PDA

View Full Version : Truck Roll Over Statistics

broken_legs
04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Fellas,

Just wondering if any of you may know where to find data regarding the stability and safety of short-box pickup trucks vs long box trucks.

Government crash data? Statistics?

What do you guys think?

ie Assuming all thins equal: empty box, no canopy or sandbags

Which is more stable?
Which is easier to control when traction is lost?
Which is more likely to roll over in an accident?
Which is more likely to be involved in a fatal accident?

I have my own ideas, but wanted to see if there was some factual evidence somewhere.

Opinions welcome

Thanks!

Supa Dexta
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Trying to fight some rule that says you must get a long box? heh... I run LB and enjoy having it, but some of our guys get away with shorties.

broken_legs
04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Trying to fight some rule that says you must get a long box? heh... I run LB and enjoy having it, but some of our guys get away with shorties.

Busted on the first post! LOL

Yeah I'm giving up my short box tomorrow, but I actually am curious. It's one thing to think I'm right, but another to actually know it.

I see the logic in a longer wheel base being more stable and less likely to roll over.

BUT

I also see long box trucks having traction issues due to the lack of weight in the rear. This seems a bit silly to me as now you're more likely to lose traction and get in an accident even if you're less likely to roll over once you get in the accident.

Just looking for the right answer!

luxor
04-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Which is more stable?
Which is easier to control when traction is lost?
Which is more likely to roll over in an accident?
Which is more likely to be involved in a fatal accident?

same
short
same
wtf?

First, you need to realize that the wheelbase is not what's causing trucks to roll. Long or short, there's not a significant difference. Care to explain your "logic" behind that?

Traction should be better for the long box since it would be heavier, but control is a different story.

Rat Fink
04-29-2009, 10:57 PM

cloud7
04-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
At least you might get a long box with a sweet lift kit. :thumbsup:

Assuming the OP is concerned about stability and rollover, I don't think a lift kit would be what he is looking for.:burnout:

Rat Fink
04-30-2009, 11:12 PM