 goals. That's the thing, the Hawks make their shots count. They are almost always bang bang plays in the slot.

88CRX
04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
You guys are making rash decisions cause you're all emotional about the loss..... lol.

There's a reason why the team won't make any moves till the summer.

I bet the changes are minimal..... we lost because of all the damn injuries. End of story.

rumeo
04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
woops sorry for the double post, berry error. hire a better pp coach and youre good

Nav13
04-27-2009, 11:59 PM
posted this in the 0 thread but I see that the discussion has moved here.

I am not going to go into a whole bunch of details of where we need to improve. But one key area to look into for next year is goaltending. I am not saying trade kipper far from that, I still think he is a top 5 goal tender in the league. We either need to find a good backup or play McElhinney some more and let him develope. Every year since the cup run Kipper has played more games each season and his performance/stats have gone down, clearly he is being over played.

icky2unk
04-28-2009, 12:16 AM
My Suggestions:
- Fire whoever worked on the Powerplay. 2 in the past like what 60 changes.
- Leave Joki with his one year left, I want to blame him but the whole team didn't play and I am sure he would have shined if the players he was playing with allowed him to do that. Iggy and Camm and Lank all didn't show their game all playoffs. They were all unheard of.
- Keep Aucoin if paycheck slides.
- Keep Bert or trade for someone of equal size. Or work on Bert's games more. No more blindside passes, in front of net more,
Hope Primeau gets healthy, hes a big guy we need on the ice to make smart plays with his size.
- Bring back Lombo! haha okay i just have a soft spot
- Move Nydstrom up the lines, he's shown hes willing to commit, let him play on the higher lines and see if he develops.
- Play the backup, they are there for more then 2 games a season coach.

*On a side note, I think Cujo was a great backup goalie when we had him, he stepped it the fuck up when we needed our backup goalie to be there.

msommers
04-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Powerplays need serious work. And someone to show them how to forecheck and keep pressure going. Stop playing the box..maybe get rid of Dion as well. That fuckin guy is so overpaid.

kenny
04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
At least one season ticket holder posted on the Herald comments that he wont be renewing. Hopefully a huge wave jumps off :D

R!zz0
04-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by kenny
At least one season ticket holder posted on the Herald comments that he wont be renewing.

He'll kick himself in the ass if the Flames make it past 1st round next year.

PGTze
04-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Rich Preston has done nothing with the Flames PP the entire time he's been here. His best 'strategy' so far has been pass the puck to Dion and blast away.

Keenen's time as an effective head coach have come and gone. He takes his nickname 'Mix Master Mike' a little too literally. At no level of hockey can you juggle lines as frequently as the Flames did this year and still be successful.

Cammalleri was good, mostly in the regular season, but still good. It's too bad someone's going to pay him huge jack, there's no way the Flames can afford him.

Beer League Bert was highly entertaining during the regular season and fairly productive, but aside from a goal tonight he has been little better than a liability on the ice in the playoffs. I don't see him getting re-signed as he probably believes he had a resurgent season and is worth much more than $2M. Unfortunately someone will probably be desperate enough to pay him double what he earned this year.

For the love of God get Dustin Boyd off the 4th line.

Hopefully Backlund is good enough to crack the big club next year. If he does make it put him on a line with some decent talent. I have a bad feeling the Flames are going to try to Jam him between two plugs on the forth line.

The End

ICEBERG
04-28-2009, 07:52 AM
I am holding on to my season tickets like i have for the past 20 + years. Yea i am frustrated they got exited in the first round again but hey, let be realistic. Too many injuries took it's tole on this team..

And lets not forget that the Hawks are a very good team. It is not like we got beat by bunch of CHUMPS.. These young guy's are very good and they will give Vancouver a run for their money.

I am looking forward to next year. Will see what happens in the off season.

cheers,

mac_82
04-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by kenny
At least one season ticket holder posted on the Herald comments that he wont be renewing. Hopefully a huge wave jumps off :D

I sure hope so. It would be nice to get tickets in the next 2-3 years. :D

benyl
04-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0

He'll kick himself in the ass if the Flames make it past 1st round next year.

Odd are that the Flames won't make it past the first round... there has been a pretty strong trend the last 4 years.

SilverRex
04-28-2009, 08:16 AM
the Flames deserves to be knocked out the 1st round, not only are the odds stacked against them since the only few times they ever got pass the 1st round has lead them to the finals 3 times winning one of them.

It all boils down to the fact when Flames lost the division title it was pretty clear its over. Sure had they remian in top stop I think they would have at least beat the blues. But the saying goes, if you are destine to win the cup or has what it takes, you should be able to beat any time.

but hack, 1st round failure, I wish I at least see them get pass the 1st round to stir some excitment, otherwise we will be like SJ, always written off in the post season. At least the sharks from time to time can get to the 2nd round more often than not.

Put it this way, Vancouver will take the hawks out because no team has been able to keep going shortly after beating the Flames.

I expect a Det/Van western final and I hope its Van's year, since im tired of seeing DET win, and its more exciting to cheer for a canadian city.

LEts go VAN

b_t
04-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Mike Keenan still knows how to win. We were doing really, really well for a long time. I didn't see anyone calling for his job in February. We've had four consecutive first round exits; what has been the same for all of those?

Sutter has been GM for all these seasons. Our coaches and players have changed a lot in that time but we still have that guy running the show. We have one of the oldest teams in the league since Sutter seems to only be comfortable bringing in players he's worked with before or are established guys in the twilight of their careers (Burt, Conroy, Cujo) and we have only had one really good draft pick in the last god knows how long.. and he isn't even that great (Phanuef).

I'd want Sutter replaced before Keenan.

b_t
04-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Injuries disclosed..

Regehr - MCL
Phanuef - broken ribs (last game) displaced hip (most of the year) will need surgery, back
Sarich - broken ankle
Giordano - shoulder
Aucoin - back
Warrener - shoulder
Conroy - separated shoulder
Langkow - broken hand

mac_82
04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Sutter has done an amazing job since he has been here. I find it hard to believe he will be going anywhere. He has taken this team to the playoffs 5 years in a row. He has turned this franchise from a perennial loser into a successful team where winning is expected. When he came on board we had no prospects, and our future didn't look great. Our top prospects were Saprykin, Brent Krahn, and Chuck Kobasew. Now we have some very promising rookies coming up through the system.

Our record in the 5 1/2 seasons Sutter has been GM:

W-L-T-OTL
238 - 162 - 15 - 41

The previous 5 1/2 seasons:

W-L-T-OTL
156 - 211 - 69 - 15

Notable Draft picks:

Dion Phaneuf

Kris Chucko
Brandon Prust
Dustin Boyd
Adam Pardy

Matt Pelech
Dan Ryder
Kevine Lalande
Matt Keetley
Brett Sutter

Leland Irving

Mikael Backlund
John Negrin
Keith Aullie

Greg Nemisz
Mitch Wahl

Sutter has taken this team and given us a solid foundation for the future as well as giving us a chance to be competitive every year. How many teams have made the playoffs the last 5 years? 4. Calgary - Detroit - New Jersey - San Jose. Good company to be with. I would hate to imagine where this team would be right now without Sutter.

ZorroAMG
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Go Sharks GO!!!!

TorqueDog
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
My vote for the second forward line next year:

Nystrom - Moss - Boyd

Honourable mention goes to Warren Peters, and Adam Pardy on defense.

:goflames:

mowglee
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
take boyd and nystrom off the fourth line
if squids gone hes gone
make aucoin take a paycut or bye bye aucoin
bye bye big bert and vandemeer
re-sign mcelhinney and actually play the guy!
give backlund a full time job here
clean out the coaching staff. look at hartsburg or maybe even pat quinn

88CRX
04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I can't take this crap...... has anyone been listenign to the callers on the Fan960

Major :facepalm:

I had to turn it off it's so bad. People are questioning Iginla's ability to lead. People suggesting Reggie should be traded. Kipper's washed up. Fuck.

Like Kenny said people need to chill the fuck out for a week or two then put some thought into their opinions before spewing this garbage.

:facepalm:

Diesel2005
04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
If we had a complete healthy lineup and kipper not playing 76 games this season, we would have a probably made it out of first round.

Lets see how the hawks would play without 1 of their top Dman and bunch of players injured.

mac_82
04-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Ken King on Sutter:

"We're very happy and thrilled that he's among us," King said.

"I think he has been the catalyst for the best record in the division over the last five years," he said. "He has really been a critical part of turning this franchise around and putting us in a situation where we can enjoy hockey that people in a pure hockey market like Calgary can enjoy."

:clap: :clap:

D'z Nutz
04-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Anyone who questioned Sutter's effectiveness needs to get their head checked. He knows how to put a good team together. Year after year, people are always saying how good the team looks on paper. If we're under performing, the issue is clearly behind the bench.

R-Audi
04-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Although it is Sutter that put this team together.. including the coach. A few ways to look at it..
1. Sutter keeps getting the wrong coach for the job.. His Fault
2. Sutter keeps on getting the wrong players. His Fault.
Although I would like to see him stick around.. he is partly to blame.

IMO we need to work away from the crash and bang style we've had for so long, and move onto something a little faster and more skillfull. This style hasnt worked since our cup run.. and we need an update. I think the 'Right' coach will make a huge difference.
Sutter is set on his Western Canadian boys.. and at some point we need more skill. . Ala Cammaleri and looking forward Backlund.

STI
04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
^ Exactly.

Game 6, all the flames tried to do was crash the net. Throw the puck into the slot, scramble for it, and just bang at it. Everyone knows what they're trying to do. Not one thing different for one shift. This might work for one or two lines, but if this is what your whole team is doing, then no. This grind and crash the net style is not working after the new NHL.

The team is too slow, doesn't have enough people that can dangle the puck like Cammelleri, and too many Bertuzzi style guys that have nothing but brute strength. Get a few guys that can setup the one timers, make the plays in the offensive zone, and has a few tricks in the bag. Get rid of Keenan, get rid of Sutter, and there will be good things to come.

nightfx
04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Although it is Sutter that put this team together.. including the coach. A few ways to look at it..
1. Sutter keeps getting the wrong coach for the job.. His Fault
2. Sutter keeps on getting the wrong players. His Fault.
Although I would like to see him stick around.. he is partly to blame.

IMO we need to work away from the crash and bang style we've had for so long, and move onto something a little faster and more skillfull. This style hasnt worked since our cup run.. and we need an update. I think the 'Right' coach will make a huge difference.
Sutter is set on his Western Canadian boys.. and at some point we need more skill. . Ala Cammaleri and looking forward Backlund.
You don't really know if the player is "wrong" until they play here, same for coaches. In the beginning many people thought Keenan would be great for the Flames because of his tough coaching style.

Our system is nowhere near the same as it was in 2004, we were a much better defensive team back then.

mac_82
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
We still have a system?

nightfx
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
We still have a system?
No, we haven't had a identity since Sutter stepped down from coaching. :(

Kloubek
04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
My 2 cents:

Calgary needs a new coach. I'm well versed with Keenan's coaching style from the time he was in Vancouver. He can initially push a team to do well. But after a while, they often tire of his antics. In order for a team to do well in a sustained manner, they need to buy into the coach's vision of how the team should play. It's just hard to buy into everything Keenan wants.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Sutter. He made some moves which I thought were good ideas.

I figured that Jolkenin was a bit of risk, since he wasn't playing that great in Phoenix. He came to Calgary, and continued playing "decent" hockey. Back in Florida, he was a monster, so it was an educated risk Sutter took. Although Ollie didn't produce like Calgary hoped, I think he's still a talented player who can contribute a fair amount. I hope he finds chemistry with his teammates, since he just didn't really seem to gel with anyone.

I thought aquiring Bertuzzi was a good idea. 44 points at 2 million dollars is a wicked deal. Mind you, it's deceiving due to the amount of stupid penalties and questionable defense he exhibits. But then if you factor in the fact he's hard to get off the puck, he does tend to create room for his teammates.

Dion did not play up to his 7 million dollar paycheque. It's not so much that he didn't put up as good of numbers this year, but his defensive play was worse than ever, and his physical style was not as evident. If he's going to stay with Calgary, I'd like to see him up his game to previous years' levels. I think Elisha is sucking the energy right out of him. Literally.

Kipper has been on a steady decline since coming to Calgary. His play in the regular season this year was not acceptable, and he didn't up his game much in the playoffs either. He is being paid as a premier goalie, and he has to play like one for Calgary to be successful. Quite honestly - he has the skills, but I think his body is having a difficult time keeping up. Calgary needs to find a better backup (at least short term) and play Kipper less often next year.

Good points about this year:
- Sarich really played well this year. He should stay for sure.
- Glencross had a career year, and I suspect he'll really light it up next year.
- Conroy remained healthy, and put up a respectible amount of points while exhibiting excellent defensive awareness.
- Cammalleri had a great year - it's too bad he's likely going to demand too much, which will result in him leaving the Flames.
- Bertuzzi did well with an undervalued contract.
- Moss really showed what he's capable of. I also expect him to do well next year. He's signed to a wicked contract.

I think going forward, Calgary looks ok with a healthy Regehr, but not good enough to challenge for the cup. To improve:

- They will need to replace the scoring of Cammalleri somehow in the off-season. The emergence of Moss and Glencross will not be enough to carry the offense.
- They really should get rid of Kipper, as I suspect next year will be even worse.
- They should resign Bertuzzi, assuming he's willing to accept a similar contract as this year.
- They need to sign a better backup. McElhinney shows promise, but he's not at the NHL level yet.
- Get a new coach.

rage2
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Dion did not play up to his 7 million dollar paycheque. It's not so much that he didn't put up as good of numbers this year, but his defensive play was worse than ever, and his physical style was not as evident. If he's going to stay with Calgary, I'd like to see him up his game to previous years' levels. I think Elisha is sucking the energy right out of him. Literally.
I went to several games this year and noticed the same thing... he was just lazy to the puck and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out he re-injured his hip sometime in December, and has been playing hurt since then. Why he didn't opt for surgery then to be ready for playoffs, we'll never know. He's scheduled for it already as soon as we got knocked out of the playoffs.

He also played with broken ribs and a mild concussion during the last month.

2002civic
04-30-2009, 02:56 PM

On the bright side, with the recession and another first round exit, we might have better chances at season tickets! I guess 93% renewed:( the flames make you renew before the playoffs to get playoff tickets

2002civic
04-30-2009, 02:56 PM

I went to several games this year and noticed the same thing... he was just lazy to the puck and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out he re-injured his hip sometime in December, and has been playing hurt since then. Why he didn't opt for surgery then to be ready for playoffs, we'll never know. He's scheduled for it already as soon as we got knocked out of the playoffs.

He also played with broken ribs and a mild concussion during the last month.
he also had a left knee injury

2002civic
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
My 2 cents:

Calgary needs a new coach. I'm well versed with Keenan's coaching style from the time he was in Vancouver. He can initially push a team to do well. But after a while, they often tire of his antics. In order for a team to do well in a sustained manner, they need to buy into the coach's vision of how the team should play. It's just hard to buy into everything Keenan wants.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Sutter. He made some moves which I thought were good ideas.

I figured that Jolkenin was a bit of risk, since he wasn't playing that great in Phoenix. He came to Calgary, and continued playing "decent" hockey. Back in Florida, he was a monster, so it was an educated risk Sutter took. Although Ollie didn't produce like Calgary hoped, I think he's still a talented player who can contribute a fair amount. I hope he finds chemistry with his teammates, since he just didn't really seem to gel with anyone.

I thought aquiring Bertuzzi was a good idea. 44 points at 2 million dollars is a wicked deal. Mind you, it's deceiving due to the amount of stupid penalties and questionable defense he exhibits. But then if you factor in the fact he's hard to get off the puck, he does tend to create room for his teammates.

Kipper has been on a steady decline since coming to Calgary. His play in the regular season this year was not acceptable, and he didn't up his game much in the playoffs either. He is being paid as a premier goalie, and he has to play like one for Calgary to be successful. Quite honestly - he has the skills, but I think his body is having a difficult time keeping up. Calgary needs to find a better backup (at least short term) and play Kipper less often next year.

Good points about this year:
- Sarich really played well this year. He should stay for sure.
- Glencross had a career year, and I suspect he'll really light it up next year.
- Conroy remained healthy, and put up a respectible amount of points while exhibiting excellent defensive awareness.
- Cammalleri had a great year - it's too bad he's likely going to demand too much, which will result in him leaving the Flames.
- Bertuzzi did well with an undervalued contract.
- Moss really showed what he's capable of. I also expect him to do well next year. He's signed to a wicked contract.

I think going forward, Calgary looks ok with a healthy Regehr, but not good enough to challenge for the cup. To improve:

- They will need to replace the scoring of Cammalleri somehow in the off-season. The emergence of Moss and Glencross will not be enough to carry the offense.
- They really should get rid of Kipper, as I suspect next year will be even worse.
- They should resign Bertuzzi, assuming he's willing to accept a similar contract as this year.
- They need to sign a better backup. McElhinney shows promise, but he's not at the NHL level yet.
- Get a new coach.

Kipper has stats that are poor because of the play in front of him, throw brodeur and any other goalie with calgarys defense this year and they will have similar numbers, our defense was non existant under keenan this year. The flmaes need a defense first coach to help and kipper will return to form IMO

SilverGS
04-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
I guess 93% renewed:(

Where was this info from?

That would mean there are about 1000+ season tickets available? Assuming sold in pairs 500+ people could get a set.

2002civic
04-30-2009, 03:14 PM
kk not veryhappy with Keenan found this on CP...

......Not "Verbatum", but very close to what he said.

"We have no problem with our Coach. Even if we hated our Coach we would say that we Love him, so thank you for not making me answer that question"

From an interview on the fan today

2002civic
04-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Where was this info from?

That would mean there are about 1000+ season tickets available? Assuming sold in pairs 500+ people could get a set.
I read it somewhere on calgary puck and a buddy mentioned it. The problem is to get playoff tickets you must renew so as long as we make the playoffs no one is going to drop out as everyone wants playoff tickets...

Kloubek
04-30-2009, 03:27 PM

Kipper has stats that are poor because of the play in front of him, throw brodeur and any other goalie with calgarys defense this year and they will have similar numbers, our defense was non existant under keenan this year. The flmaes need a defense first coach to help and kipper will return to form IMO

I disagree. Yes, Calgary's D was less than stellar this year.

But that would primarily contribute to a higher gaa for a goalie. Look at Luongo's stats while he was in Florida. He was sporting a GAA of about 2.5-3 over those years, but the worst save % he had was in the 01/02 season at .915 - which is still very good. And if you look at his gaa for his best year (03-04) he had an sparkling gaa of .931, yet his gaa was 2.43 - which is really quite average.

Kipper's save % with Calgary:
03-04: .933 (amazing)
04-05: Walkout
05-06: .923 (excellent)
06-07: .917 (very good)
07-08: .906 (average)
08-09: .903 (below average)
09-10: .895 - following the average rate of decline over the last 6 years.

.895 is not only NOT in "elite" range, it is barely passable for a BACKUP goalie. I could care less how many goals are scored against him, but as a former "elite" goalie, I would expect him to stop the puck at least 91% of the time at a minimum.

2002civic
04-30-2009, 03:36 PM

But that would primarily contribute to a higher gaa for a goalie. Look at Luongo's stats while he was in Florida. He was sporting a GAA of about 2.5-3 over those years, but the worst save % he had was in the 01/02 season at .915 - which is still very good. And if you look at his gaa for his best year (03-04) he had an sparkling gaa of .931, yet his gaa was 2.43 - which is really quite average.

.895 is not only NOT in "elite" range, it is barely passable for a BACKUP goalie. I could care less how many goals are scored against him, but as a former "elite" goalie, I would expect him to stop the puck at least 91% of the time at a minimum.

Every shot on kipper was a scoring chance this year. A bad goalie doesnt win as many games as he did this year. Florida was a bad team but had decent defense, they gave up a lot of shots, but most were from the outside thus padding his save %.
He will not drop below .900 so .895 shouldnt even be brought up.

2002civic
04-30-2009, 03:46 PM
what the flames need to do:
1. Clean house in terms of coaching staff. Marcoux has done nothing with our goalies, Preston and Playfair are useless and keenan ha slost respect in town.

2. Keep sutter. The only negative is his hiring of coaches (or lack there of) We have had better players drafted by him while drafting in the higher slots. Imagine what he would do with a top 10 pick consistantly...Anyone who wants him gons is on glue!

3. Find a reliable back up for 20-25 games. Maybe Mcelhaney, but if the coach doesnt play him we wont know. I think he has the potential personally given the chance.

4. Sign Squid to a long term deal that averages 3-4 million (franzen type) or let him walk.

5. As much as I like Bertuzzi, he takes penalties (mostly due to reputation) that cost us and he is injury prone. Let him walk. With our depth he is expendable IMO. Lundmark can float and be creative or Moss has the size.

6. Try and sign bouwmeester. He is building a house here and his girl is hear so you would think he would have interest. He would give us a solid top 4, but this is only possible if we lose Cammy, which i think would be ok if Backlund pans out(plus he is on a entry level salary)

rage2
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I hate how ppl keep defending Kipper because of poor defense. As an elite goaltender, you're supposed to make the big saves, and not let in soft goals. I can't even count how many times he's let in weak ass goals. The guys that I watch every regular season game with, we all expect a soft goal from kipper every game. That's how bad it's been.

Another HUGE problem with kipper is rebound control. It's gotten worst and worst over the years, and this year was just outta control. A lot of his killer saves was because he generated scoring chances from poor rebound control... he was the one that generated all those chances that he sometimes made a hero save (which IMO gave a perception that he was better).

Honestly, if he didn't let in those softies and/or he had better rebound control, he would've easily won 50 games regular season. We probably would've swept Chicago in 4 instead of going back to chicago 2-2 and eventually losing. Throw brodeur in front of the net, and we would've done a LOT better.

The guy's gotta stop doing coke, that's where his real problem is ;).

nightfx
04-30-2009, 05:05 PM

It's two years... I won't give up on our Vezina winning goalie yet. He might never be as good as he was in 04, 06, but I do expect him to rebound from these past 2 seasons.

Brodeur's save % from 99-02
1999: .906
2000: .906
2001: .910
2002: .906

The two years prior to that he had a % of .927 and .917, was he on the decline...? of course not... he even won a Stanley cup despite having mediocre regular season stats because his team stepped up and so did he in the playoffs, something the Flames didn't do.

Kipper is not the problem, and besides... other than our rookies who could we get instead of Kipper this year? Biron? :rofl:

mac_82
04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Throw brodeur in front of the net, and we would've done a LOT better.

I always thought that too until I saw the last 60 seconds of the Devils - Canes game. :facepalm:

extm88
04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Sutter has to stay, hes one of the best GM's in the league.
Bring mac t in as an assistant lol (jk)
Keenans a good coach for our team. Soft coaches wont be able to coach alot of these guys.
Bert should stay if he asks for no more than a 20% raise.
Cammi shoulda been traded at the deadline when he was worth ALOT. I like him alot but we can free up alot of space.
Kippers a go to guy
Dump Jim Vandermeer. I swear he aims for shin pads when shooting from the point causing a 2 on 1 the other way.

At the end of the day, the PP and injuries didnt allow us to compete to the level of the blackhawks.
And nothing can be taken from the Hawks, they could go all the way. They will knock the knucks in 5. They say the hardest round is the first. The knucks basically had a bye and are starting round 1 while the hawks are playoff ready.

malcolmk14
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Bring in Jacques Lemaire!

2002civic
05-01-2009, 10:22 AM

I always thought that too until I saw the last 60 seconds of the Devils - Canes game. :facepalm:
no kidding

2002civic
05-01-2009, 10:30 AM

I hate how ppl keep defending Kipper because of poor defense. As an elite goaltender, you're supposed to make the big saves, and not let in soft goals. I can't even count how many times he's let in weak ass goals. The guys that I watch every regular season game with, we all expect a soft goal from kipper every game. That's how bad it's been.

Another HUGE problem with kipper is rebound control. It's gotten worst and worst over the years, and this year was just outta control. A lot of his killer saves was because he generated scoring chances from poor rebound control... he was the one that generated all those chances that he sometimes made a hero save (which IMO gave a perception that he was better).

Honestly, if he didn't let in those softies and/or he had better rebound control, he would've easily won 50 games regular season. We probably would've swept Chicago in 4 instead of going back to chicago 2-2 and eventually losing. Throw brodeur in front of the net, and we would've done a LOT better.

The guy's gotta stop doing coke, that's where his real problem is ;).

like those elite goalies brodeur, lundqvist and nabakov out in the first round too? Hillier, Thomas, Ward, Varlamov are all in the second round and none are really elite.

Maybe times are changing but honestly Calgary was the worst defensive team in the league, they thought they could outscore everyone and the well dried up in the first round.

Besides brodeur what goalie has played well in the playoffs playing in that many regular season games? no one.

Yes I agree he let in a lot more softies than he should, but he continued to make the unreal saves consistantly, possibly because the flames hung him out to dry. He can play that many games, but he will not perform at 100% in all of them.

ZorroAMG
05-01-2009, 10:47 AM
What games were you watching past february? Keptitsoft was a fucking sieve.

A|pine
05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
If the rumours for JayBow coming to Calgary hold any truth that would be amazing.

Phaneuf
Gio

Regehr
Pardy

Bowmeester
Sarich

I would let Aucoin and Warrener walk as well as Cammalleri. I think Jokinen will pull through and perform better this season.

Backup Goaltending they should definitely get the youth involved. I've heard good things about Irving and Keetley (medicine hat + Mem cup). I honestly think Sutter has done a good job. Before we used to be really tight defensively with Sutter as coach but when he handed things off, defensively things just sort of unraveled.

Up front they need to re-sign Lundmark, and Boyd. With Backlund coming and hopefuly Nemisz from the Spitfires (Who destroyed the Battallion's and Hodgeson 10-1 last game) will hopefully fill up for Cammalleri. I think Nemisz will fit in nicely he is a point a game for the OHL and is a big kid at 6''3. Coaching wise I think they'll stick with Keenan but they definitely need to tighten up defensively and let playfair go. I do not blame kipper for the team's short coming. They left him out and gave the opposition quality scoring chances. Yes some goals were questionable - but let's face it hockey is a team game and he wasn't the only one who wasn't clicking. Hopefully he'll only play 40-50 games this season and regain his form.

malcolmk14
05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
No way Nemisz plays next season. Backlund, MAYBE a call-up for the second half.

max_boost
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Camms is going to walk. JayB isn't coming because we can't afford him.

Re-focus on defense, let the kids play more and see where that takes us.

2002civic
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14
No way Nemisz plays next season. Backlund, MAYBE a call-up for the second half.

I agree Nemisz wont play next year, but Backlund will start the season in calgary if he performs like most think he will in training camp, would I like him to start in the AHL? maybe..but if he performs he WILL make the team and I think he will

2002civic
05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Camms is going to walk. JayB isn't coming because we can't afford him.

Re-focus on defense, let the kids play more and see where that takes us.
if cammy walks we would possibly have jay bou money...it all depends on how many prospects fill the roster with cheaper salaries, subtract camy and aucoin and thats 7.6 million and i think jayb will fetch 6.5-7 for a 4 yr deal, it is doable

mac_82
05-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I believe Sutter was quoted as saying that Backlund only stays if he cracks the top 6. If not he will be playing in the AHL.

mac_82
05-01-2009, 02:27 PM

if cammy walks we would possibly have jay bou money...it all depends on how many prospects fill the roster with cheaper salaries, subtract camy and aucoin and thats 7.6 million and i think jayb will fetch 6.5-7 for a 4 yr deal, it is doable

These contracts are off the books:

Cammalleri 3.6
Bertuzzi 1.95
Aucion 4
Warrener 2.5

We do have enough to sign a top end D man to replace Aucoin, but I doubt it will be Bouwmeester. I hope so, but I doubt it.

I would rather we spread the money around than adding another big contract to the core.

A|pine
05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
It would be wicked if they could bring Sutter back from NJ and maybe sign Shanny.

2002civic
05-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by A|pine
It would be wicked if they could bring Sutter back from NJ and maybe sign Shanny.
Do you mean Brendan Shanahan? no thanks...

nightfx
05-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by A|pine
We don't need anymore old farts.

Quizzes
05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I think Sutter has learned his lesson about capping the salary cap. He'll probably play it safe and leave a little room for some call-ups in case injuries pile up again. I think the roster can still be competitive next year without signing any big free agents this off-season (of course, we'll never know what Sutter's thinking).

My projected line-up:
* denotes estimated salary

Bourque (1.4) - Jokinen (5.5) - Iginla (7.0)
Lundmark (1.5)* - Langkow (4.25) - Boyd (1.0)*
Glencross (1.2) - Conroy (1.0) - Moss (1.3)
Nystrom (0.775) - Primeau (1.4) - Peters (0.7)*

Phaneuf (6.5) - Regehr (3.5)
Sarich (3.7) - Vandermeer (2.3)
Giordano (1.0) - Pardy (1.0)*

Kiprusoff (7.0)
McElhinney (0.75)*

Total Cap Hit: 52.775

I wanna jump on the Bouwmeester train, but realistically, he'll be too expensive. Call-ups will be a sure-bet. I'm hoping Backlund develops his game in the AHL before we rush him into the bigs. Our depth on defense looks good with Pelech, Negrin and Aulie, etc. A new coaching staff is a necessity... Keenan and his crew just can't roll with the big boys. This team just needs to get back to playing fundamental defense and, for the love of God, stick to a system. Hopefully they will give Iggy some PK time so he can be a better defensive player.

malcolmk14
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
My projected line-up:

Bourque (1.35) - Jokinen (5.25) - Iginla (7.0)
Lundmark (1.0)* - Langkow (4.5) - Boyd (1.0)*
Glencross (1.2) - Conroy (1.05) - Moss (1.3)
Nystrom (0.688) - Primeau (1.4) - Peters (0.7)*

Phaneuf (6.5) - Regehr (4.02)
Sarich (3.6) - Vandermeer (2.3)
Giordano (0.892) - Pardy (0.892)*

Kiprusoff (5.833)
McElhinney (0.75)*

Updated to reflect actual salaries for Kiprusoff, Bourque, Jokinen, Langkow, Conroy, Regehr, Sarich, Giordano. All of which you had incorrect numbers for. I've also changed your Free Agent numbers to ones that are probably slightly more realistic.

Total Cap Hit after changes: 51.225 Million.

Lots of room to play.

hks
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes

My projected line-up:

Bourque (1.4) - Jokinen (5.5) - Iginla (7.0)
Lundmark (1.5)* - Langkow (4.25) - Boyd (1.0)*
Glencross (1.2) - Conroy (1.0) - Moss (1.3)
Nystrom (0.775) - Primeau (1.4) - Peters (0.7)*

Phaneuf (6.5) - Regehr (3.5)
Sarich (3.7) - Vandermeer (2.3)
Giordano (1.0) - Pardy (1.0)*

Kiprusoff (7.0)
McElhinney (0.75)*

Total Cap Hit: 52.775

does that team look like it will get past the 1st round next year? if anything, that team is worse than this year. boyd and lundmark are not capable of playing on the second line. primeau at 1.4 is fucking dumb, and vandermeer at 2.3 is probably sutter's worst decision as gm.

we need to get rid of vandermeer and primeau. this is not the old nhl, they are both slow as fuck and don't do anything productive. trading them for 4th rounders or demoting them both to the farm like anders would a step in the right direction. this leaves room for a guy like pelech to crack the lineup, just like pardy this year. j.bo would be an amazing pickup. too bad he'll ask for phaneuf money. Beauchemin would be a smarter choice, he has a howitzer of a shot and probably will sign in the 2-3 million range.
keenan is good, but brent sutter is better. getting brent sutter would be another amazing pickup.
we need a top 4 defense man and a top 6 winger, and we need to sign a few of your younger guys. we have 46mil committed to next year so that leaves us just enough room to get it done.

Quizzes
05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
We can safely assume most of the UFAs aren't coming back. By no means is this a depth chart come next year, I was just trying to fill out the lineups to try and reflect what the Flames currently have on their roster. I do think this team can get past the 1st round with the right coaching staff in place. This lineup certainly looks better than the 03-04 team.

Of course, getting a top-6 forward and/or a top-4 defenseman would be awesome... for the right price. But for now, we'll never know what's up Sutter's sleeve. Draft day this year may be interesting.

2002civic
05-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by hks

does that team look like it will get past the 1st round next year? if anything, that team is worse than this year. boyd and lundmark are not capable of playing on the second line. primeau at 1.4 is fucking dumb, and vandermeer at 2.3 is probably sutter's worst decision as gm.

we need to get rid of vandermeer and primeau. this is not the old nhl, they are both slow as fuck and don't do anything productive. trading them for 4th rounders or demoting them both to the farm like anders would a step in the right direction. this leaves room for a guy like pelech to crack the lineup, just like pardy this year. j.bo would be an amazing pickup. too bad he'll ask for phaneuf money. Beauchemin would be a smarter choice, he has a howitzer of a shot and probably will sign in the 2-3 million range.
keenan is good, but brent sutter is better. getting brent sutter would be another amazing pickup.
we need a top 4 defense man and a top 6 winger, and we need to sign a few of your younger guys. we have 46mil committed to next year so that leaves us just enough room to get it done.

agree with a lot but the way primeau started the year before the injury makes me want him on our team, he was NOT slow and was a great crash and bang 4th liner

malcolmk14
05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Primeau is not slow.

He hasn't played in a while, and people forget how effective he is as a solid fourth line grinder.

toyboy88
05-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Sutter: "No big changes"

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277520

2002civic
05-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
Sutter: "No big changes"

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277520
and you believe him after the Jermaine Franklin TSN incident? ;) :rofl:

dawwgy
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
New Rumor:
Phaneuf to Florida for the rights to talk with J-Bo before July 1st PLUS 3-4 "assets"

Personally I feel this would be a good move, IF one of those assets were someone like Booth or Weiss.... also I would think there would be some sorta condition if we were unable to sign J-Bo .... like a first rounder or another decent player.

I like Phaneuf and all but i think its time to move on... team needs a shakeup, if we can get J-Bo and Booth for #3 I will be happy!

Source:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=21084&blogger_id=1

Although Eklund has been way off in the past with his Rumors so take it with a grain of salt.

dawwgy
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Another round of Rumors popped up today...

Ottawa goin after Cammelari, Atlanta and St Louis are interested as well ... of course Burke In Toronto will have something to say about him....

Keenan may already be fired! Supposedly there is a news conference today .... possibly with his firing as the topic...

Edmonton is actively persuing Brent Sutter as a replacement Head Coach...

A reliable NHL source says that Jay Bo is about 80% sure to sign in Calgary, whether it be thru a trade for the rights to talk to him or whether it be at the July 1 deadline where there may be several teams bidding on him. His GF lives here and he is building a house here as well ... seems like a no brainer.

88CRX
05-08-2009, 08:30 AM
If its reported on hockey buzz that pretty much mean it's completely made up and will never happen.

mac_82
05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
If its reported on hockey buzz that pretty much mean it's completely made up and will never happen.

No kidding. If Eklund reports it, it is 99% sure to NOT happen. The guy is a joke.

R-Audi
05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Sad but true... I would be all over this trade if it actually happened. (I suppose depending on what else we got from Florida..)

dawwgy
05-08-2009, 08:49 AM
yeah I'm aware Eklund likes to stir the pot, but the J-bo+ deal would make sense for the Panthers since they will lose him for nothing come July 1st. Sure the flames have a better then most chance to sign J-Bo come July 1st but making this deal earlier could make sence because (a) they might have a hard time fitting him into salary if phaneuf was still around and (b) could possibly end up paying millions more after a bidding war for his services. Plus they could get a decent top 6 scoring forward in Booth or Weiss to replace Cammy if the deal was made prior to July 1.

R-Audi
05-08-2009, 08:54 AM
I think it makes total sense.... Just a matter of it happening post Eklund.
I was talking about this with a buddy before we saw it.. but thinking more along the lines of Phanuef+Langkow for Bouw, maybe Horton and someone else.. then would could possibly have room to sign Cammaleri as well!
I htink it would be a little far fetched.. but something similiar could work out.

When is the supposed press conference to happen?

88CRX
05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by dawwgy
Plus they could get a decent top 6 scoring forward in Booth or Weiss to replace Cammy if the deal was made prior to July 1.

Florida is NOT going to throw in Booth or Weiss. They're Florida's best 2 forwards, beside Horton.

Not gonna happen.

Phaneuf will stay and he will go on to win many Norris trophies as a Calgary Flame.

mac_82
05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Why would we trade for Bouwmeetser when we could sign him for nothing?

IF it were to happen, why not do something like this:

Sign Bouw for aprox. the same as what Phaneuf makes.

Dish Phaneuf to someone for a package of prospects/top picks.

It is not going to happen, but why trade so much for the "rights" to negotiate for Bouw.

mac_82
05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Typically "rights" are traded for conditional picks.

Quizzes
05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
If J-Bo was 80% leaning towards signing in Calgary, why would Sutter trade away Phaneuf when he has an 80% chance of getting him? If he wanted to fit J-Bo and get rid of Phaneuf (so they can fit under the cap), best try and trade him to a team with a high pick and get a whole schwack of prospects in return.

I don't think Phaneuf's going anywhere either.

Edit: mac_82 beat me to it. I'm slow in the response.

R-Audi
05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Eklunds post said Phaneuf for the rights of Bou and 2-3 other players... so it would totally make sense as we couldnt possibly sign Bou to a decent contract without moving some salary. If FLA is already losing Bou, coudlnt hurt to make him part of a package to get a good replacement D

stevieo
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Eklunds post said Phaneuf for the rights of Bou and 2-3 other players... so it would totally make sense as we couldnt possibly sign Bou to a decent contract without moving some salary. If FLA is already losing Bou, coudlnt hurt to make him part of a package to get a good replacement D

whats worse is that you take eklund posts seriously

95teetee
05-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Why would we trade for Bouwmeetser when we could sign him for nothing?
no kidding- trading for someone who becomes a UFA on July 1 would be possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

2002civic
05-09-2009, 09:23 AM
^^^exactly, eklund is a retard, but the people that pay him 20 bucks are even more retarded.
Why trade for the rights when he wont sign before anyway. He IS going to test the market so why waste giving up anything to have him say that he would rather wait and see what is out there...

petoria
05-09-2009, 02:34 PM
just curious, i've heard from one of my buddies that each year the flames sell all their used equipment like sticks and equipment. are they doing that again this year? when do all these items go on sale, and is it available to the general public?

R-Audi
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Its advertised in the Paper, and on their site when it happens. Just a tip after going for the last two.. if you arent there at least 4 hours early.. there wont be much left. I beleive the guys who bought Kippers pads slept overnight! Pretty effin stupid as they paid what the pads would cost brand new!!