PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Hydroxycut Recall

Redlined_8000
05-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't know if anyone here uses hydroxycut, but I guess the FDA just announced a recall on all of their products due to liver damage and 1 death.

WASHINGTON -- Government health officials warned dieters and body builders Friday to immediately stop using Hydroxycut, a widely sold supplement linked to cases of serious liver damage and at least one death. The Food and Drug Administration said the maker of the dietary supplement has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products. Available in grocery stores and pharmacies, Hydroxycut is advertised as made from natural ingredients. At least 9 million packages were sold last year, the FDA said. Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said the agency has received 23 reports of liver problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy living in the Southwest. The teenager died in 2007, and the death was reported to the FDA this March. Other patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver. There was no immediate comment from the U.S. distributor of the diet pill, Iovate Health Sciences, headquartered near Buffalo, N.Y. Made by a Canadian company, Hydroxycut is used by people trying to shed pounds and by body builders to sharpen their muscles. Dietary supplements aren't as tightly regulated by the government as medications. Manufacturers don't need to prove to the FDA that their products are safe and effective before they can sell them to consumers. But regulators monitor aftermarket reports for signs of trouble, and in recent years companies have been put under stricter requirements to alert the FDA when they learn of problems. Katz said it has taken so long to get a handle on the Hydroxycut problem because the cases of liver damage were rare and the FDA has no authority to review supplements before they're marketed. "Part of the problem is that the FDA looks at dietary supplements from a post-market perspective, and an isolated incident is often difficult to follow," she said. The FDA relies on voluntary reports to detect such problems, and many cases are never reported, officials acknowledge. Health officials said they have been unable to determine which Hydroxycut ingredients are potentially toxic, partially because the formulation of the products has changed several times. A medical journal report last month raised questions about one ingredient, hydroxycitric acid, derived from a tropical fruit. The article said it could potentially damage the liver.

Link: http://www.sacbee.com/832/story/1826422.html

2EFNFAST
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Interesting, however I'd wonder if it's the product that's directly responsible or the user - what I mean by this is most (key word, most, not all) of people who use safe products like hydroxocut, creatine, etc.. etc... have no clue about proper amounts and pop half the bottle in one sitting thinking more = better.

Hell, I knew somebody who used to consume 25scoops of whey protein per day and didn't lift or train or anything - he did it because whey is healthy. Yea, sure, but 25 scoops worth??

Redlined_8000
05-01-2009, 02:15 PM
^^ i know what you mean, and also I wonder if that 19 year old even took the recommended servings... probably not though. Id bet he was at 2-3 times recommended servings.

JAYMEZ
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
I really question how much he was taking , and with what? Also previous health issues could be a leading factor to his death.

Wildcat
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Keep in mind they are talking about the American version of Hydroxycut which has a much different proprietary blend than the Canadian product. Health Canada has a much more strict policy concerning dietary supplements versus the FDA. Many of the ingredients found in the American product are not in the Canadian version as they have already been banned and removed from the Canadian market.

JAYMEZ
05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
^^ True , but I keep finding American Hydroxycut in our stores lol... I wonder if the stores would get in trouble?

Wildcat
05-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Health Canada officials check out stores randomly, browsing supplements as customers. Items which are on the shelves and have ingredients which are explicitly banned result in a hefty fine. Grey area substances usually result in a warning.

rx7boi
05-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Awwww, I have one bottle left that I was gonna open and use.

:(