PDA

View Full Version : Review: Mango Shiva

A790
04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Mango Shiva
218-8th Avenue SE
(403) 532-8980
www.mangoshiva.com - Online reservations available.

Ambiance: 4.5/5
Service: 5/5
Food: 4.5/5
Value: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

Summary: Directly across the stress from Flames Central on arguably Calgary's most eclectic street (Stephen Avenue), Mango Shiva is subdued and subtle on the exterior. Once you make the transition indoors you are greeted with a charming restaurant with contemporary styling and an open concept.

Introduction:

A good friend of mine did me a favour and I decided to repay her by taking her and her boyfriend out for dinner. Since both she and I are foodies, and together have sampled a good 90% of Calgary's high-end/upscale restaurants, I had a hard time thinking of a venue to visit that neither her nor myself had already visited.

Then, remembering a date that I went on in October on Stephen Avenue, Mango Shiva popped into my mind. I knew it was an Indian establishment, and both her and I love Indian food. Using my iPhone and the OpenTable application (a GREAT application, by the way) I was able to find the restaurant, check out its menu, and make reservations. I received a follow-up e-mail confirming the reservation I had made a full week in advance.

Sunday finally arrives, and the weather is typical Calgary: snowing, windy, and cold. Most people would have opted to stay indoors given the poor driving conditions and general lack of warmth the weather was offering. After all, it's almost May, why should we get decent weather anyway? Despite this I made my way to the restaurant and was, of course, the first to arrive. I didn't realize it at the time, but the gentleman that greeted me at the door was one of the owners of Mango Shiva.

I expressed interest in their OpenTable reservation interface (my restaurant is having that installed in roughly a months time) and he showed me how it worked. Very cool of him.

After being seated my friends arrived shortly thereafter, and the nights festivities began.

Atmosphere:

Contemporary styling combined with traditional Indian decor create an engaging atmosphere that is interesting and conversation provoking. Every aspect of the restaurant, from the bathrooms to the bar, have been given ample treatment to create a wonderful ambiance. I truly feel that if there is one element that most Calgarian restaurants lack today it would be ambiance.

But, that's simply how Mango Shiva operates: with style. Everything in this restaurant is oozing with it, and that is in no way a bad thing. The function-table, which looked as if it could accommodate 12-16 people, was intimately lit with a unique chandelier that was easily the focal-point within the room. The tables themselves could easily be arranged into any configuration- I imagine that booking large parties/functions are quite common here.

The lighting is romantic, with each table lit just enough to allow its occupants to see their meals... but not necessarily each other. It creates the kind of atmosphere that ignites sparks when appropriate- I can see how two people could greatly appreciate each others company in such an environment.

Two glass doors separate the restaurant from the misery outside, and once you've made the transition through the doors you'll have your selection of three different dining areas (despite the fact that the restaurant is essentially a long room): the comfortable tables to the immediate left, the tables that adorn both the left and right walls of the restaurant about 3/4 the way back, or the "floating" tables at the back of the restaurant.

One thing to note is that Flames Central is directly across the street from Mango Shiva, and the signs that are constantly blinking/shining are visible on the periphery of your vision. It didn't bother me, but one of my companions did comment on it a number of times. Ask your server to close the blinds if it is a problem.

Service:

Our server, named Dan, was formal at first and offered typical upscale service: polite, well spoken, but reserved and distant from the table. Some people may find this type of service appealing, but I appreciate personable and intuitive service. About halfway through our meal, Dan seemed to come around, and it was glorious. He started mixing us his own concoctions and wound up serving me a fantastic Martini that I have forever dubbed "the daNNo". If he serves you, ask him for it.

At no point did our table want anything that Dan wasn't providing. Water glasses were constantly filled, drink orders were taken promptly and delivered in the same manner, and our table was serviced very efficiently. If I could have more servers like that at my bistro I would be a happy man. I was half-tempted to offer Dan a job, but to be honest, I think I'd prefer to work at Mango Shiva ;).

After our final course the owner I had met earlier came and introduced himself as such- very cool of him. He explained the nature of the business and how it's family owned. We chatted for a little bit about the industry, but in reality is was the three of us gushing to him about how we were in love with his restaurant.

Food:

Many restaurants in Calgary offer you a fantastic dining experience, with great atmosphere and exceptional service, and then offer you mediocre food and almost seem to say "we know our food isn't reflective of the rest of the experience, but please forgive us since we do everything else so well". Mango Shiva turns that theory on its side and renders it obsolete.

The food at this restaurant is nothing short of exceptional. We started with two different samosas: the "curried beef samosas with tamarind chili and mango chutney" ($9.90) and "spicy potato, onion, and cilantro samosas" ($8.90). Both were delicious, though I was more partial to the curried beef version. Following that, we enjoyed a "rustic chicken curry bowl" ($15.90) and sampled some of the most flavorful and tender chicken I've ever had at a restaurant.

Our main courses, however, are what you want to know about and are definitely what I want to talk about. I ordered the "organic beef tenderloin in fig, apricot, khoa reduction with curried greens and onion bhaji" ($29.90), my friend ordered the "butter fire roasted chicken, masala vegetables, and naan" ($23.90), and her boyfriend had the "grilled pork tenderloin, hot and sour vindaloo curry, and chili garlic potatoes" ($23.90).

I know it's lame to order beef tenderloin at an Indian restaurant, but my curiosity of how it was prepared was simply too great. In every way am I glad that I ordered it, as it was one of the most tender, flavorful, and intricate cuts of tenderloin that I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It was so tender that I was able to eat it using a butter knife, and it literally melted away in my mouth, revealing a different flavor combination with each layer that flaked away. It was a sensory experience unlike anything I have had in recent memory, and is the sole reason why Mango Shiva will be one of the most frequented restaurants in my "little black book" of Calgary venues.

The butter fire chicken was also excellent, though it didn't strike me in the same way that my tenderloin did. Like our rustic chicken curry bowl that we enjoyed earlier, the chicken itself was loaded with three different flavor combinations. The initial flavor after biting into it was a mild curry, followed by chicken, and concluded with a semi-sweet finish- masterfully done.

I was disappointed when my friends boyfriend ordered the pork, as I am not a pork lover, so I must admit that I did not try it. However, he was quite enamored with it and left nothing on his plate to suggest that it wasn't enjoyable. Perhaps the next time I go I'll try a piece if my companion orders it.

I followed my entree with a "mixed herb salad with mango, paneer, and spiced nuts" ($9.90) and enjoyed some time with a daNNo martini and light conversation. Our server brought us a traditional Indian dessert (the name is currently eluding me) and it was delicious- it was three pastry balls covered in a sweet sauce, served with green tea sorbet. Light, and very tasty- an excellent conclusion.

Conclusion:

Mango Shiva is the second restaurant I've ever visited that's receive a perfect score overall, and it absolutely deserves it. Exceptional service, engaging ambiance, and wonderful food combine to create an experience that is second to none. The best part is that this all happens at a price point that is barely more expensive than Joey Tomatoes or Moxies.

Mango Shiva is a must-visit for anyone who even enjoys the idea of Indian Food. You would be doing yourself an immense disservice by not trying this fantastic Stephen Avenue venue.

jdmSiR
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Heading there tonight! Thanks for the review.

GQBalla
04-30-2009, 11:12 AM
hrmm interesting.

i should try this place -

always a pleasure to read your reviews

rumeo
04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Was your dessert called gulab jaman?

lilmira
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I went there during dinning week. I had the pork tenderloin that's over-cooked like pork in chinese soup. Everything else tasted ok but didn't quite justify the price. I thought they would try to impress customers during dinning week.

Food was well presented and the inside was nicely decorated.

DJ_NAV
04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I found it overpriced.... nice deco and everything. but I had to order two entrees to fill me up and they were double the price. Normal Indian food places have an entree for about 12-18 and they can serve two people no problem.

msommers
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Great review, I think I may have consider this one soon! Though I have to admit, I'm a bit of a curry pussy because some of it is just way too hot :rofl:

As for you guys comparing amounts, it can be very subjective here. While I appreciate something at good value, when I'm eating out (which isn't very often), I much rather prefer quality over quantity. The extremes here are obvious so I'm not going to explain myself; finding a medium between those is very difficult. Location and decor often add to the price of entrees as well. While that may seem stupid to some, it is what it is.

jdmakkord
04-30-2009, 10:22 PM
You don't eat here if you are expecting traditional Indian food. Its a great date restaurant, with a lounge feel and good food. I was a regular in their old location in penny lane. This one blows it away.

A790
05-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I certainly have nothing but great things to say about Mango Shiva, but yes, it definitely isn't "traditional" Indian food.

DNSRadio
05-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by A790
I certainly have nothing but great things to say about Mango Shiva, but yes, it definitely isn't "traditional" Indian food.

agreed

VWEvo
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Mango Shiva, is absolutely a fantastic restaurant. Great service, and great food!!

/////AMG
05-02-2009, 11:14 AM
:thumbsup: Great place, I've been theree bfore and it was quite good, although that was a few years ago... I'm sure they're doing better now.

phreezee
10-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Had their lunch box today for $13.75. I like that they give you an extra bag for naan and you can absolutely stuff the box. Everything was good, but doesn't come close to the spice filled flavour of Mirchi downtown. It kills Glory of India though.

bubbley
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
overpriced and small servings

decor and ambience are top notch

gatorade
10-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Good food, but not worth the price and the small servings.

BigShow
10-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by gatorade
Good food, but not worth the price and the small servings.

Agreed. It's ok but not enticing enough to make a trip back.