PDA

View Full Version : Major Natural Gas Discovery

modded46
04-30-2009, 02:33 PM
I DON'T want this to turn into a US vs. Canada thread.. But any way you look at it, it's gotta hurt both the price of natural gas which is already low as well as Alberta providing it to the U.S.

CADDO PARISH, La. -- A massive natural-gas discovery here in northern Louisiana heralds a big shift in the nation's energy landscape. After an era of declining production, the U.S. is now swimming in natural gas.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124104549891270585.html

Jlude
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Good for Louisiana... Shitty for the price of Natural gas though.

sputnik
04-30-2009, 03:02 PM
EnCana already has quite a few active wells in Northern Louisiana.

thetransporter
04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Bre-x

badatusrnames
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Shale gas... a tad more complicated to extract than just sticking a hole in the ground.

Is it 200TCF in place or 200TCF recoverable? Big difference.

Oldskool
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Shale gas... a tad more complicated to extract than just sticking a hole in the ground.

Is it 200TCF in place or 200TCF recoverable? Big difference.

definitely in place,

Big deal, another shale gas play, it's still not that big. Those are expensive projects.

ExtraSlow
04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
My company is big in that play. It's another in a growing list of massive gas-in-place plays that are technologically difficult to produce economically. Not very recent news though.

I've been told that the Haynesville is the closest US play to our Horn River shale in terms of Geology. Although the economics are better for gas that already exists in the lower 48 instead of stuff in Northern Canada, just due to transportation costs.

Xtrema
04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by modded46
I DON'T want this to turn into a US vs. Canada thread.. But any way you look at it, it's gotta hurt both the price of natural gas which is already low as well as Alberta providing it to the U.S.

CADDO PARISH, La. -- A massive natural-gas discovery here in northern Louisiana heralds a big shift in the nation's energy landscape. After an era of declining production, the U.S. is now swimming in natural gas.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124104549891270585.html

It's funny that you said you don't want to turn this into US vs Canada, yet almost everyone here is involved in that play.

Shale gas is like oil sand, you need higher prices before it's worth recovering.

Let hope T. Boone Pickens get the CNG industry going to create some demands.