PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the squat

Oz-
04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Good article on how to clean up your squat form.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/cleaningupthesquat.pdf

max_boost
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
That's a wide stance! :eek:

I love doing squats. It's my favorite workout by far. Deads are tough on my lower back but it's expected since you are working it right? But man, squats are the best. I have a lot my strength in my lower body. Squatting 3X/week is no problems for me. :D

Oz-
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Play around with your stance, I don't find those stances that he has picture wide at all. Just find something that you find comfortable, but can get the required depth.

Narrower puts more strain on your knees, wider brings the strain to your hips/glutes. But with the wide stance you get to take advantage of the stretch reflex of your hips coming out of the hole.

For you little guys that don't think you can do big weights think again.

Jaroslaw Olech
165lbs with 2 hour weigh in
Lifts in the IPF and drug tested by the WAPA. (Still a possibility he could be dirty)

792lb squat
7bCaJUaTy5w

682lb deadlift
xXNBY7sfUyY

GQBalla
04-29-2009, 07:51 AM
what a tank

lint
04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Oz-
Play around with your stance, I don't find those stances that he has picture wide at all. Just find something that you find comfortable, but can get the required depth.

Narrower puts more strain on your knees, wider brings the strain to your hips/glutes. But with the wide stance you get to take advantage of the stretch reflex of your hips coming out of the hole.

Wouldn't it also depend on the positioning of the feet? High bar, narrow stance, feet pointed straight ahead, hard on the knees. But a shoulder width stance with feet pointed out 30-45 degrees, allows for depth and activates the stretch reflex too.

I think it should be noted that there are a few schools of thought on the squat (high bar, low bar, box, powerlifter...), and as an individual pick the one that suits your needs.

Oz-
04-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lint

Wouldn't it also depend on the positioning of the feet? High bar, narrow stance, feet pointed straight ahead, hard on the knees. But a shoulder width stance with feet pointed out 30-45 degrees, allows for depth and activates the stretch reflex too.

I think it should be noted that there are a few schools of thought on the squat (high bar, low bar, box, powerlifter...), and as an individual pick the one that suits your needs.

I agree on as an individual pick the one that feels comfortable.

As for the stretch reflex, the wider the stance the more of a stretch reflex you get IMO. You also shift the lift to the posterior chain.

Bringing up the high/low bar, box, powerlifter things are just over-complicating things. Of course there are trains of thought here...1 extreme is Rippetoe where the polar opposite is Louie Simmons with his Westside philosophy. IPF lifters are pretty "narrow" stance squatters for the most part, because they have to worry about proper depth to get the good lift signal.

Again. Do what is most comfortable for you, some people just watch a Rippetoe video and think that is gospel. Personally, I don't think so. He might have some very good points, but you have to translate it to what works for you. Same thing with the guide above, which also talks about some very common mistakes that I am sure everyone that has ever squatted has committed the same mistakes.

lint
07-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Thought this was a great article that compared the various squat versions, with the conclusion: Strength development differences are minimal between the squat versions, but the stresses on the hips, knees and back are not. So pick the version that you like best. Once you've got that down, push as much weight as you can as fast as you can.

http://www.jopp.us/freeinfo//squat_mastery.pdf