PDA

View Full Version : Wakeskate Winching in AB

mr2mike
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone has done any winching around the Calgary area?

I was thinking about building a winch system but I can't really think of any decent place where you could winch without people getting mad.

The best idea I think is around sandy beach except that it's quite shallow and the rocks would kill you when you fell.

Looking for something with a soft bottom or else a little deeper water.

R-Audi
04-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I did it with friends on lake Bonaventure.. received a 'Cease and Dessist' letter a few days after.... but then again we were pulling across the entire lake...

mr2mike
04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
.... but then again we were pulling across the entire lake...

Haha, how long of a rope did you need? How did you get it setup, being all the way across the lake?

Afrodeziak
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
I did a day down near Princess Island park in the finger that comes from the bow and in. A short pull. Lots of people watching, nobody really gave a shit.

Another day up in a pond behind COP (cougar ridge)
pretty muddy, but a long pull. shallow

mr2mike
04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Ya, I might have to take a drive and start scouting locations. I guess if it's shallow, as long as the bottom isn't rocky, it should be ok and the water might be warmer than in the Bow.

jmil
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I have a winch and have a dozen or so spots in the NW.
Most people are pretty cool about it.

Afrodeziak, was it you or your friend that has a winch?
Regardless, we should meet up for a session.

jmil
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Google earth is your friend for finding spots

mr2mike
05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
jmil,

I wouldn't mind trying it out next time you go out. Just to see the difference between winch and boat.

I'd bring my own skate.

jmil
05-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Any time.
I just need a welder to finnish winch #2

R-Audi
05-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I think the rope we had was several hundred feet.. bought spectra wholesale! We got started by just waving when we were ready, and the guy running the winch would start it up. Not exactly sure what happened with the winch now, as it was all a home made job. Pretty decent actually.. just took a while to figure out the clutch and gearing..

jmil
05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
My rope is 600 ft

mr2mike
05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Guys I really want to get out and try this. I've gone behind boats but I want to try winching.

I've been reading up on building a winch and if I like it, I'd probably go with a 13HP motor since it's not too much more. I'd probably still run the TAV2 clutch because they're saying that it doesn't depend on HP but more how much weight there is for someone getting pulled out of the water.

Let me know if you're heading out. Maybe Sunday or something if it get's really hot out.