PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift 101

Darkane
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
To get the deadlift talk out of the thread on squatting, here is another great article on deadlifting.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/deadlift101.pdf

Originally posted by max_boost
That's a wide stance! :eek:

I love doing squats. It's my favorite workout by far. Deads are tough on my lower back but it's expected since you are working it right? But man, squats are the best. I have a lot my strength in my lower body. Squatting 3X/week is no problems for me. :D

Deads shouldn't really hurt your low back. At least not till after a day or two. If it hurts 'while' you're pulling the weight, your form might be off.

Try getting your ass lower to activate more hip. And pull the bar straight, almost towards you. You don't want to go up and around the knees. Scrape your shins on the way up if you have too.

Little Dragon
04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Scrape your shins on the way up if you have too.

Hate that part about deads.
Anyway around this?
Gets annoying when it starts to hurt and rip other wounds open. No one likes a bloody barbell!!

mac_82
04-28-2009, 05:33 PM
knee high socks!

Oz-
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I have used soccer shin guards from time to time.

max_boost
04-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Deads shouldn't really hurt your low back. At least not till after a day or two. If it hurts 'while' you're pulling the weight, your form might be off.

Try getting your ass lower to activate more hip. And pull the bar straight, almost towards you. You don't want to go up and around the knees. Scrape your shins on the way up if you have too.

Hmmm....

It doesn't hurt when I'm pulling it up. More so on the motion going back down I feel like my back is being tested. It's not the hurting type of pain but more so minor discomfort as if that area is being tested. I hope that makes sense. I'll meet up with master 'lint' to make sure my form is good. After a day it is sore though.

Darkane
04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon

Hate that part about deads.
Anyway around this?
Gets annoying when it starts to hurt and rip other wounds open. No one likes a bloody barbell!!

Yeah. Not sure but I used to dead with my stance a bit wider.

Now recently I dead narrow enough where my legs are in line with the smooth part of the bar. Close stance just feels better on my back and I get right down and drive with my hips, hams, ass and it doesn't load my back to much.

I got a herniated disc so I gotta be ultra careful. First time in over 2 years I pulled 3 plates a side a week ago. Form was 100% - No pain :)

pinoyhero
04-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Kane's 100% right on his tips ... as always. I'd add that the bar should remain in contact with your legs the whole way including past the knee and on to the thigh both up and down. Practice with a broom stick or empty bar if you need too.

I also recommend working with full size rubber plates to ensure consistent depth if you can't pull a plate a side.

Oz-
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
If you are pulling conventional, you can determine your stance two ways.

1) hang from a bar and drop. The way your feet natually land should be pretty close to your stance.

2) prepare to do a vertical jump off two feet. That is pretty close to your stance.

If you guys can pull enough weight to flex the bar, you have to break the weight with the bar actually flexed. Otherwise you are leaving 50 lbs of flex on the ground. It is tough to explain until you get some real bend in the bar, think of it as a see-saw when you are deadlifting.

If you are deadlifting and its a sharp pain, stop lifting. If its a minor discomfort...I dunno what to tell you, but it might be more in your head. I lift with an Inzer belt when I get to my worksets...but I warmup sushi.

Oz-
04-28-2009, 09:58 PM
To get the deadlift talk out of the thread on squatting, here is another great article on deadlifting.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/deadlift101.pdf

Darkane
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry, my bad lol.

buh_buh
04-28-2009, 11:33 PM
that split/merge didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but its pretty much all I can do

no_joke
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
I would recommend watching Coach Rippetoe's videos for tips on form and method. They're short vids if you don't feeling like reading the tutorial. Check out the vids under the "Power Lifts" section in the following link:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

And I noticed that in the Diesel Crew guide to deadlift and squat, there are parts where he advises to "hold your breath." I don't know if this is a powerlifting technique, but I for one never hold my breath for anything.

lint
04-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by no_joke
I would recommend watching Coach Rippetoe's videos for tips on form and method. They're short vids if you don't feeling like reading the tutorial. Check out the vids under the "Power Lifts" section in the following link:

And I noticed that in the Diesel Crew guide to deadlift and squat, there are parts where he advises to "hold your breath." I don't know if this is a powerlifting technique, but I for one never hold my breath for anything.

You refer to Rippetoe and don't know of the Valsalva maneuver?

Oz-
04-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Holding your breath is for staying tight through the lift. Not a powerlifting technique that I know of...we had a strength and conditioning coach back in high school (I think he was just a bodybuilder from Samsons) that taught me about holding my breath.

hattonlynch
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by lint

You refer to Rippetoe and don't know of the Valsalva maneuver?
valsalva technique isn't exactly promoted by him, lol
valsalva is mainly for football or basketball players.

lint
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by hattonlynch

valsalva technique isn't exactly promoted by him, lol
valsalva is mainly for football or basketball players.

Gee, it sure sounds like he promotes it

from Starting Strength 2nd Ed, page 52

Furthermore, no one gets under 405 lbs. and squats it without having trained enough to be able to do so. The cardiovascular system adapts to resistance training just like all of the other tissues and systems in the body, and this adaptation occurs as strength increases. Anyone who is capable of squatting extremely heavy weights is adapted for it in all the necessary ways. And no lifter has ever pulled 800 lbs. off the floor while exhaling. For the athlete using more than 5 lb. chrome dumbbells, it is far, far more likely that following the advice to "inhale on the way down and exhale on the way u p " will actually cause an orthopedic injury than prevent a stroke.

In fact, it is a good practice to take and hold the biggest breath you can before each rep of your heaviest sets. Get in the habit of breathing correctly during your lighter sets, so that when the weight gets heavy the pattern will be established. The Valsalva maneuver will prevent far more problems that it has the potential to cause. It is a necessary and important technique for safety in the weight room.

no_joke
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Found on the net
Here is an example of proper breathing during a bench press. During the down phase of the bench press the individual should inhale. As the individual pushes the weight back up to the starting position, the individual should exhale. The individual should not hold his or her breath during the up phase. This is where the Valsalva maneuver would occur. All in all, the next time you go to the weight room remember not to take breathing for granted. Focus on proper breathing. Remember holding your breath during a strenuous exercise is not only an improper lifting technique, but most of all it can be dangerous to your health.

I am not in the class of weightlifters as described by Rippetoe in the above quote but here's another perspective on the Valsalva maneuver. I'm not for or against it but I don't think I would need to or want to use it.

Link: http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/education/topics/valsalva.php

lint
04-29-2009, 02:19 PM

I am not in the class of weightlifters as described by Rippetoe in the above quote but here's another perspective on the Valsalva maneuver. I'm not for or against it but I don't think I would need to or want to use it.

Link: http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/education/topics/valsalva.php

Proper breathing as defined by whom? As Oz already mentioned, holding your breath/Valsalva as a means to create/maintain tightness has been promoted and practiced by many a strength coach.

If as you say, you've never held your breath for anything, so be it.

civic_rida
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Whats the proper way of bring the weight back down.
I scrape my shins goin up but should i be scrapin them going back down?

civic_rida
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh and what kind of hand grip do you usually do?

lint
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Reverse what you did on the way up. Personally, I don't scrape my shins. On the up, my knees shift back and get out of the way of the bar. For grip, I use double overhand and a hook grip when I can. I've been able to pull 275 this way, but switch to alternating for anything heavier. Hook grip hurts like a bitch though and takes getting used to.

Oz-
04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I normally drop the weight from just about knee level. Most of the trainers don't give me shit, mainly because I ask them every week for a platform or bumper plates. Likely not a good idea to drop the weight at a commercial gym without a platform, unless you want to get banned.

For grip - I personally use double overhand for reps and when going for triples or heavy singles I use mixed grip.

sexualbanana
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Hmmm....

It doesn't hurt when I'm pulling it up. More so on the motion going back down I feel like my back is being tested. It's not the hurting type of pain but more so minor discomfort as if that area is being tested. I hope that makes sense. I'll meet up with master 'lint' to make sure my form is good. After a day it is sore though.

Yeah, dude. Doesn't sound like you're doing it right. From what I've learn, your back should maintain it's natural curve, and the bottom of the rep should either be at the point where the bar is below the knee, you start to feel a stretch in your glutes and hamstrings, and just before your shoulders start to round out from the weight. To lift up, it doesn't occur from the back, rather you squeeze your glutes which will lift your upper back into an upright position.

pinoyhero
05-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Think of pushing the earth with your heels to start, worked for my form. Get your form right first, then start getting heavier with the weight