PDA

View Full Version : Comparison Test: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe

911fever
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/MediaNav/firstNav=Gallery/videoId=20266279/articleId=142826

wow.

dino_martini
04-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I took a peak at both at the Auto Show. I think the new Genesis coupe looks better, is better built. Hyundai is really on a roll. When everyone is coming out with boring shit, Hyundai is coming out with something worth driving.

Eleanor
04-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Last line in the vid sums it up quite nicely.

It's not as good as the G37, but it's more than 2/3rds good.

yes.supra
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
*sigh* hyundai is like a fat chick who lost a ton of weight but.....

barmanjay
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Last line in the vid sums it up quite nicely.

It's not as good as the G37, but it's more than 2/3rds good.

actually it says somewhat:

it isn't as good as the G, but as roughly 2/3's the cost, it doesn't have to be

I am impressed with the numbers compared to the G

less than .5 sec difference in the 1/4 mile and only 1mph off in the slalom

Very impressive at 2/3's the cost.

pinoyhero
04-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Wow, nice ...

YamahaV8
04-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Was anyone really surprised by the results?
On a side note, the Genesis is Hyundai's first rwd sport coupe when the G has been around for almost 10 years. Give Hyundai some time to fine tune the car and we may see an even smaller gap between the two. Still really good for the price :thumbsup:

911fever
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay

actually it says somewhat:

it isn't as good as the G, but as roughly 2/3's the cost, it doesn't have to be

I am impressed with the numbers compared to the G

less than .5 sec difference in the 1/4 mile and only 1mph off in the slalom

Very impressive at 2/3's the cost.

14.5 for the Genesis
and
13.9 for the G37

and 5.6 for the G37 0-60
vs
6.6 for the Genesis

barmanjay
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by 911fever

14.5 for the Genesis
and
13.9 for the G37

and 5.6 for the G37 0-60
vs
6.6 for the Genesis

For 2/3's the price,.. I'm not complaining

berbatov
04-30-2009, 12:33 AM
The coupe is good, the sedan is better

You look at the 3.8 H sedan Tech package and is more luxurious than the G37 sedan and you save some good thousands

Redlyne_mr2
04-30-2009, 12:39 AM
So it's a cheaper car thats not as good ... is there something that Im missing because thats pretty obvious. I'm not sure why they keep comparing the Genesis to cars outside of it's category, it would make sense if it ended up being better than the G but it's not. :dunno: :)

berbatov
04-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Hyundai sponsors some of these studies from reputable review companies ... thus opening the market for H and their Genesis line-up

rockanrepublic
04-30-2009, 04:38 AM
It's a Hyundai
:closed:
"you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig"
-Obama

SCHIDER23
04-30-2009, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
It's a Hyundai
:closed:
"you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig"
-Obama

:werd:

BTW the comment is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

berbatov
04-30-2009, 05:34 AM
you can buy the lipstick and the pig instead of just the pig

Genesis = smart buy

urban.one
04-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Similar to when the Japanese started to compete with the Germans now the Koreans are coming up on the Japanse.

The Genesis shows how far Hyundai has come from the days of the Pony and Stellar.

Mitsu3000gt
04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Anyone ripping on Hyundai probably hasn't been in one or driven one lately - the quality is up there with most of the Japanese cars, and certainly ahead of most American offerings. The gap has closed considerably.

D. Dub
04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
What a funny world when even the people liking/buying Nissan's become car snobs.

:D

Xtrema
04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
So it's a cheaper car thats not as good ... is there something that Im missing because thats pretty obvious. I'm not sure why they keep comparing the Genesis to cars outside of it's category, it would make sense if it ended up being better than the G but it's not. :dunno: :)

Inevitable comparison.

Just like the G37 vs 335i comparos. BMW is better an thousands more.

hampstor
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Inevitable comparison.

Just like the G37 vs 335i comparos. BMW is better an thousands more.

The G37 vs 335i compete in the same market space. They will definately be cross shopped (even though the 335i for the most part is a better vehicle).

The g37 vs genesis coupe comparisons serve to highlight how far Hyundai has come. No one looking to buy an Infiniti will cross shop the g37 against a genesis. I fully expect people who are looking at Mustang and Camaro V6's to look at the Genesis Coupe though!

Xtrema
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

The G37 vs 335i compete in the same market space. They will definately be cross shopped (even though the 335i for the most part is a better vehicle).

The g37 vs genesis coupe comparisons serve to highlight how far Hyundai has come. No one looking to buy an Infiniti will cross shop the g37 against a genesis. I fully expect people who are looking at Mustang and Camaro V6's to look at the Genesis Coupe though!

Same can be said about Genesis Sedan but it doesn't stop them comparing it to 5 series or TL.

Those are the vehicles Genesis is going after.

Tomaz
04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
What about Genesis Coupe Vs. Altima Coupe Vs. Accord Coupe? I think that would be fair to look into.

Xtrema
04-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
What about Genesis Coupe Vs. Altima Coupe Vs. Accord Coupe? I think that would be fair to look into.

RWD VS FWD?

Redlyne_mr2
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

RWD VS FWD?

Vehicle comparisons should be done based on price category. The customer is able to afford X amount of dollars and will look at cars within his or her budget. These $35K vs $45K comparisons make no sense.

We've already seen the Genesis go agaisnt the Camaro V6 and if I'm not mistaken the Camaro came out on top. Put the Genesis against other 25-35K dollar sports cars regardless of their layout. If the Genesis fairs better than the GTI because it's rwd then thats great.

NickGT
04-30-2009, 07:28 PM
This comparison was stupid and a total waste of time. Other than showing 2 fine examples of great styling.

The best comparo I've seen to to date was Genesis 3.8 vs. 370Z vs. Mustang GT. Maybe I'm biased because I love seeing a Mustang fair well in more than just 1/4 mile times. But all 3 have similar base price, RWD, 2 Door, similar horsepower, similar curb weight, average but nothing special interiors, all look fast (subjective I guess).

Motortrend
http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/genesiscomp.jpg

luxor
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Hyundai > Ford

el_cap
05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Edmunds also retested the Genesis Coupe with some issues fixed and got times more in line with other publications:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009/03/2010-hyundai-genesis-coupe-v6-track-retest.html?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

Still slightly off the G37's pace but not bad at all! Only 0.2 seconds.

Aleks
05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by luxor
Hyundai > Ford

If > means slower and uglier than yes quite...

TYMSMNY
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by luxor
Hyundai > Ford

Nissan > Ford > Hyundai if we're talking about numbers.

Nissan V6 outperforms Ford's V8. Ford needs to boost their efficiency.

clem24
05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Vehicle comparisons should be done based on price category. The customer is able to afford X amount of dollars and will look at cars within his or her budget. These $35K vs $45K comparisons make no sense.

I don't agree with the argument at all. The Genesis is so close to the Infiniti in specs that it even looks like the Infiniti.. Except on one point, the Genesis actually looks better. These cars are perfect competitors - one is priced significantly lower.

If your point were true, all Hyundai has to do is add a bit more options (basically only NAV and dual zone climate) and bump up the MSRP to G37 levels and then they'd be direct competitors?

I would totally consider a Genesis Coupe. But if I were to comparison shop, what car would I test... A G37! And if you wanted to only compare price range, then fine, compare a brand new Genesis Coupe, full warranty, to a used G35/G37. There you go. Now prices are even.

B4tMan
06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by yes.supra
*sigh* hyundai is like a fat chick who lost a ton of weight but.....

lol, are you trying to promote said product to the african american community ? :)

Jokes aside, due to the Genesis line, sales at Hyundai dealerships in North America have been decent and raised the profitability for the company. Good for them, I love their sedan and am looking forward to seeing other competitive products to our shores.

Doozer
06-14-2009, 09:38 PM

We've already seen the Genesis go agaisnt the Camaro V6 and if I'm not mistaken the Camaro came out on top. Put the Genesis against other 25-35K dollar sports cars regardless of their layout. If the Genesis fairs better than the GTI because it's rwd then thats great. Like Clem above, I disagree with this too. You say that comparing cars with a 10K difference in price (35 to 45) makes no sense, yet say that the Genesis should be compared to other cars with the same price gap of 10K (25-35K).

I think that when most people are buying cars, there are a numbe of factors all with equal importance to that particular buyer. The point being that every buyer wants to think they got good value for the dollar. To some that means more power, more trunk room, more efficiency, etc. I think you need to compare what the car offers, with price being only one consideration.

For example, I test drove the Acura TL before I bought my Alty. Is the TL a better car? Definitely. Is it worth the extra money? :dunno: It wasn't for me....

I think the Genesis fits that description perfectly, and is definitely going to be eating away sales from "more expensive" cars, because it does nearly what they do at a significantly better price.

B4tMan
06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
You have to understand, he caters specifically to the luxury segment.

Comparisons such as these negatively impact / diminish the apparent value of the higher end product.

Red will still be ok in his current role in the finance department?, as not many owners of his current Lexus product will look at said comparisons and drop his service for the lesser, cheaper product; even if, in comparison, Genesis is "more than 2/3rds good". :)

xxviet
06-15-2009, 12:22 AM
with that last 1/3 price u can use it to mod it and its like a g37 LOL

clem24
06-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by xxviet
with that last 1/3 price u can use it to mod it and its like a g37 LOL

Umm... Not really. Much of the differences are intangible - refinement, quality of components, attention and detail. With $10g's, yes the Genesis Coupe will be made quicker, but the point is, it just won't exude class like the G37. But much like how the G37 won't exude the same amount of class and prestige as it's BMW competitor....

Also, the market for the upgraded V6 models won't be young punks. That's what the base model is for.

bigbadboss101
06-15-2009, 07:20 AM
I saw a white one on Deerfoot the other day. Looks quite nice.

Redlyne_mr2
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Doozer
Like Clem above, I disagree with this too. You say that comparing cars with a 10K difference in price (35 to 45) makes no sense, yet say that the Genesis should be compared to other cars with the same price gap of 10K (25-35K).

I think that when most people are buying cars, there are a numbe of factors all with equal importance to that particular buyer. The point being that every buyer wants to think they got good value for the dollar. To some that means more power, more trunk room, more efficiency, etc. I think you need to compare what the car offers, with price being only one consideration.

For example, I test drove the Acura TL before I bought my Alty. Is the TL a better car? Definitely. Is it worth the extra money? :dunno: It wasn't for me....

I think the Genesis fits that description perfectly, and is definitely going to be eating away sales from "more expensive" cars, because it does nearly what they do at a significantly better price.
I totally get where you and Clem are coming from, it make sense however vehicle comparisons have almost always been done with same in class vehicles. The G and the Genesis are in totally different vehicle classes even though they have so many similarities. It's sort of like comparing a Lexus RX to a Toyota Venza, many similarities but still enough differences to separate them into 2 different classes. I think what these comparisons show is that Hyundai has built a hell of a car for 35K but still isn't quite as good as the Infiniti.

clem24
06-15-2009, 01:58 PM

I totally get where you and Clem are coming from, it make sense however vehicle comparisons have almost always been done with same in class vehicles. The G and the Genesis are in totally different vehicle classes even though they have so many similarities. It's sort of like comparing a Lexus RX to a Toyota Venza, many similarities but still enough differences to separate them into 2 different classes. I think what these comparisons show is that Hyundai has built a hell of a car for 35K but still isn't quite as good as the Infiniti.

I think what you're thinking of is the same thing I was trying to point out: you're thinking intangibles. Hyundai is not in the same "league" (or brand or however you want to define it) as Infiniti, just like how Infiniti is not is the same league as BMW. Sort of like how someone shopping around for a Lexus is buying a Lexus for it's prestige and nameplate, not necessarily for the car itself. They would never in their wildest dreams go to Hyundai and try the Genesis Sedan. But at the same time, there are buyers that want a luxury car, and see value instead of having to define themselves with a particular brand.

But class of car? I would say they are totally comparable - 3.7/3.8 V6 FR coupe. Doesn't get anymore comparable than that.

B4tMan
06-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by clem24
just like how Infiniti is not is the same league as BMW.
Is that the overpriced spartan interior reminiscent of the 90s ?

Aleks
06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

Is that the overpriced spartan interior reminiscent of the 90s ?

Yes but it's also the driving dynamics that Nissan can't quite match yet.

Fuji
06-15-2009, 02:49 PM

But the if you look at it that way, the same can be said about the ISF and the M3 or the GTR vs the M3 or ISF for that matter... the same compelling reasons (price vs what you get whether it be performance, looks, luxury, etc) for the aforementioned can be said about those 2 cars (granted Lexus and BMW both have the luxury brand attached to them)

At the end of the day a car is a car no matter what brand and you get what you pay for in most cases. I think the deal here is that Hyundai is changing that mindset with the intro of the Genesis. The only problem they really have is the issue of historically bad brand reputation, which I think they've realistically proven to be much better than.

TYMSMNY
06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Yes but it's also the driving dynamics that Nissan can't quite match yet.

I don't think you can throw "driving dynamics" into the list of comparables. Class = interior volume

Orbie
06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by clem24

But class of car? I would say they are totally comparable - 3.7/3.8 V6 FR coupe. Doesn't get anymore comparable than that.

That logic doesn't sound right either. Kind of like comparing the Mazda 3 to the Acura TSX, 2.5/2.4 I4 FF sedan, or even the Cobalt sedan with the TSX 2.2/2.4 I4 FF sedan. Comparable class of car? don't think so.

clem24
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

That logic doesn't sound right either. Kind of like comparing the Mazda 3 to the Acura TSX, 2.5/2.4 I4 FF sedan, or even the Cobalt sedan with the TSX 2.2/2.4 I4 FF sedan. Comparable class of car? don't think so.

Welp I was responding to redlyne.. If you actually would read my posts from earlier in the thread, you'll realize that I mention more. Class of car obviously includes more than just layout and engine...

badatusrnames
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Similar to when the Japanese started to compete with the Germans now the Koreans are coming up on the Japanse.

The Genesis shows how far Hyundai has come from the days of the Pony and Stellar.

There are definitely parallels with the Japanese manufacturers and how they came from building crap boxes to good cars.

It's been said before, since people buy brands, Hyundai needs to do what the Japanese manufacturers did - rebrand their high end models.

B4tMan
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
What a funny world when even the people liking/buying Nissan's become car snobs.

Well, no idea who you were addressing it to, but maybe they bought it for cash ... in which case your comment is void, as you are dealing with people who have the backup to be snobs.

el_cap
06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

No one looking to buy an Infiniti will cross shop the g37 against a genesis.

Not true - they are cross shopped all the time now, at least by car enthusiasts who know what they're doing. The cars are very similar, no surprise there. Not all Infiniti shoppers are badge whores!

I think the Genesis vs Mustang GT or Camaro cross shoppers are more rare, as people who buy domestic tend to stick with it, same with imports.