PDA

View Full Version : ethical spying/entrapment?

gmoney82
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Multiple offices in my building have had items in their offices stolen recently,...including mine. No sign of forcible entry, and doors are always locked and propped open until we leave for the day. only people with access to rooms is supposed to be cleaning staff.

Anyways, is there an issue to putting an indiscrete webcam with motion sensor software running on my computer? Whoever has been doin this has been going through desks, so what IF i plant some bait coins on desk beside computer in good view of webcam and get a good picture, would i have issues both security and privacy wise?

I don't have admin rights on my computer so getting the webcam and software to work is another issue, I'll work on that ;)

alloroc
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82
Multiple offices in my building have had items in their offices stolen recently,...including mine. No sign of forcible entry, and doors are always locked and propped open until we leave for the day. only people with access to rooms is supposed to be cleaning staff.

Anyways, is there an issue to putting an indiscrete webcam with motion sensor software running on my computer? Whoever has been doin this has been going through desks, so what IF i plant some bait coins on desk beside computer in good view of webcam and get a good picture, would i have issues both security and privacy wise?

I don't have admin rights on my computer so getting the webcam and software to work is another issue, I'll work on that ;)

Anyone have a laptop with a camera in the office?

gmoney82
04-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Anyone have a laptop with a camera in the office?

Not one I can use. Camera could get stolen as well, as thief is stealing pocketable smaller items like my ipod and coffee coupons

CMW403
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
i don't think so man, and even if it was entrapment you wouldnt be taking them to court once you found out who it was would you? just beating their ass

sputnik
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I think some of you might want to learn the definition of "entrapment".

Shunsui
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Not one I can use. Camera could get stolen as well, as thief is stealing pocketable smaller items like my ipod and coffee coupons

Laptops nowadays have integrated webcams...

But don't know about privacy but if someone is going through my desk, and there's no one doing really anything about it, I'd try to handle it myself.

gmoney82
04-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I think some of you might want to learn the definition of "entrapment".

according to wikipedia:
Entrapment is the act of a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense which the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[1] In many jurisdictions, entrapment is a possible defense against criminal guilt.

obviously i'm not in law enforcement - but there are issues to doing that sort of thing at a place of employment. If I was at home I wouldn't have even asked the queston.

anschutz_92
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Is it ethical? Yes. Is it Moral? Yes. Is it legal? Well you could do it... just don't expect to actually use this is court.

The only thing you can really do is catch them stealing, show it to your manager/boss and let him deal with it. You don't have fire someone, to make them leave. I doubt the cleaning people have a proper contract, and as such it would be horrible if those in a position of power were to redefine their position to lick figurative dick. If the cleaning people are contractors, fire them. Chances are you could hire someone for less now anyways.

gmoney82
04-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
Is it ethical? Yes. Is it Moral? Yes. Is it legal? Well you could do it... just don't expect to actually use this is court.

The only thing you can really do is catch them stealing, show it to your manager/boss and let him deal with it. You don't have fire someone, to make them leave. I doubt the cleaning people have a proper contract, and as such it would be horrible if those in a position of power were to redefine their position to lick figurative dick. If the cleaning people are contractors, fire them. Chances are you could hire someone for less now anyways.

I work for the government, and we rent the entire building. The cleaning staff works for the landlords, and I doubt they are involved as way before this all happened, I've left stuff on my desk before without incident. Most recently when all this stuff happened there are a ton of contractors around the building doing a crapload of odd jobs...so who knows? :dunno:

I really dont' know what i'd do if i had a photo of the perp. HR who handles these incidences are doing shit all about the original thefts. I think i'm just getting excited about a very viable way to figure out who is doing it.

eblend
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
if you don't mind me asking, where do you work? i work for govt too and would like to know if my crap is at danger

gmoney82
04-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by eblend
if you don't mind me asking, where do you work? i work for govt too and would like to know if my crap is at danger

I work at the Holy Cross hospital

dexlargo
04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't think that it's a problem at all. I've seen videos entered in court where an employee (an in-home support person) went through the drawers of the employer and took money. No issues with entering the evidence. Just don't film in a bathroom or changeroom or whatever.

The video would have to conclusively show who the person was and that they took something identifiable in the video and left with it (it would be good if the video caught them putting the money in their pocket or whatever).

btw - entrapment is when a police officer (or similar type person) induces someone to do something they wouldn't otherwise do and then charge them for it.

Grogador
04-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by anschutz_92

Why not? CCTV is used in court cases all the time. It can at least be used by police to start an investigation. AFAIK (but IANAL) you can record video (in places with no "reasonable expectation of privacy" like bathrooms, change rooms, someone else's home) however it is ILLEGAL to record audio.

G'luck.

Kloubek
04-29-2009, 09:39 AM
My understanding regarding recordings is that one of the parties in the recording must be aware they are being recorded.

Now, tv programs show people walking on the street, etc without giving their permission to be recorded. Therefore, one can assume that simply filming someone is not a punishable offense.

However, if you're breaking the rules on recording, then you can also assume that it may not be admissable in court. With that said, the chances of getting back the stuff that is already stolen is highly unlikely anyway, and the intention is just to get the thief out of there. There is nothing at all saying you guys cannot use the recordings for your own personal viewing, and keep it quiet from everyone else...

3g4u
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
This was happening at my office so I put a sign up on my desk saying "smile you are on camera" and it never happened again.:dunno:

Wildcat
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Grogador

Why not? CCTV is used in court cases all the time. It can at least be used by police to start an investigation. AFAIK (but IANAL) you can record video (in places with no "reasonable expectation of privacy" like bathrooms, change rooms, someone else's home) however it is ILLEGAL to record audio.

G'luck.

This.

Originally posted by Kloubek
My understanding regarding recordings is that one of the parties in the recording must be aware they are being recorded.

This applies to phone conversation recording in Canada.

gmoney82
04-29-2009, 03:34 PM
thanks for all your replies...

I share an office with my manager so she requested the locks to be changed on our door. I'm still gonna try to install the camera regardless. No harm done. It will probably snap a few picture nightly of the cleaning lady.

i'll update when i get the cam installed and hopefully a picture of the setup

chkolny541
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u
This was happening at my office so I put a sign up on my desk saying "smile you are on camera" and it never happened again.:dunno:

hahah, i like this idea,

HiTempguy1
04-29-2009, 04:41 PM
thanks for all your replies...

I share an office with my manager so she requested the locks to be changed on our door. I'm still gonna try to install the camera regardless. No harm done. It will probably snap a few picture nightly of the cleaning lady.

i'll update when i get the cam installed and hopefully a picture of the setup

As somebody mentioned, post a sign somewhere, then record away.

Or, just use the camera, then beat the shit out of whoever was stealing your stuff.

eblend
04-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I work for the govn't as well and just got this in the email

"Building security asked me to let you know that they have received several complaints that valuables have gone missing from people’s desks possibly as a result of a theft. Building security is investigating these events. As a precaution I recommend that you either carry your valuables with you or make sure that they are locked in your desk when you leave the office.
Thanks"

gmoney82
04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by eblend
I work for the govn't as well and just got this in the email

"Building security asked me to let you know that they have received several complaints that valuables have gone missing from people’s desks possibly as a result of a theft. Building security is investigating these events. As a precaution I recommend that you either carry your valuables with you or make sure that they are locked in your desk when you leave the office.
Thanks"

Where's your office building?

eblend
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
5th ave 6th street sw

Spoons
05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Shunsui

Laptops nowadays have integrated webcams...

But don't know about privacy but if someone is going through my desk, and there's no one doing really anything about it, I'd try to handle it myself.

Laptops nowadays are also ridiculously easy to steal. Sounds like if he used a laptop he would just end up with that stolen too.