PDA

View Full Version : Quad City to fold and move to Abbotsford

rumeo
04-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Wasn't too sure if this was suppose to be in the Flames thread or not... but here you go!

http://www.vancouversun.com/cars/Calgary+Flames+farm+team+move+from+Quad+Cities+Abbotsford/1381990/story.html

The Calgary Flames farm team in Quad Cities, Illinois is set to flicker into oblivion at the end of the season.

After months of speculation, the Flames released the Quad City ownership group Thursday from the remaining three years of their minor-league affiliate agreement with the NHL club.

On Thursday, Flames president Ken King confirmed his intention of signing a new 10-year affiliation agreement with a group of investors in Abbotsford, B.C.

“We intend to refile for relocation to Abbotsford,” King said the news broke in Quad Cities. “We’ve got a lot of critical, key prospects in our system, and we need a great home for them to prepare for the NHL.

“We’ve had substantial discussions with Abbotsford We’re in a situation where we’re completely comfortable with the terms of an arrangement “ The move to Abbotsford requires approval of the American Hockey League board of governors, and there could be resistance from teams opposed to the travel.

Abbotsford is a farming community of 130,000 about 75 kilometres east of Vancouver on the Trans-Canada Highway. The nearest AHL city is Winnipeg, a 24-hour bus ride away in good weather.

“I don’t know if I would term it resistance, but I think they’re going to need to be convinced because of the geography,” King said. “They’re going to need to be convinced things like travel subsidies are nailed down.”

The potential Abbotsford ownership group has agreed to pay travel subsidies to help alleviate the cost of cross-country flights for the opposition.

The Abbotsford group envisions itself as the first AHL team to set up shop on the West Coast to serve teams in the Pacific time zone.

“It’s a bold move,” King said. “And I think it’s a smart move. It’s a Canadian market. They know hockey. They understand hockey. They appreciate hockey. And they’ve been years in the making.

“They’ve been courting us and other teams for a long time.”

With no potential tenant nailed down, Abbotsford built a spiffy $65 million, 7,018-seat building set for completion at the end of March.

Down in Quad Cities, with an average attendance of 2,810, the Flames rank 28th in the 29-team AHL. The local ownership estimates losses this season at US $1.3 million.

“We like Quad Cities, and we thought we were building something,” King said. “But we also appreciate, in the face of a worsening economy and two very difficult years, and respect the effort they put in. They’re wonderful people. They tried very hard, and I think it’s going to be necessary for us to look at other options.”

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

buh_buh
04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
what is that 4 cities in 6 years now or something? St. John, Omaha, Quad Cities and now Abbotsford. They should probably find a city that can actually support them rather than just move around every year. That travel schedule can't be good either.

A|pine
05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Should situate them in Saskatchewan.

Spoons
05-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Well there is probably better golf in Abbotsford. Gives them practice before they are called up ;).