PDA

View Full Version : advice? used TL, Maxima or Deville?

as6654
04-30-2009, 05:21 AM
I've narrowed it down to 3 models,

2000-2001 Acura TL
2002-2003 Nissan Maxima
2001-2002 Cadillac Deville

looking to pick up one of the above with around 100 000kms

Does anyone know which of these would require the least maintenance and would cost the least so far as parts, repairs, etc...?

Also, I've read that the Acura and Maxima require premium fuel while the Cadillac can get by on regular, if this is true, I figure I'll end up paying about the same at the pump as the other two, would that be accurate?

any help here would be very much appreciated

sr20s14zenki
04-30-2009, 05:42 AM
if you do the math, premium doesnt really make that much of a difference on price at the pump

here, usually its what, 10cents difference?

lets say your tank is 55 litres

.10x55=5.50$.........big deal haha

Definately NOT the cadillac, unless you like fixing things daily.

I would take the maxima, they have just always been good IMO. My parents had one, went to 300,000 km, tranny broke, engine still runs mint. Wife has one, 240,000k and not a single problem yet, compression tests came out almost perfect still. The VQ engines have won award after award for best engine of the year and what not. Im biased tho, im a Nissan lover thru and thru.

Neil4Speed
04-30-2009, 07:40 AM
I would go with the TL - they are dead reliable minus the transmission problems, do some research but from what I have heard is if it hasn't gone through failure in the first 100,000 you should be safe.

Try to go for the 02+ model, they are facelifted and look more modern.

Maxima's are alright, but TL's feel like a different class if you ask me. If you do live the maxima, look at I30's and I35's, they are sometimes priced the exact same as a comparable maxima - much more refined ride. With the T package, they actually look fantastic.

I don't know much about Caddys, but I was under the impression that they are generally reliable.

corsvette
04-30-2009, 07:41 AM
My uncle had a DTS (deville) from new,had 280k on it when he sold it,never had a major problem with it (did NOT have to fix it daily)Out of the three i think it would be the cheapest to maintain or fix.
Tl is a decent looking car,more of a sports sedan than the caddy or Nissan.
Nissan is:zzz: boring as a car can be,but they are reliable.

narou
04-30-2009, 07:48 AM
I would get the acura because the maxima is just funny looking.

Oh and for the GM rubbish my parents have had quite a few over the years and I really didn't like them..

bigbadboss101
04-30-2009, 08:39 AM
I have owned 03 Maxima 6 speed, 03 TL-S, and Caddy but not the Deville.

Both the Maxima and TL were reliable, low maintenance. The Maxima I had from new. Both were nice looking, quick, lot of room etc. Would recommend both to others. I like the back end of the TL-S better. The 6 speed Maxima performed slightly better than the auto TL-S IMO.

Don't like the looks of the Deville. I do have a 04 CTS-V and the dealership feel is quite different. Liked Acura service quite a bit, with Nissan slightly behind, and then GM.

hampstor
04-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I would go with the TL - they are dead reliable minus the transmission problems, do some research but from what I have heard is if it hasn't gone through failure in the first 100,000 you should be safe.

I don't know much about Caddys, but I was under the impression that they are generally reliable.

You can't say a car is reliable minus the transmission problems! That's like saying my Titan is fuel efficient minus the 5.6L V8 :rofl:

as6654, I can't comment on the rest, but back in 2002-2003 I was seriously considering the Maxima. I did some research way back then and I hope this helps:

Out of that list, i'd pick the 2002-2003 Maxima w/ the VQ35DE and the 6 speed Manual w/ the LSD. Keep in mind that in the same A33 generation, 2000-2001 Maxima's had a diff engine than the 2002-2003's:

VQ30DE-K in A33 Maxima (2000-2001) : 222 hp / 217 ft/lbs
VQ35DE in A33 Maxima (2002-2003) : 255 hp / 246 ft/lbs

Both versions had the goofy round taillights, however the later A33's had a clear section around the edge while the earlier ones were solid. The later A33's also had HID's standard too.

Looking back, the VQ35DE is now used in many Nissan cars. You will find engine/tranny parts quite easily - and reliability of the VQ series motors is well known. My only concern if I was to buy a used 2002-2003 Maxima 6speed today is how abused the clutch is.

Kloubek
04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I'd go with the TL. IMO, it has the best reliability and quality.

Do NOT go with the Caddy... especially before the most recent models, they offered the worst quality/$ ratio. (Besides Land Rover, of course...)

prae
04-30-2009, 08:52 AM
wouldnt touch the cad, that era of TL is sooooo infamous for glass transmissions I would not touch it either. So I guess that leaves the max.

Neil4Speed
04-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

You can't say a car is reliable minus the transmission problems! That's like saying my Titan is fuel efficient minus the 5.6L V8 :rofl:

Lol, I realize what I said - kind of a oxymoronic (?) statement.

What I meant by that is that other than the transmission while vital to the vehicle, is the only real caveat with the car. If you look at reliability ratings for maximas, they experience a diverse range of problems - and nissan has been known for poor reliability relative to their other Japanese counterparts. Its not guaranteed that your tranny will fail on the TL, and with a installation of an aftermarket transmission cooler its proved to be effective at inhibiting failure.

What you said about sporting ability, I agree with you, but as the OP is looking at a Devlille, I don't think that is a priority. Also HID's are standard I believe on all TL's.

I have driven both - I have always liked maximas, but feel that the TL-S is superior vehicle.

Masked Bandit
04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I would drive the Acura and the Maxima back to back if you can. I had an '03 SE w/ 6sp manual and overall I loved the car but the thing had all kinds of crazy torque steer.

Edit: My Maxima had the heated steering wheel (comes with the leather package I think) and that RULED! It was one of those things that I thought was a waste when I bought the car but man was that nice through the winter.

JTC180
04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
TL

bigbadboss101
04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
The TL-S's transmission should be good until 160000km, at least mine was. If it was between the auto Maxima vs TL-S I would take the TL-S. 6 speed Max I would preferring slightly over the TL-S. If it's a TL non S, then the Max.

Don't like the Deville's looks myself.

The 255 hp version of the Max had HID, 6 speed, steering wheel control etc that are quite nice additions. Not a fan of the clear tails though.

Khalil.e
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Premium is recommended on the maxima - not a must. This was emphasized by my dealer.
The Maxima is also a fair bit qicker than the TL specified.
The turn signals on the TL feel and look like the same ones on my friends '95 civic - however the stereo is slightly better in the TL (unless you dynamat the rear deck of the maxima).
You really can't go wrong with either car - I would give the slight edge to the TL for overall quality, but if I had to do it all over again (had both in the family) - I'd go with an '02-'03 maxima !

C4S
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
DEVILLE !!!! :thumbsup:

Caramel Coffee
04-30-2009, 01:04 PM
ewww don't get either yuck gross man. sick.

scat19
04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
if you do the math, premium doesnt really make that much of a difference on price at the pump

here, usually its what, 10cents difference?

lets say your tank is 55 litres

.10x55=5.50$.........big deal haha

EXACTLY! I hate people that say premium is too expensive, and they wouldn't buy nice cars because of this.

I'm like OMG! It's 5 bucks a fucking tank! Jeez! 2 tanks a month, 10bux a month x 12 months = 120 dollars more per year!

911fever
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't get the TL, tranny issues. Honestly i've seen tons of them fail, just don't even bother with them. Get the Maxima, most bulletproof car.

punky
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
i absolutely love my maxima, though i do admit the TL looks better, but the TL in your year range do not have manual transmission, which i love about the 02 maxima. I have nothing to fix on my maxima except for regulate maintenance and fluids.

J's_racing
04-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I would go with acura... they've always been reliable for me and my family.

if you ever decide you might want a TSX PM me I have a cousin looking to sell

happy hunting :)

as6654
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
this is awesome info
thanks so much

it would be an automatic maxima, prefer GLE over SE but definetley an auto

I like to cruise and drive slow, right hand lane, and get dirty looks from all ya'll canucks who think it's odd for someone to drive super slow while blasting beats (I'm American btw)

I really like the feedback on the Maxima, but the desirability factor of the Caddy is real strong

I think the Acura is out unless I find a killer deal

I plan on getting big chrome wheels also which would look stupid on a maxima

I used to push a Park Avenue Ultra and loved the soft floaty ride and loosey goosey power steering,both of which everyone seems to hate these days

So i guess, I'm no closer to making my mind up, lol

about the only thing i know for certain, if I see a steal of a deal on any of them, I'll get it

pinoyhero
04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Try to go for the 02+ model, they are facelifted and look more modern.

Maxima's are alright, but TL's feel like a different class if you ask me. If you do live the maxima, look at I30's and I35's, they are sometimes priced the exact same as a comparable maxima - much more refined ride. With the T package, they actually look fantastic.

+1, I had an '02 it was a great car.

911fever
04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by as6654
this is awesome info
thanks so much

I like to cruise and drive slow, right hand lane, and get dirty looks from all ya'll canucks who think it's odd for someone to drive super slow while blasting beats (I'm American btw)

I really like the feedback on the Maxima, but the desirability factor of the Caddy is real strong

I used to push a Park Avenue Ultra and loved the soft floaty ride and loosey goosey power steering,both of which everyone seems to hate these days

about the only thing i know for certain, if I see a steal of a deal on any of them, I'll get it

just EL OH fucking EL

KyleTA
04-30-2009, 09:41 PM
this is awesome info
thanks so much

for your needs and wants, get the caddilac - a deville on big chrome wheels would look much better than the other two (on big chrome wheels)

corsvette
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
What i remember about the Deville is how quick it was,those 32v northstars move that big car quite well.

as6654
05-08-2009, 06:09 PM
a little update

by fluke, I got a beat on an a silver 01 TL with 140 000kms, elderly driver, 2nd owner, says vehicle has always been dealer serviced, asking $5400 and willing to certify

have yet to see it, he says it's in excellent condition, no tranny problems, everything working

should I jump on this?

been reading up on the Caddy forums and the Deville seems like a money pit

Neil4Speed
05-08-2009, 06:21 PM
a little update

by fluke, I got a beat on an a silver 01 TL with 140 000kms, elderly driver, 2nd owner, says vehicle has always been dealer serviced, asking $5400 and willing to certify

have yet to see it, he says it's in excellent condition, no tranny problems, everything working

should I jump on this?

been reading up on the Caddy forums and the Deville seems like a money pit

Hit it like its hot, if you don't I will.

jdmXSI
05-08-2009, 06:32 PM
my pick would be the newer generation TL or maxima. The rear main seal on the 32v northstar engine is a expensive job! I believe thelabour time is 24hrs and it affects <2007 model years.

bigbadboss101
05-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Price is quite good on the TL you mentioned.

as6654
05-08-2009, 10:51 PM
so it seems, plus $5400 was the first price out of his mouth, maybe I can talk him down

I also figure if it's gone 140k without tranny problems, it may be one of the few made that was non defective

Caddy is out for sure, no doubt about it,

but damn if I can't find one major negative thing about those maximas

I'm in no rush though since I walk to work and the TL owner is vacationing for the next week

Graham_A_M
05-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I'd pick up a new CTS-V in a heartbeat, but any older pre- '08 Caddy, I'd stay clear of. That northstar engine is quite powerful yes, but it has many shit parts that commonly fail in them (key word there being Many), and are very expensive to fix. Cadillacs electrical systems have been prone to consistant failures also up until just recently.

Its your call, but I'd go with a TL or a Maxima. I dont know too many people envious of a '01 or 02 Cadillac, or the other two options at least:rolleyes:

Yeah the older Cadi's are best avoided... just too many electrical issues typically, and their shit engines. Just not a wise pick.