PDA

View Full Version : EX-35, RDX or another FX-35. Need some help

repncalgary
05-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi guys

I'm looking at purchasing a new car for the wife. Looking for a small crossover. Looked at the X3 and the GLK. The wife absolutely hates bmw interiors. Everytime she gets into my M3 she complains about it, and she finds the X3 worst. The ride comfort is absolutely terrible. She thinks the GLK is plain ugly, fair enough...

I'm down the the RDX, EX-35 and the FX-35 (yes i know its not a small crossover, I already own one).

She's not in love with the way the RDX and Ex-35 looks, some high points and some love points but she can live with them. She really loves the way the FX-35 looks but I really want to avoid owning two of the same vehicles...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with either the EX-35 or RDX? I'm not too concerned about reliability issues as these are hit and miss based on reporting bias. I'm really more concerned with day to day experiences.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

911fever
05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
EX-35 didn't impress me much. Barely any room at all, and they look weird. Wasn't great to drive.
The RDX isn't a bad vehicle, but it's overpriced.
What about the Lexus RX350/330? It's not too big, and they look alright and are super super reliable. Plus she'lll like the interior.

dj_rice
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
The EX35 prolli has the same trunk space as maybe the G37, it may look bigger but its not, but as stated above, do you have a set budget?Why not the MDX or even FX50?

repncalgary
05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
EX-35 didn't impress me much. Barely any room at all, and they look weird. Wasn't great to drive.
The RDX isn't a bad vehicle, but it's overpriced.
What about the Lexus RX350/330? It's not too big, and they look alright and are super super reliable. Plus she'lll like the interior.

She doesn't like the lexus simply because its had the same or similar shape for years and years. (correct me if i'm wrong on this one as I haven't really looked into it much).

What didnt you like about the EX in terms of driving? I haven't taken one out for a test drive yet but would be interested to know.

thanks!

repncalgary
05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
The EX35 prolli has the same trunk space as maybe the G37, it may look bigger but its not, but as stated above, do you have a set budget?Why not the MDX or even FX50?

We dont really have a set budget but I don't really want to go too overboard (i.e Porsche or anything along those lines).

We checked out the Audi Q5 and we're not happy with the level of service at Audi. We waited in the showroom for about 30 minutes before anyone approached us (nobody was busy, the salesman were just talking amongst themselves) and when they did they treated us like trash. I've had that experience at several Audi dealership and as a result i'm not willing to purchase one of their cars.

She finds the MDX way too big, we're hoping to limit it to a small crossover, only reason we're considering another FX is because she really likes the way it looks.

FX50 is also not really an option, she won't appreciate the extra power and its not gonna feel faster or driver better then my M3 so we'd just be wasting money on fuel.

thanks!

psycoticclown
05-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Personally, I think the EX35 is a great car, priced well and an amazing interior too. Drives a lot similar to the G35. Only thing is room, not that much trunk space or interior room, but that's about the only caveat I see.

dj_rice
05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
So it has to be a luxury SUV crossover right?Have you checked out Mitsubishi

nj2Type-S
05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
here's my reply to a previous thread:

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i picked up a 2008 RDX with tech last summer (i wanted a g35 sedan but the wife wanted the RDX...bahh!). anyway...

basic pros:

- i like how it looks (it's preference but i personally like it. i own a white one)
- easy to use navigation package
- can be fun if in sport mode
- has a solid feel to it
- decent sound system
- SH-AWD!

basic cons:

- fuel consumption is terrible
- turbo lag is amazingly annoying and disappointing
- yes, it's basically a chick car....LOL..but it'll be my wife's car soo it's ok
- automatic transmission needs work

overall, i think the rdx is an ok crossover. it definitely doesn't have a huge interior like other suvs do but it's comfortable enough for our needs. i looked at the x3, ex35 and a 2005+ fx35 before deciding on the rdx.

the rdx w/ tech costs around 46k while the x3 w/ the nav costs wayy more than that. the ex35 - - let's face it...it's a STATION WAGON. the only other suv that i had considered was the 1st gen fx35 but sadly, the interior space in the fx35 felt much, much smaller compared to the rdx's interior.

some may say that the rdx is underpowered (240hp / 260lb-ft of torque) but i think it's just the transmission. i have a blast driving it in sport mode but i have to remember that it's VERY thirsty.

if i were to go back in time and pick up a smaller suv, i would probably pick up the rdx again...but that's because of the lack of variety to choose from.

link to said thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/247427/acura-rdx/

nj2Type-S
05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
So it has to be a luxury SUV crossover right?Have you checked out Mitsubishi

OP, if you do look into a mitsubishi, my godfather works at platinum so PM me if interested.

pinoyhero
05-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Kinda went through the same and just picked up an RX350 overall it trumped the FX, GLK, Q5 and MDX for me

Redlyne_mr2
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Kinda went through the same and just picked up an RX350 overall it trumped the FX, GLK, Q5 and MDX for me

:werd: Your new RX is super nice. :D

///328is
05-12-2009, 08:53 PM
ex 35 ftw!:hitit:

spacerz
05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
i dont know if you ll be interested, but wondering if you might consider the BMW x6!? i think they look kinda hot! but personal preference i guess.:dunno:

Aleks
05-12-2009, 09:39 PM
EX35 has less leg room than the Mini Cooper in the back. If that's not a concern than go for it.

Ed the SOHC
05-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I would have your wife test drive both cars (if you haven't already done so). I found the turbo lag on the RDX annoying. The Mazda CX-7 was more peppy IMO. Because of this, I would pick the EX.

Personally, my wife and I went through something similar but it was MDX vs RX330. It was mainly for my wife and she ended up liking the Murano over both those cars (after she got over the Murano's looks and test drove the car). She couldn't get over the smooth CVT. For her, it was about the smooth ride over looks and power. :dunno: