PDA

View Full Version : Massive routine overhaul

pattyt
05-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey everybody, im really looking for some insight on what kind of new routine i can start.

Background: 19, 6'3, ~185 pounds. I've been working out for about 1.5 years now and ive had some decent results, but nothing awe inspiring. Id blame school on most of my workout downfalls, but mostly its just because im lazy. Now that summer has begun, i have a solid 4 months off to really push it without any distractions. In the past i havent followed many routines, just did separate body parts on separate days, and it honestly didnt do much. Then i start the p90x workout, and it was great, but i just felt like i wasnt going to get any size gains out the workout, and with final exams rolling around i scraped it and hit the books.
But, now im finally done exams and ready to focus. Im looking for exercises that combine alot of body parts, like pullups, pushups, deadlifts (heard this is best for muscle gains). What i really want is to just get bigger and be able to fill out some shirts, bigger everything really.

Supplements: Protien, glutamine, fish oil **in need of help finding a good everyday multivitamin**.

I wouldnt say im a newbie or anything, i know how to do exercises and perform in the gym. I just need guidance on creating a good routine and really any suggestions are all helpful.

EDIT:::
Diet: i knew i forgot something, basically my diet consists of the average teenage diet. I do live with my parents, so i eat plenty of homecooked full of protein european dinners. Other than that im pretty shit on diet, i dont have breakfast most of the time, and probably only like 3 proper meals a day, and probably have fast foods 4 times a week.
BUT like i said, its time for a change, today i started out my day with 3 eggs, toast, and a fruit smoothie(with extra added protien).
Im really willing to commit to a good diet, and i REALLY have the time to do it now. Ive seen alot of the diets on here and BB.com, so im gonna start to put a plan together tonight and tommrow, but again any suggestions are welcome!!!

Goals: SIZE SIZE SIZE, and strength.

Thanks a million to everyone! (need any more details?).

GQBalla
05-02-2009, 04:05 PM
first thing first - post diet

pinoyhero
05-02-2009, 05:07 PM
1. Crossfit - give it your all for 3 months, you'll get the gains
2. Skip the supps for now and get your diet right
3. I'm taking AOR's multi basic, I also suggest a bit more C and D as well as a Fish Oil

davidI
05-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
first thing first - post diet

I was going to say the same. A lot of your gains are based on your diet.

Redlined_8000
05-02-2009, 05:39 PM
How much do you bench squat and deadlift? What is your primary goal - size, strength, cutting???

max_boost
05-02-2009, 05:46 PM
This: Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

5 workouts, squats, deads, bench, shoulder press, chin/pull ups.

Gain mass, gain strength, it's what you want.

Immediate gains (for me at least 5"5 150lbs)

In 3 weeks:

Bench: 80------->105
Squat: 105----->155
Deads: 115----->165
Press: 45-------->65

I take Carlson's fish oil, Borlean's flax oil and Usana essential vitamin & minerals. I can't stand whey so I drink chocolate milk. :drool: Hoping to max out my newbie gains. I've gained more in these past 3 weeks than I did in the 3 months using those isolation exercise machines at Talisman.

lint
05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
^^^^ I'll take the "noob"/novice gains on this program any day. After not lifting for > 5 years and being quite sedentary, I'm stronger now than I've ever been. In < 4 months:
squat 330 x5
deadlift 335 x5
bench 225x5
press 145x5

max_boost
05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
lint, what weights did you start at 4 months ago so we know how much your strength has improved by.

Also, the thing with this workout is, lint looks virtually the same as he did 4 months ago except now he's a lot stronger. Very deceiving haha

Darkane
05-02-2009, 09:13 PM
OP, if you want size we must get you into a 'consistent' calorie surplus.

More importantly they must be a clean source to minimize the fat. Furthermore if you desire we can Time them around the workout to further reduce the possible fat gain.

This should be your first task:

Use www.fitday.com and log everything you eat for 4 days, a week would be better.

What this will do is give you a baseline of your average caloric input for 7 days, and how your body responds to this level or caloric input.

If you're not gaining weight, simple. Up the calories.

Diet is crucial for natural, clean gains. Can't stress that enough.

lint
05-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
lint, what weights did you start at 4 months ago so we know how much your strength has improved by.

Also, the thing with this workout is, lint looks virtually the same as he did 4 months ago except now he's a lot stronger. Very deceiving haha

hmmm, good point. I'll need to check my log, but I started really light just the bar. first 2 weeks were getting back into the swing and working on the movements and technique. I started working with real weight in week 3 and by weeks 5 and 6 I was at:
squats 175 x5
bench 135 x5
dead 185 x5
press 100 x5

I added weight every workout with bigger jumps on squats and deads and was able to maintain linear progression on squats until mid march. After a couple of deloads, I've moved onto an advanced novice progression.