View Full Version : Review: Tucker's Fine Foods, AKA: Mother Tuckers

spikerS
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
- Restaurant name: Tucker's Fine Foods AKA Mother Tuckers
- Location 10th ave SW beside the Whiskey

- Food rating 5/5
- Ambience 4/5
- Service 4/5

This has got to be one of the oldest places in town, and it has not changed over the years. I have been going there for about 25 years, and will probably go for another 25.

The specialty here is prime rib, and they are awesome at it. All of their meals come with their salad bar, which is much more than salad, and people I take there for the first time often comment that it is a meal on it's own.

I recently took my wife there for her 30th birthday, (side note: Birthday meals are free), and 6 of us went. 4 of us had the prime rib, 2 of us had steak and crab. factor in drinks and tip, and it was under $200 for the night.

On another side note, the 2 people that ate the steak and crab ended up getting sick and vomiting all night. take from that what you will, but in the 25 years we have been going there, this has never happened before, and we blame the crab.

The prime rib there is simply amazing and cooked to order, and I hold this resteraunt in high regard, and reccomend it to everyone!

Nufy
04-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Best paralyzers in the city.......IMO

Weapon_R
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Avoid the free birthday meal. I made the mistake of getting their prime rib once, and it was the absolute worst I have ever had.

Every other time, the food was great. Probably a bad night but I got the feeling they give the birthday people the scraps.

bspot
04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Food 5/5?

Ambiance 4/5?

You apparently aren't going to the same Mother #uckers as me...

spikerS
05-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by bspot
Food 5/5?

Ambiance 4/5?

You apparently aren't going to the same Mother #uckers as me...

My prime rib was awesome, the food that I have always had there has been great! the ambiance and decor to the yuppie crowd leaves much to be desired, but in context is really well done. I enjoy the atmosphere because it is not loud or flashy, but is rooted in Calgary's history.

some people have really short attention spans and need glitter everywhere to stay focused i guess.

ExtraSlow
05-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Mother Tuckers is tasty and reasonably priced. I wouldn't call it "fine dining," but it has not pretensions of that. Excellent restaurant.

bspot
05-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by spikers

My prime rib was awesome, the food that I have always had there has been great! the ambiance and decor to the yuppie crowd leaves much to be desired, but in context is really well done. I enjoy the atmosphere because it is not loud or flashy, but is rooted in Calgary's history.

some people have really short attention spans and need glitter everywhere to stay focused i guess.

I used to work right by there and we ended up going for the lunch buffet (probably part of the problem). Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible, but I've definitely had better.