PDA

View Full Version : If We Build It Would You Come

im2fst4u
04-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Could drive-in's be back?

A group of us has been working on this project for the past 8 months and I wanted to get the opinions of the car enthusiasts community to help solidify our investment.
We have secured a piece of property just north of the city close to the new Cross Iron Mills mall (destination location).
Drive-in's were a big hit back in the day and after some careful market research we know that the baby boomers will definitely attend to re-live their childhood memories.
One of our concerns is that will this be a one-time visit venue or will the younger generations help us in bringing back the drive-in theme?
We will have various types of food offered on-site as well as beverages.
Theme nights will be one of the biggest draws from our market research (50's 60's 70's nights where we will have window food delivery).
We would rent out the entire park for special events, concerts, weekend camp-outs, car shows etc.

How many Beyonders would take part in the drive-in experience? Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

(oh and of course Beyond members would be subject to a discount ;) )

HyperZell
04-30-2009, 10:12 AM
It would be something new to do in Calgary, so I'd definitely check it out.

2002civic
04-30-2009, 10:14 AM
it has the potential but it is out of town which makes things difficult and it is more of a fad IMO

JAYMEZ
04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell
It would be something new to do in Calgary, so I'd definitely check it out.

:werd: , and price would have to be good (we do have to sit in our own cars) ... and really good food would sell me!

mac_82
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
:thumbsup:

BigMass
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
if you solve the problem of a honda fit being stuck behind a lifted Ford F-350 then i'd go.

Also, good food would be a draw that would equal the movie.

djayz
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I think the main reason these things didn't stick around was the weather. Maintainence costs must have been high and with only 5 or so months of actual screening time, doesn't sound too great.

If you want a majority of the people on beyond to show up make sure the parking lot is paved haha.

chkolny541
04-30-2009, 10:24 AM
ive never been to one, i would deff check it out..
and if this cars a rocking, dont come a knockin

calgarygts
04-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I'd go for sure, that would be a super fun thing to do for a date. How would you work the sound - a speaker from the window or a system big enough for everyone to hear? Just curious.

Tik-Tok
04-30-2009, 10:26 AM
We've needed one for years, since HUB oil's snafu. I'm glad someone is taking serious interest in building one.

As said, the price would have to be right. (Coral's 2-for-1 was nice, even if it was always a shit movie with a good one)

You would need fairly tight security these days though (liability for drinking, fighting, etc.)

You couldn't be open half the year.

FM signal for sound I'd assume... which being that strong may require a radio license

3g4u
04-30-2009, 10:27 AM
I would love to see a drive-in back in Calgary.

Weapon_R
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
You should find out why the old drive-in failed. Even when it was around, they weren't really that busy.

That said, it would be a lot of fun but the novelty might wear off quick.

01RedDX
04-30-2009, 10:35 AM

3g4u
04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You should find out why the old drive-in failed. Even when it was around, they weren't really that busy.

That said, it would be a lot of fun but the novelty might wear off quick.

I thought it got closed down due to the Hub oil explosion back in 99?:dunno:

Tik-Tok
04-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 3g4u

I thought it got closed down due to the Hub oil explosion back in 99?:dunno:

They weren't making much before that though, I heard several times they were going to close down. HUB was lucky for them.

Insurance payout VS just closing shop.

LadyLuck
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
if you solve the problem of a honda fit being stuck behind a lifted Ford F-350 then i'd go.

:rofl: Good point!

I always wanted to go to a drive-in.
Would definitely check it out!

3g4u
04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They weren't making much before that though, I heard several times they were going to close down. HUB was lucky for them.

Insurance payout VS just closing shop.

Makes sense. Thats some goood luck for sure.:nut:

bituerbo
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I for SURE would check it out. Finding a use for the land during winter months (RV storage?) could definitely help offset costs and maintain long-term viability.

Cheap 'cult classic' movie nights during the week, blockbusters on weekends. Beyond movie nights every other week, not having to worry about who's pawing our cars in the parking lot.

As for radio... you can transmit 1Watt without a license, which unobstructed can travel for 1km.

dr_jared88
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 3g4u
I would love to see a drive-in back in Calgary.

So how exactly would a back-in work? You have to watch the movie through the rear view mirror? haha

msommers
04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
A couple summers ago, some friends and I were hanging out at his cabin near Salmon Arm. None of us had been to a drive-in, so we decided to check it out (this one here (http://www.starlightdrivein.ca/) ). While it was interesting to do firsthand, I really wasn't that interested in doing it again. If one was in Calgary, I may go again but doubtful a following time.

EK 2.0
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

:rofl: Good point!

I always wanted to go to a drive-in.
Would definitely check it out!

*mental note*....

Build the drive-in...as so I can take LadyLuck out....

I would totally go though...
you would have as mentioned have some great food even though as much I don't eat in Hollie...

the road leading to and from would have to be manageable for lowered cars...

And I know this sort of falls in a persons own stereo, but the sound quality would have to be good...

You can't control this as much...but riff raff from idiots totally ruins the drive-in experience...Speaking from first hand dealings, as I used to go to the drive-in by the old hub oil a lot on my high school days...(damn, I just dated myself haha)

GQBalla
04-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

lol never fails

I would totally go though...
you would have as mentioned have some great food even though as much I don't eat in Hollie...

just eat outside gangster lean on hollie and munch quick

sputnik
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Winnipeg had a drive in up until last year.

When I was living there I went a couple of times and I can say to those interested...

Don't go to a drive-in if you actually intend to watch a movie.

Here are the drawbacks to drive-ins IMO.

- Your seats in your car are generally uncomfortable compared to theatre seats. Consider a double feature will be 4-5 hours.

- Your sound will suck compared to the theatre. Most drive-ins use and FM transmitter for sound. Those will an expensive car stereo (which is pointless anyways due to the FM sound) will need to run their car to prevent their battery from dieing.

- Visibility can be crap. People walking around in front of your car, tall trucks in front of youm having to stare through a windshield and really the front seat is the only place you get an unobstructed view of the screen.

- When the weather is warm you need A/C, when the weather is cold you need heat. When the weather is nice enough to have the windows open you get mosquitoes.

That said...

If you are looking for a tailgate party, picnic and car show with a movie playing in the background then drive-ins are awesome. Unfortunately there are very few weekends in Calgary where the evening temps are warm enough to make it fun more than a couple times a year.

bonjoey
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
^^^ lol memories of wpg drive-in
i used to go there a lot with my tinted 82 z28 and can't really remember all the movies i watched

always fun with a chick and weed though :nut:

Melinda
04-30-2009, 12:51 PM
We used to go to the drive in ALL THE TIME. It was a great way for a not-so-rich family for 4 to spend a night together watching two movies. Got to get cheaper snacks of our own choice before we went and had a great time. Used the good old family mini van, took the seats out and all 4 of us layed out in the back with blankets and snacks. Some fond memories of the drive in from my childhood, I'd love to give my kids some similar memories.

BigShow
04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
This would be a very bad business venture IMO. Resurrecting a failed concept works sometimes when variables are changed.

There isn't much that has changed or can change with a Drive-In theater experience.

Some excellent points already mentioned, its simply a dated form of entertainment. Nostalgia doesn't always translate into dollars.

white
04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
i remember back in the day my parents took me and my brother to jurassic park on the big screen it was dope. Then after that it burnt down

berbatov
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I'd support a drive in located in town

PureDeXteritY
05-01-2009, 12:09 AM
You should add a "I'd check it out, but no more than once or twice" tab to your poll.
I'm sure a lot of people would check it out at first, I know I'd definitely check it out. but as stated earlier, the novelty would wear off pretty quick.
I'd go for the experience, but as for repeat business...I don't think it would last too long.

leftwing
05-01-2009, 12:20 AM
definatly a fail. people would only pay to go once. just for the experience. its not something people would do on a weekly or even monthly basis. i would maybe go if like a bunch of friends all wanted to make an evening of it to drive out to balzac. but thats it.

and like sputnik said the cons out weigh the pros by a landslide. i cant even think of any pros of going to a drive in opposed to a movie at home or theatre, except the experience, so basically people would be paying for the experience. and after that one time..thats it.

there is a reason they arent around anymore.

im2fst4u
05-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks to all who voiced their opinions and submitted their suggestions. It is a big decision as well as a very large investment and the replies that I have received so far in the thread, opened our eyes to more concerns and ideas.
There is a market for the idea but the key is to keep it entertaining, ever changing and a destination location for years to come for all to enjoy. So far it looks like we are a go and I will update our ideas and changes as we move forward.
It may be a risky venture but if we do not try we will never know "what could have been".
Again, thanks to all for the input.

torob
05-01-2009, 12:30 AM
In my opinion, if it was closer it would've been great..
If your land is big, then i say get a kicker sound system, and let "cheap", reasonable parties be held there.

If its good enough, i'm sure many people, (kids) wouldn't mind bringing a party there, maybe get served something, and just have fun.

Movies, myself maybe check it out once, but probably not bother again.

Make it fun, maybe have awesome events, cheap, parties etc.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Schwa
05-01-2009, 12:44 AM
This was my project in ENTI 201, to look at the viability of a drive-in. Overall it's not worth it because the majority of your revenue comes from concessions and not the movies themselves.

The royalties you have to pay for blockbusters can start at 95% during the first week, and then it's a sliding scale week after week. Again, most of your money comes from selling popcorn and stuff like that.

In a drive-in, unless you check every car extremely closely, most people are probably going to bring in their own food to avoid paying theatre prices. Our climate, as previously mentioned, is not conducive for profits since your operating time is limited to our short summer months.

Finally, the movie industry as a whole is floundering due to piracy and MPAA making everyone hate them. It would be silly IMO to get into this business now.

brucebanner
05-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by msommers
A couple summers ago, some friends and I were hanging out at his cabin near Salmon Arm. None of us had been to a drive-in, so we decided to check it out (this one here (http://www.starlightdrivein.ca/) ).

I was going to mention this Drive in, as I think I am going to opening night tomorrow.

I've been going to drive in's since I was younger as the town I grew up in back east has one, and still uses it to this day.

They have a couple weekends throughout the summer where they play movies all night (advertised as: Dusk 'til Dawn) and man we used to party hard during those in the summer, good memories..

I think the idea of having one in Calgary could be a good idea, I would go every now and then (If I was still living in Calgary).

LadyLuck
05-01-2009, 01:00 AM

*mental note*....

Oh Sugar, you dont need to build a drive-in to take me out ;)

shamez
05-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I think you would be wasting your money doing this. Your target market is anyone who is 16+ with thier own cars... so dont even think you will get any junior high kids and most high school kids to come. Also unless you price your movies $5 or less.. no one will drive down to cross iron mills when they can watch somthing inside warm and comfortable. It was a hit back in the day... but what do you think the reason is for shutting them down? agian dont waste your money on somthing like this.. people will think its cool..theyll come try it out... but wont return.

Moezer
05-01-2009, 01:44 AM
very nice idea, always saw it on movies and wondered how would it be if we had one these days +1 on my side... will this include an out door movie screen as well :D P.S i didnt read all the posts before posting :D

JMaj7
05-01-2009, 04:37 AM
Minimal supervision (foggy windows and smoke), good food and glasswipes will make me a frequent customer. It'll be nice to see people wipe the inside of their windshields a little more.

nobb
05-01-2009, 07:03 AM
As a business, I dont see this idea as being very profitable. However, it may be a viable idea for something to do at night or for fun once in a while. Check out the idea behind a "Guerilla Drive-in" :
http://www.instructables.com/id/Start-a-Guerrilla-Drive-in/

Basically a mobile/portable drive in. Seems very easy to setup, but not as professional as a "real" drive in.

bspot
05-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I wonder if our friend with the tinted windshield will show up :rofl:

03ozwhip
05-03-2009, 08:57 AM
i have been thinking about this idea for a while with some of my buddies, but never really acted on it. IMO more people will go and keep going then not. especially the "just got drivers licence" kids, because i was one of them.

my age and at least ten years older, the people that actually grew up going to these as a cheap family outing liek Melinda said, is why youll keep getting business. definitely change a few things, maybe instead of a theatre concession, have something along the lines of a 7-11 with those prices and maybe port o potties, because it was shitty to go all the way to the concession and wait to piss.

as for the truck thing, i remember that and it will only get worse because the rednecks trucks are getting higher and higher these days. simple solution, trucks/vans anything bigger than a CUV in the back. its a big enough screen that they can still see it.

people might not go once a week or once a month, but really who in their 20's and early 30's does? its a treat, its the same with the indoor theatre if you go too much it gets boring.

all in all, i think its a great idea and even though i might not go very much, i would actually go more than i actually go to a theatre for a few reasons...

1) the packed theatres and "can you move down because we got here too late and we want to still sit together?" fuck no.

2) the young fucks and me wanting to smash most of em

3)comfort zone, cant beat sitting in your own car watching a movie and farting when you want too( everyone knows what i mean)

4)?????

5)profit!!!

CMW403
05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
first of all, you'll need to develop a vehicle sizing plan and definetly have an employee directing vehicles 24/7. us tuners would be infinitely pissed off if we were stuck behind a lifted dodge ram 3500. also, a big issue these days is how it costs 12 dollars for a ticket, 10 for a popcorn, and 8 for a drink. other than that i think its a fucking great idea, weather permitting.

Kloubek
05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
^^^ Actually, easy fix. Just block off the front with fences, and install one of those bar frames that state the height. (Like you have before entering underground parking.) That will force anyone taller to be in the back.

As far as the pricing of food and drink, I agree and I disagree. I agree that the prices are outrageous and it would be nice to have something reasonably priced. However, overpriced food and drink is something that makes the theatres TONS of profit. If the OP is solely looking to stay open based on ticket prices, I don't think the profit margin would be acceptable for a viable business.

On the other hand, since people are driving in, they have ample opportunity to bring their own food and drink at no charge. The higher price you charge, the more likely they will do so as opposed to buying from the concession. You can state at the entrance that outside food and drink is forbidden, but policing that would be virtually impossible. (And not necessarily good for repeat business)

CMW403
05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^^ Actually, easy fix. Just block off the front with fences, and install one of those bar frames that state the height like you have before entering underground parking. That will force anyone taller to be in the back.

great idea kloubek. although you may need three sizing requirements instead of two. being in a lowered prelude behind a CRV would still be frustrating. maybe tuners should get their own section:dunno:

Kloubek
05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, while I feel for the "tuners", being on Beyond and everything, I think it would be silly to have a section just for them.

I thought about the idea of three sections (small, medium, big), but I think it might be a little unrealistic having an extra one of those gates for medium sized vehicles. (People in a CRV probably don't know the height of their vehicle, and will end up getting stuck under the metal bar)

Perhaps the better choice than TWO gates (assuming there is not a single person directing traffic) would be to simply have a lit sign asking customer to respect others, and not park up front if they have a larger vehicle. It would be hit-and-miss, but I'm sure not everyone coming will be an asshole. :)

im2fst4u
05-22-2009, 05:45 PM
UPDATE: We are a full go for a spring/summer 2010 opening (hopefully by the middle of May).

Thanks to all for the great input and ideas.

To those who consider this a waste of time and money.....hopefully we can prove it was a good investment and I appreciate the constructive criticism.

To the members who PM'd me and offered many ideas and words of encouragement....THANK YOU!

Thank's to Maya (LadyLuck) for the input and we WILL be contacting you very soon!

I wanted to thank Beyond and its members by offering a $1000 cash prize to anyone that suggests a name for the drive-in. What I would like to see is a "top ten" list for suggested names then once that has been decided I will let Beyond vote on the names in a different thread that I will start once we have found 10 great names! (Thanks Rage2 for allowing me to run the contest)

The "name the drive-in" contest begins today and will run through till Friday July 31st 2009.

Keep in mind when considering names that this will be one of the most advanced drive-in theaters around. Laser shows, holographic systems and one of the best audio video systems that one can buy.

Lets hear some thoughts!

koopkoop2
05-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Don't take this question as an insult because it's not. I'm just genuinely curious.

What will be your main revenue source from this place?

BrknFngrs
05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
When you were looking into this venture did you look into margins for normal movie establishments? I realize you'd have far less upkeep but the margins are reallly thin.

403ep3
05-22-2009, 06:51 PM
The only thing that would suck is all the high school kids making it their hangout spot =( I hate teeny bopper high school kids causing trouble because they think they are all that!

I guess that would be your main revenue but :banghead:

chris
05-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Don't go to a drive-in if you actually intend to watch a movie.

I totally agree. I think if the OP was to open a drive thru you need to play movies from the 60s/70s/80s, good cult classic movies like the goonies, ferris bueller's day off, rocky horror picture show on halloween etc.... Things that are more about the event than the actually movie. I think death proof/planet terror would be perfect for the drive-in. Just a suggestion though...

PureDeXteritY
05-23-2009, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
UPDATE: We are a full go for a spring/summer 2010 opening (hopefully by the middle of May).

Thanks to all for the great input and ideas.

To those who consider this a waste of time and money.....hopefully we can prove it was a good investment and I appreciate the constructive criticism.

To the members who PM'd me and offered many ideas and words of encouragement....THANK YOU!

Thank's to Maya (LadyLuck) for the input and we WILL be contacting you very soon!

I wanted to thank Beyond and its members by offering a $1000 cash prize to anyone that suggests a name for the drive-in. What I would like to see is a "top ten" list for suggested names then once that has been decided I will let Beyond vote on the names in a different thread that I will start once we have found 10 great names! (Thanks Rage2 for allowing me to run the contest)

The "name the drive-in" contest begins today and will run through till Friday July 31st 2009.

Keep in mind when considering names that this will be one of the most advanced drive-in theaters around. Laser shows, holographic systems and one of the best audio video systems that one can buy.

Lets hear some thoughts!

Sounds like Fun!
How are names being submitted? Do we just post them here, PM them, or are you making a separate thread for it?

403Gemini
05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Sit in my car and not have to worry about annoying little fucks in a theater while I get to enjoy the movie with my lady?

Sign me up.

403Gemini
05-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
The only thing that would suck is all the high school kids making it their hangout spot =( I hate teeny bopper high school kids causing trouble because they think they are all that!

I guess that would be your main revenue but :banghead:

Bah we could just have a weekly beyond meet and kick their asses out of there for loitering ;)

Hakkola
05-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I really hope you guys have come up with a good business plan.

I agree with all the negative comments, that said, there is one advantage over the old drive-in, that being the larger population. However, you're in a shitty location and I'm not going to drive all the way up there to watch a movie, so maybe the population increase is a moot point.

Your survey here is pretty much useless as well except as a means of advertising.

I wish you the best of luck though! (Not sarcasm).

black13
05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
If your gonna play new release movies and charge $12, you won't make even a single dollar on each ticket sold. The price is $12 everywhere because that is what Hollywood producers set the price at. Even theaters like Empire/Cineplex don't make almost anything on the actual tickets sold. Their whole revenue comes from concession.

So yea if you play classic movies, not only would you make more money and be able to charge less, you would also get more interest as not everyone wants to see today's movies.

And yea Grindhouse would be a must showing for this.

JMaj7
05-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's a few quick ones...

"I'm in-Drive-inn"
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"<--remember the movie?
"POkErface nights"

03ozwhip
06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
whats going on with this? any updates?

Disoblige
06-20-2010, 11:46 PM
^^ I never ever saw this thread before! I initially thought it was new, then saw im2fst4u's post on Spring/Summer 2010 grand opening!

:clap:

So indeed, what's up? Sounds like fun, especially if there are lots of fun foods involved.

drtoohotty1
06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
+1 for updates and also very interested!

C_Dave45
06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I would definitely come and be a regular. However I doubt this can be a viable venture. I would LOVE to see it succeed but I think the land value here in Calgary is what would kill it. I doubt the costs incurred (start up as well as operating) would be covered by what the market would bare for admission.

The whole drive-in experience is something many of you didn't get to enjoy. Nothing more exciting than piling the kids in their jammies into the car and watching a movie with your own treats and goodies. I grew up on that. But its gone the way of the Dodo bird almost. Land value, family values, fancy mega theatres, huge corporate multi-chain theatres.... *sigh* :(

We've been to the one drive-in in Enderby, BC...but it won't be long before it gets shut down. Just no money in it. And the land there is WAY cheaper than anything in Calgary.

nobb
06-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I would love to go to a drive-in...but unfortunately I dont think it would be economically feasible for anyone to open one up.

As food for thought though, possibly a non-profit drive-in could be opened as a hobby. Im thinking a powerful projector + laptop + diy FM transmitter could be done by a hobbyist just for fun. Have random meets in a parking lot or something.

e31
06-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I would only go to the drive in theatre if I was assured that Ninja Turtles 3 would be playing. That was the last movie advertised at the old drive in if I recall correctly...

drtoohotty1
06-22-2010, 06:53 PM
What if the land was just outside the city limits?:dunno:

Phenix
06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I would be down for this for sure. Maybe for the window food service you guys could set up something with text messaging? Would save the run around time. And everyone has a cell phone. But the older peeps don't always text

freshprince1
06-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I would love to Check out a Drive in with my car stereo booming out the sound!!!!

Back in High School I'd drive my parent's Ford Aerostar and put air matresses in the back instead of the seats, and watch the movie with the back door open...that was fun.

bubbley
06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
that is a great idea