PDA

View Full Version : Specific Ticket Question

Stealth13
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Okay, so about 3 months ago I got a unsafe right hand turn ticket for like 115 and 2 demerits. I went to the crown at court and the guy said if I reduce it I am admitting fault to it. So then I went to the girl at the window and got this court date set up. Really I would rather just admit the fault and get a reduced sentence for it... The court day is may 1st, can I just go over there tomorrow and talk to the guy again and ask for a reduced ticket and plead guilty to it? Also got a job interview that overlaps the court time so I would way rather just be able to deal with it tomorrow if possible? :confused:

G-ZUS
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Just go in and plead guilty to a lesser charge

dexlargo
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
With it being the day before your trial, you might not be able to see the FAC people tomorrow - give it a try, though, I could be wrong. Better to just show up to Court on Friday and deal with it quickly.

Get to court 15 minutes before it's scheduled to start. When the prosecutor arrives, line up to check in with him.

If you actually got a lower penalty offered to you earlier there will be a note on the file for the prosecutor of what the offer was, and he'll more than likely still let you take that offer.

If you didn't get an offer, ask if there's any way that you can pay less of a fine and that you're willing to plead guilty if they can reduce it. I'm guessing that he'll offer to change it to $72.00 (under s.57 - failure to obey a traffic control device). Don't suggest that to the prosecutor - you'll look like a smartass and he might change his mind, I'm just making my prediction.

If the prosecutor is busy he might not have time to talk to you. He'll send the police officer (if the police officer comes - don't get your hopes up too high, they usually do come) to talk to you about the ticket and see what you want to do - just do the same thing with him: say you're willing to plead guilty if they can reduce the fine. Same result should occur.

Don't bother asking if you can have the demerits reduced - you can't, they're already at the minimum of 2.

If you follow this procedure, you should be out of there within a half hour of the time court starts.

If you can't go on Friday and they won't let you talk to the FAC people tomorrow, ask at the JP counter tomorrow for an adjournment - they might send you up to traffic docket court to convince a judge to let you have a last minute adjournment. There will be a prosecutor there, let him know that you are willing to plead guilty if fine is reduced (as above) and he may be able to deal with it for you right there.

Good Luck!

Stealth13
04-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the advice dexlargo :thumbsup: