PDA

View Full Version : Azenis in Calgary

QuasarCav
04-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Hello,

We have a 91 Miata for a second DD / fun car and I would like to get some performance summer rubber for the car. Since we are sticking with the stock 14 inch diameter there are not too many options for UHP tires.

I basically have to choose between a performance all season or just go all out and pickup a set of RT-615s. Does anyone have some real life experience using these tires on the street? I've heard they have issues with standing water but are they as bad as some people make them out to be?

Any opinions will help.

Aleks
04-29-2009, 09:30 AM
I have the RT-615s for my GTI mounted on stock 18" wheels. First summer they held up pretty well. I also read that rain/water could be a problem so I was super careful at first but quickly found out that they handled the water just fine with normal driving.

During last summer I also had the Type R and put a set of Dunlop Star Specs on it and in my opinion those tires were better when it came to all out grip when cornering hard. However that could have been because the Type R handles a lot better than the GTI to begin with :nut:

Redlyne_mr2
04-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Ive used rt615s for 3 consecutive summers, best tire for the money IMO. They only last me the summer though. I've drive on the dunlops and I found the falkens to be a better tire but youre right Aleks it could have been the car as well. The rt615s have been on back order for the last few months. STRD, Urban x should be getting their order this week.. fingers crossed.

Aleks
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Ive used rt615s for 3 consecutive summers, best tire for the money IMO. They only last me the summer though. I've drive on the dunlops and I found the falkens to be a better tire but youre right Aleks it could have been the car as well. The rt615s have been on back order for the last few months. STRD, Urban x should be getting their order this week.. fingers crossed.

It wasn't a very fair comparasson. The Type R had stock suspension and the GTI was lowered 2". I actually think now that the GTI is back to stock height it will handle a lot better :rofl:

Either way rt615s were pretty cheap and will be going on the car this weekend again so I am looking forward to that.

Chandler_Racing
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I have run a set of RT-615's for the last two years.

Great tires and I have had no issues with standing water.

QuasarCav
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the info so far.

How does the tire feel when it's about to break away? Does it transfer road feel well?

Do you find that they take time to warm up?

white
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
i have rt-615's after a few track nights they were loosing tread pretty quick. I must say there tire tread rating is brutal, but worth the dry traction.

EK 2.0
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Ive used rt615s for 3 consecutive summers, best tire for the money IMO. They only last me the summer though.

Same, but I can usually get 2 summers from them...and have been using them for the last 4 years....well summers...

Originally posted by white

i have rt-615's after a few track nights they were loosing tread pretty quick. I must say there tire tread rating is brutal, but worth the dry traction.

Agreed...

And they are DECENT in a normal rain fall...but anything hardcore or standing water and I hated them haha...

kevie88
04-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I've bugged tireBob about these a few times but he was saying he couldn't get a decent deal on them so they wouldn't be a very good price.. I need something to replace the KumWhores I chunked at the last track day we did last year.

I was actually thinking of some Hoosier slicks or something similar haha

Anyone know of any other Azenis hookup?

sullygully
04-29-2009, 11:26 AM
i have the st-115's and they are aweful on standing water. I've been pulled almost entirely into the other lane on the highway when hitting and bit of water.

QuasarCav
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
I've bugged tireBob about these a few times but he was saying he couldn't get a decent deal on them so they wouldn't be a very good price.. I need something to replace the KumWhores I chunked at the last track day we did last year.

I was actually thinking of some Hoosier slicks or something similar haha

Anyone know of any other Azenis hookup?

If I do purchase them it will be online, are you interested in ordering together? I am not sure if we would save much.

Originally posted by sullygully
i have the st-115's and they are aweful on standing water. I've been pulled almost entirely into the other lane on the highway when hitting and bit of water.

You must mean the ST-215s. This is what they improved when they designed the 615s but with such a light car I am a little worried. I have had to deal with the tail coming out during the winter and it's pretty predictable and controllable but i am not the only one driving the car....

white
04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
ill be interested in ordering together i can even send you a paypal pament today if we can do it? i only need 2 - 205/50/15

kevie88
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I'll be out for a few weeks at least, I have to get some loot together.

88CRX
04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm on my second set (sold the last ones with the old wheels) and I love them. Treadwear is so-so but not too bad. I haven't noticed anything bad about their wet traction either, but I don't bomb around corners when it's pouring rain out..... common sence.

I've ordered 2 sets through vulcan tires out of the states.... google them, they're dirt cheap and ship extremely fast.