PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra Frames rusting out too!!

MoDo27
05-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Not just the Tacomas that were breaking in half.

Fucking toyota junk !!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/19294250/detail.html

Beware if you own one of these rust buckets

Graham_A_M
05-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Oh but those rusted frames are of the highest quality:rolleyes:

VetteRacin
05-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Probably a case of the area using alot of salt during the winter.

911fever
05-03-2009, 09:51 AM
yeah it's brutal, lots of rusted Tundra's and Tacoma's here in Ontario.

Cos
05-03-2009, 09:55 AM
wow am I ever glad I didnt buy a tundra. That sucks, what a long way Toyota has fallen.

My 1982 Celica rusted out so bad that it couldnt be fixed however it was 21 years old by that point.

TYMSMNY
05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
at least they are accepting responsibility and fixing the issue. It must be the amount of salt you guys use in Ontario.

"Toyota agreed --- and offered buyback deals for one-and-a-half times the vehicle's Blue Book value."

MoDo27
05-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
at least they are accepting responsibility and fixing the issue. It must be the amount of salt you guys use in Ontario.

"Toyota agreed --- and offered buyback deals for one-and-a-half times the vehicle's Blue Book value."

It costs millions less to buy the trucks back than it would to have to settle in court after the rust causes accidents and deaths. (usually a minimum of $5 million per)

Its also just coming to light that Toyota routinely fixes EXTRA things on their cars when in for service and nothing is said to the owner. Call them silent recalls...

Ask any Toyota tech.

Their quality rep is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

ALSO if you own any Toyota that utilizes a full frame I would have it checked out, because its just a matter of time IMO

TorqueDog
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
at least they are accepting responsibility and fixing the issue.That cop-out has NEVER worked for any domestic manufacturer, why should it work now?

canuckcarguy
05-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Nope, that's on the Tacomas. They haven't announced a similar program on the Tundras, which was kind of the point of the article..

Sasuke_Kensai
05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
That cop-out has NEVER worked for any domestic manufacturer, why should it work now?

No mere mortal could have reasonably foreseen the problem. It's a Japanese company with the highest quality mandate, so it's OBVIOUSLY just a random blip on their otherwise immaculate record. Along with those other blips here, there, and over there.

TYMSMNY
05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, personal experience with 1 Rav4 and 2 2003+ 4runners, and nothing has jumped out at me saying "RED LIGHT ON QUALITY". If they are having rust issues on their truck frames, I should have the 4runner looked at.

Where were those Tacos built?

BlackArcher101
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Those pictures don't seem too bad. Look like normal rust after 9 years of driving in a corrosive environment. My '01 Chevy looked worse.

Caramel Coffee
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
toyota/honda is rusty peice of junk = Headline of the century! Idiots....

thetransporter
05-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I dont get it, these are 10 year old trucks in east coast conditions with probably road salt?

Then again these are lazy americans, too lazy to wash underneath their vehicles at the car wash.

I always wash underneath my vehicle at the car wash, the other guy behind me asked "why are you washing underneath your car, you are taking too long" , i said don't you wash your ass when you take a bath?!?

I always wash underneath my vehicle at the car wash, the other guy behind me asked "why are you washing underneath your car, you are taking too long" , i said don't you wash your ass when you take a bath?!?

heavyD
05-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Rust is pretty normal in easern Canada and USA but the frame is pretty thick metal and for it to perforate like that in less than 10 years is not normal.

canuckcarguy
05-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

Then again these are lazy americans, too lazy to wash underneath their vehicles at the car wash.

Yep, it's all the American's fault.:rolleyes: Was the person behind you at the carwash American, or just a member of some other group you make baseless and silly generalizations about?

And the "washing your ass" ANALogy is just stupid. What, do you wash your ass with a high pressure soap wand? Actually, don't answer that.

BlackArcher101
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Rust is pretty normal in easern Canada and USA but the frame is pretty thick metal and for it to perforate like that in less than 10 years is not normal.

Are there actually perforations in the example shown?

chkolny541
05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Team 5 Investigates discovered more than two dozen complaints about 2000 and 2001 Tundras filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

O NO!, not over 2 dozen!! toyota better have a massive recall in order

MoDo27
05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Find me 24 Ford, Dodge or Chevy Trucks that break in half with under 100K miles and I will delete the post.

Actually, pull a 1960's Chevy, Ford or Dodge truck out of a swamp that its been parked in for 20 years and we will see if it breaks in half as a consolation prize.

You ToyoFags are something else...

corsvette
05-04-2009, 06:24 PM
When i tell people our 97 Chev farm truck has over 550,000kms they say "well how many engines have you gone through" they are allways suprised when i say its original,i dont even have to worry about timing belts to KEEP it running!

Supa Dexta
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Exactly, there's still 20+ yr old rigs running around back east, sure the body gets holes in it, but thick metal like frames don't generally.. Chinese junk steel.

Redlyne_mr2
05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by MoDo27
Find me 24 Ford, Dodge or Chevy Trucks that break in half with under 100K miles and I will delete the post.

Actually, pull a 1960's Chevy, Ford or Dodge truck out of a swamp that its been parked in for 20 years and we will see if it breaks in half as a consolation prize.

It's fine that you clutter the board with your pro-domestic views but grow up a bit and stop insulting people who don't share your opinion. Forget the fact that the Tundra has always been built in the US, there are problematic domestics out there just like there are problematic imports.

TYMSMNY
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Wow.... just wow....

I'm assuming he drives a big pick up truck to show how macho he is.

BokCh0y
05-05-2009, 11:56 AM

:rolleyes: :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Like JRSC00LUDE responded in one of your posts:

"I keep trying to convince myself that not everyone from ontario is an idiot, stop making it difficult."

Projek01
06-16-2009, 09:56 PM
well toyota will either buy them back or swap the frame if you want. the reason why this is happening because toyota sourced their frames from an american company named Dana. this isnt the first time toyota has been screwed over with north american parts sourcing. made in japan FTW

Nissanaddict
06-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Rust, but as mentioned, no perforation. To be fair though, I owned 2 240sxs (we know on Beyond how well those frames hold up). Both 92s, made it to 12 and 13 years old respectively under my ownership. First one was as far as I know an Alberta only car, second one, an Ontario. They were both in bad shape framewise, the 2nd one considerably worse, but were 10 year old sports cars. Pretty rough to have a truck break in half after under a decade.

rockanrepublic
06-17-2009, 01:07 AM
both my 80's toyotas frames are 100% rust free ones at 200,000 clicks:dunno:

heavyD
06-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Projek01
well toyota will either buy them back or swap the frame if you want. the reason why this is happening because toyota sourced their frames from an american company named Dana. this isnt the first time toyota has been screwed over with north american parts sourcing. made in japan FTW

LOL

Projek01
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
^ yes, i am a toyota fanboy.... i havent driven anything besides a toyota in my life. yeah, i would be scared to buy a toyota truck now.

Sugarphreak
06-17-2009, 12:39 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
06-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I've seen a 2001 tundra from quebec that didnt have that level of rust.

Who knows maybe they never washed it, or the states never got proper frame coating.

skylinegtr20
06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I am a Toyota tech, I have never done what you would like to call "silent recalls". I have done all the recalls... trust me. You truly are speaking out of your ass.

And to stay on subject with this thread.... To this day I have YET to see a rusted Tundra frame. Older Taco's and 4Runners yes... but no tundra's.

Side note: That tundra pictured does not have undercoating which Toyota HIGHLY recommends, vehicle is likely in a region that uses a very high salt content on there roads, and most likely isn't properly maintained ... I.E. occasional winter car washes.

It costs millions less to buy the trucks back than it would to have to settle in court after the rust causes accidents and deaths. (usually a minimum of $5 million per)

Its also just coming to light that Toyota routinely fixes EXTRA things on their cars when in for service and nothing is said to the owner. Call them silent recalls...

Ask any Toyota tech.

Their quality rep is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

ALSO if you own any Toyota that utilizes a full frame I would have it checked out, because its just a matter of time IMO

VeilOctane
06-17-2009, 01:20 PM
por 15 will fix it

http://www.por15canada.com/can/p15toons.htm