PDA

View Full Version : do people not understand school zones?

black13
05-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Don't drive 30kms at 6 pm when there isn't a single student in sight. School zone ends at 5 pm.

Don't drive 30kms ON A SAT/SUN cause those aren't school days.

Same shit with playground zones. It's 10 pm, I don't think any parent is gonna let their kid play outside at that time.

It's like some people completely zone out when driving that they don't pay the slightest attention to the speed limit and the times.

The end.

t_soarer
05-02-2009, 04:04 PM
True, notice that a lot. :nut:

badatusrnames
05-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I notice this a lot as well. But I'm also sick of getting effin' tailgated when I'm properly observing school and playground zones...

cloud7
05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
and then on the other side of the spectrum, there are idiots who don't slow down for school zones and playground zones at all. People are just so stupid!!!!:guns:

dj_rice
05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I do hate when people do that but adding 1-2 minutes to your drive isn't going to kill you, just deal with it, better safe than sorry and hit some kid

YamahaV8
05-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by black13
Same shit with playground zones. It's 10 pm, I don't think any parent is gonna let their kid play outside at that time.

I agree with you at this time but remember that playground zones are "an hour after sunset" which in the middle of summer can be past 10pm easily.

Mibz
05-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8

I agree with you at this time but remember that playground zones are "an hour after sunset" which in the middle of summer can be past 10pm easily. Actually tonight's sunset is 9:01pm, so yeah, we're already past the 10pm mark ;)

Nismorphed
05-02-2009, 05:01 PM
The worst is when your driving in a school zone doing 30kms in the day and someone passes you on the right. aka. 64th nw

Supa Dexta
05-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't understand why there are school zones... period..

Well a sign is ok, but not a speed reduction. How many kids get hit in edmonton each year? They only have a small percentage of school zones compared to calgary, and they get by... Are edmonton children smarter? faster?

Cos
05-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Nismorphed
The worst is when your driving in a school zone doing 30kms in the day and someone passes you on the right. aka. 64th nw

people do it in bridgeland all day long. Plus there are playground zones on either side so you dont usually get up to speed by the time you leave/enter the playground zone.

mobius
05-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
How many kids get hit in edmonton each year? They only have a small percentage of school zones compared to calgary, and they get by... Are edmonton children smarter? faster?

Yes, we just throw the deformed ones off of a cliff when they're born, the remaining ones know how to survive.

syeve
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I drive in lakeview quite a bit and I LOVE going 30 in the playground zone, I have had people try to pass me on the right and the left...I block them... My car turns quick.

Dumbass17
05-02-2009, 11:23 PM
school zones are 65km/hr aren't they?

SRT10Killer
05-02-2009, 11:50 PM
aint it 430 = school zone end

and playground is 1 hour after sunset

black13
05-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by YamahaV8

I agree with you at this time but remember that playground zones are "an hour after sunset" which in the middle of summer can be past 10pm easily.

That's another thing I find stupid. Why don't playground zone just end at sunset? Does it really take a kid an hour to get out of the zone to go home? And who the hell can keep track of sunset times to know how long it's been since sunset?

The whole thing is flawed, in the 6 months of the year when it's -20 or more outside, no sane person is outside playing.
Playground zones should just be put in effect when kids/people are actually around.

Yea everyone says 1 or 2 min extra is nothing but this all adds up to a trip. A simple trip down to the grocery store shouldn't take 15 min.

Moezer
05-03-2009, 12:35 AM
when a jack ass sticks his face up my cars ass all i do is slow down even more

berbatov
05-03-2009, 12:55 AM
lol, in europe and arabia kids are used to be moving targets, so they are fast and move the f outta the way

timmy, the slow kid here with add and a lazy eye, needs to be protected somehow :)

Cos
05-03-2009, 01:42 AM

That's another thing I find stupid. Why don't playground zone just end at sunset? Does it really take a kid an hour to get out of the zone to go home? And who the hell can keep track of sunset times to know how long it's been since sunset?

The whole thing is flawed, in the 6 months of the year when it's -20 or more outside, no sane person is outside playing.
Playground zones should just be put in effect when kids/people are actually around.

Yea everyone says 1 or 2 min extra is nothing but this all adds up to a trip. A simple trip down to the grocery store shouldn't take 15 min.

The idea is to allow it to get dark. If it said 8am until dark, the first sign of dusk and people would be mowing through playground zones.

Learned that when we did the CPS highschool thing at Heritage park 8 years ago.

Moezer
05-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Cos

The idea is to allow it to get dark. If it said 8am until dark, the first sign of dusk and people would be mowing through playground zones.

Learned that when we did the CPS highschool thing at Heritage park 8 years ago.

things change my friend lol:rofl:

Cos
05-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Moezer

things change my friend lol:rofl:

:dunno:

it still says until 1 hour after dusk so how does the meaning magically change?

Kennyredline
05-03-2009, 10:33 AM
This may be a thread hijack, but I've always thought a "playground" zone should have a fucking playground in it...like playground equipment an' shit. The most retarded playground zone I know of is the one along elbow drive that runs for half-a-mile west of 5st SW....thank god all the pathways in the city aren't bordered by playground zones.

Godfuader
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Playground and school zones

The playground zone speed limit is 30 km/h and is in effect from 8:30 a.m. until one hour after sunset. The school zone speed limit is 30 km/h and is in effect from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. every day school is in session. Remember that Calgary has some schools in session all year.
Passing is prohibited in playground zones and school zones, regardless of the speed of the other vehicle and may result in a $172 fine.
http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections/traffic/know.html

Zhariak
05-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Don't drive 30kms at 6 pm when there isn't a single student in sight. School zone ends at 5 pm.

Don't drive 30kms ON A SAT/SUN cause those aren't school days.

It's like some people completely zone out when driving that they don't pay the slightest attention to the speed limit and the times.

The end.

In my neighborhood, parents fly through the playground zones usually 60km/h. It's retarded...

These are the same people that yell at people who speed through when they aren't driving. It's a joke.

I've seen people fly through these playground zones doing up to 80km/h in my neighborhood. Pisses me off when they tail me when I'm doing the speed limit.

But yes, totally agree. I hate people that slow down on weekends and after-hours for school zones. AND playground zones after hours, like wtf?

YamahaV8
05-03-2009, 12:00 PM

I agree. It shouldn't be up to the driver to track sunset times every day. They should just make it a standard end time like 10pm or something and that way it would be indisputable.

TorqueDog
05-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Passing is prohibited in playground zones and school zones, regardless of the speed of the other vehicle and may result in a $172 fine. So if some ass is going 15 KM/H, you can't legally do 30 KM/H in the other lane? What the hell.

IMO, We have far too many playground zones. Like that one along Elbow Drive approaching 4th Street SW. What the fuck is that one all about?

realazy
05-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Just to add to the discussion, why are there playground zones by fenced off areas?

The whole damn playground has a chainlink fence around it, it's not like they can accidently run onto the road.

luv2ride_bikes
05-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Moezer
when a jack ass sticks his face up my cars ass all i do is slow down even more
I do this and also try to drive on the gravel on the side of the road to spray rocks at the moron behind me.

el_cap
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Anybody know what the speed margin for a ticket in a playground zone/school zone is? Not that I encourage speeding in them, but sometimes I might be doing 35km/h through there. :eek:

em2ab
05-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't think we have these zones where I grew up so when I pass one on a residential street sometimes I'll miss if it was school or playground and have to slow down anyway until I can see the "END XXX" sign to know which it was.
Could explain some of your frustration.

Tik-Tok
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
What's also fun is when they change them from a Playground zone to a School zone.

Since the dawn of time, there's been a playground zone near me, and one day they ripped out the playground (on school property), and now it's just a school zone.

Unfortunately, now all the old people in my area still think it's a playground, so even after 5pm, they'll still do 30km/h until an hour after sunset :facepalm:

Kozikman
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Arn't school zones usually within a playground zone? i mean theres usually a slide or a swing at schools

TYMSMNY
05-04-2009, 09:40 AM
You know, in the end it's really for the safety of the children. I still sometimes go through school zones if it's still around daylight as schools = playground and playground = kids.

What is it really costing you going 20km slower for a block?

em2ab
05-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
You know, in the end it's really for the safety of the children. I still sometimes go through school zones if it's still around daylight as schools = playground and playground = kids.

What is it really costing you going 20km slower for a block?
It's that people are altering their driving style and people behind them don't know why. It's why indicators are used, so people know why you're slowing down, they can anticipate what you're about to do. If you just slow down from 60-30 on a straight road for no reason, people are confused. Is there a big hole in the road, a deer nearby, are you having a heart attack?

scat19
05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by cloud7
and then on the other side of the spectrum, there are idiots who don't slow down for school zones and playground zones at all. People are just so stupid!!!!:guns:

They'll do 40 in a 50, but speed up a little to 45 in a 30!

I can't stand shitty drivers. It's way too easy to get a license.

Or people that are so oblivous to what is going on around them.

Mibz
05-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
What's also fun is when they change them from a Playground zone to a School zone.

Since the dawn of time, there's been a playground zone near me, and one day they ripped out the playground (on school property), and now it's just a school zone.

Unfortunately, now all the old people in my area still think it's a playground, so even after 5pm, they'll still do 30km/h until an hour after sunset :facepalm: There used to be a playground zone on Shawinigan Dr near Father Doucet but they took it out like two years ago when they started building a new school. I -still- have to honk at people who drive on auto-pilot thinking it's a playground zone.

CMW403
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
yeah this really bothers me. i was driving in one just the other day and like 4 cars were doing 30 at 6:30pm by the school. i weaved in and out spraying vtec EVERYWHERE.

TYMSMNY
05-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by em2ab

It's that people are altering their driving style and people behind them don't know why. It's why indicators are used, so people know why you're slowing down, they can anticipate what you're about to do. If you just slow down from 60-30 on a straight road for no reason, people are confused. Is there a big hole in the road, a deer nearby, are you having a heart attack?

I think brake lights are good indicators for slowing down. If you need to stomp on your own brakes, you need to either back off or pay attention. I think the best reason why you slowed that is that you're being cautious in an area where children are KNOWN to play around. What other reason should there be?

There was a comment above about people getting a ticket for overtaking someone in a playground/school zone even if they were going 30km. The reason for that is the person in front might have noticed something and slowing down for it etc.

One area known for speeding through playground zone is the one behind Chinook Mall there. Wowzers at the people going 60 through that area.

Aleks
05-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
This may be a thread hijack, but I've always thought a "playground" zone should have a fucking playground in it...like playground equipment an' shit. The most retarded playground zone I know of is the one along elbow drive that runs for half-a-mile west of 5st SW....thank god all the pathways in the city aren't bordered by playground zones.

I am guessing that that one was put in by the wealthy people lobbying the City. No reason why that should be 30km/h. And then it's 40km/h outside of the playground zone. Why is that??

Why not go all out make it 30 all the way through the wealthy zones in Calgary.

whiskas
05-04-2009, 01:23 PM
School and playground zones are fantastic for turning on cruise control and catching up on your text messages.

95EagleAWD
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
We have 3 school zones in Edmonton. I have no idea where they are, but I'm glad there is only 3 of them.

Kennyredline
05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
School and playground zones are fantastic for turning on cruise control and catching up on your text messages. :poosie:

reijo
05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
California has a better way - "25 mph when children present" ... otherwise carry on.

They should do the same thing with construction zones......60 kph or whatever "WHEN workers present"....instead of all winter when there is no one working on the overpass excepting the police handing out damned tickets!

Supa Dexta
05-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
We have 3 school zones in Edmonton. I have no idea where they are, but I'm glad there is only 3 of them.

Word... And I can't even remember the last time I saw photo radar... I only ever see cops out catching speeders... the way it should be... You guy's are getting hosed in calgary.

pinoyhero
05-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
I notice this a lot as well. But I'm also sick of getting effin' tailgated when I'm properly observing school and playground zones...

Agreed, slow the f down, its cool and all you want to drive fast so the fart can can roar but seriously

psycoticclown
05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Haha, this reminds me, we were hanging out by some school a few years back playing basketball or something and we saw a cop sitting there handing out tickets in the school zone. The school was located near the bottom of a hill. Anyways, we were having a water break and watching the cop when we see a biker on the street coming down the hill, now all the other cars slowed down, but the biker kept going at his speed, 35 or whatever. The biker is gaining on one of the cars and the cop shouts at the guy that if he passes that car, he's getting a ticket. Biker passed the car and cop chases him down to write him a ticket haha.