PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ontario Rust???

stikkyp
04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm looking into purchasing a Nissan 240sx the was originally from Ontario and i just wanted a couple helpful hints when purchasing. The rust doesn't look to bad on the outside but im worried about the rust from inside out. The car looks to be in ok shape and its a 2 owner car. Vehicle cam efrom Kapuskasing Ontario and was owner by a lady there. I have the car proof printed out and it confirms the sellers statments.. Car was brought to calgary in 2004 and been there ever since. Vehicle has never been in an accident on car proof but i understand sometimes they aren't reported.. Body is in good shape and he said he had the motor and tranny rebuilt 12,000km ago and has the reciept to prove it. Just wondering if Northen Ontario has the same amount of humidity and rust issues that southern ontario has..

Any help would be great.... THANKS

bourge73
04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
I am from there, they use a salt and sand mix on the roads, and no they dont have the same weather/humidity etc that Sothern ON gets. Wouldnt say there is no issues with rust compared to AB, BC etc but if it is in good shape ....arent the 240's known for rust anyways? Just my opinion.

stikkyp
04-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes they are known for rust but i've never seen cars from that area so not sure if it was better or worse.. I know that calgary uses a salt/sand mix as where here we only use sand in Medicine Hat..

911fever
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
get it looked at by a bodyshop, just ask them to tell you if its been in an accident or has some rust building up. Most bodyshops can do it for like $50. Its worth it if you want to be extra careful

stikkyp
05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Ill post some pics asap... under the hood looks ok but really greasy and oil stained behind the firewall.. the bolts on the struts dont look to terrible and the strut mounts looks to be in ok shape.. however if you look at the interior pics the foot rest screws are orange with rust it looks like.. let me knwo what you guys think... i dont want to spend $2k and get a rusted out car.. plus the drive to calgary would be a waste of time... Thanks

ShermanEF9
05-01-2009, 01:42 PM
its two grand man... you can't expect much out of it.

stikkyp
05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
interior pic

stikkyp
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
under hood

stikkyp
05-01-2009, 01:53 PM
under hood 2

stikkyp
05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I know its only $2k but $2000 for a rusted out car doesn't make sense... Im hoping in the future that thsi will be my sr20det body..

Abeo
05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
By the looks of things...
The frame rail near the cat and floor under the driver's feet has a hole, the trunk is rusting above the muffler, the rockers have rust or have been re-done and there is rust behind the rear mud flaps which is creeping up the fender/quarter pinch area. Northern Ontario is worse on cars than southern Ontario, but either way the 240's out there are usually in rough shape.

MoDo27
05-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Its an old 240, that bitch is going to look like swiss cheese from underneath.

Let me guess, he's selling it as-is ? I dunno, I had a 92 G20 and that was the rustiest car Ive ever owned. Those old Nissans were shit when it came to that....