PDA

View Full Version : contractor hasn't paid me, what to do?

black13
04-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Over 3 months ago I was working for a contractor until some theft happened in one of the jobs and jobs were cut because of this.

Now almost 4 months later, I've only gotten a fraction of my last pay cheque due to contractor saying there was no more work and he had used all the remaining money to get himself through. I've found out recently that work had started up again.
Calling the guy only leads to him saying he's working another job to get by and he's got nothing.

Anything I can do to get this money? There really isn't any paperwork saying that I worked for him. What can I do? Would rather get this solved quick than a long process.

luv2ride_bikes
04-28-2009, 07:43 AM
If you where working under the table then there isn't anything you can do. If this was legit, then you could phone the Alberta Labor board for advice. If that doesn't work, then figure out how much he owes you, then take that much in his tools and sell it.

nonlinear
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
can't you put a lein on the property or something like that? then he won't be able to sell it until he pays you.

ianmcc
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by black13
There really isn't any paperwork saying that I worked for him. What can I do?
No paperwork=no lien.
No paperwork=no money.
Next time pay your taxes and you won't get screwed over.
Sorry but I have no sympathy for you. Live and learn.

stretch
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc

No paperwork=no lien.
No paperwork=no money.
Next time pay your taxes and you won't get screwed over.
Sorry but I have no sympathy for you. Live and learn.

Sorry, OP, but I'm going to have to agree with this. You can't expect the rules to apply only when it's convenient for you.

Weapon_R
04-28-2009, 02:49 PM
How were you paid? Do you have some proof of a paycheck or was it cash?

im2fst4u
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Were you hired on as casual labor and if not were you hired as a contractor? Hopefully you were hired as casual labor!

I have seen this situation before (a few years ago and unless the laws have changed it will work).
If you worked on a site that you can prove you were on you can put a builders lien on the site.
Example, you worked for a contractor on a roofing project and then he decided not to pay you your entitled wages. You would put a lien on the said property and until the lien is removed (you have been paid) the owner of said property is not able to sell thus the owner would help you in recovering wages so he can be lien free.
I would call this former employer and explain to him that you intend on putting liens on the properties/sites that you have worked on and see what his reaction is.
The key to this is you must be able to prove that you had worked on said site (former employees, other contractors etc).
In your post you mentioned "pay cheque" so I will assume that there is some paper trail. Even if there is no paper trail you can still slap the lien on the sites and see what happens.

I hope this is still the same as it was years ago....worth a shot.

black13
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
Were you hired on as casual labor and if not were you hired as a contractor? Hopefully you were hired as casual labor!

I have seen this situation before (a few years ago and unless the laws have changed it will work).
If you worked on a site that you can prove you were on you can put a builders lien on the site.
Example, you worked for a contractor on a roofing project and then he decided not to pay you your entitled wages. You would put a lien on the said property and until the lien is removed (you have been paid) the owner of said property is not able to sell thus the owner would help you in recovering wages so he can be lien free.
I would call this former employer and explain to him that you intend on putting liens on the properties/sites that you have worked on and see what his reaction is.
The key to this is you must be able to prove that you had worked on said site (former employees, other contractors etc).
In your post you mentioned "pay cheque" so I will assume that there is some paper trail. Even if there is no paper trail you can still slap the lien on the sites and see what happens.

I hope this is still the same as it was years ago....worth a shot.

Yea I was hired as casual labor and yes I was payed in paychecks with the business name on them. Also the person who gave the jobs to the contractor can verify that I worked on the last few jobs.

But the contract work is a trucking company, can I still put a lien on that? How would I go about doing this?

Also in terms of taxes, well he told me I have to declare them myself. I'm not too familiar with the tax system to know about it.

And what about small claims court? Would that work?