PDA

View Full Version : Quick Subwoofer Amp Crossover Question.

nobb
05-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I have a 4 channel Pioneer amp right now. It has a fixed crossover of 80hz at 12db/octave slope. I want to power 4 speakers with this amp and setting the crossover to high pass mode. I am looking to get an Alpine amp (or maybe another) to power my subwoofer (low pass mode), but I noticed the specs for this amp has a crossover slope of 24db/octave.

So my question is, is it ok to mix an amp with a 12db/octave high pass slope with an amp with a 24db/octave low pass slope? Or should I look for a mono amp with 12db/octave to match?

Graham_A_M
05-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Dont worry about it. Seriously.

Obviously a 24db/octave slope is much more steep then an 18 or a 12db/octave slope.

Basically with the slopes: Typically the more gradual of a slope (as in a 6db/octave) the more frequency overlap there will be between lets say the full range speakers versus the subwoofer.

The thing that'll happen in your case, is that your speakers will produce more bass then they would if your amp had a 24db/slope, just because of the gradual nature of the crossover type. Thats perfectly fine, as 80hz isn't very low, and that'll make for a nice gradual cut off.

The thing you'll experience with the sub amp, is that there will be a sharper cut off (and thus more noticable) towards the upper limit to its low frequency selection. Thats all.

Its nothing to worry about, and no nothing will be harmed or affected in any way.

nobb
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Yea that's what I suspected. I was just wondering if there would be any audible difference, or any noticeable negative effects on sound quality.

Graham_A_M
05-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Audible? slightly not much but it would be there,
sound quality? even less noticibly so, but definately not in a car audio environment.

There is a LOT to know about the differenciation between different cross over slopes and their effect on the (sound)dispersion pattern of the speaker, but those are more based on tweeters and full range speakers. Bass is very omni-polar, so the choice of slope mainly depicts what I've mentioned.