PDA

View Full Version : Help w/routine, and forearm issue

ShelbyMopar
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,

Need some help with my workout, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, but I'm at a plateua and can't seem to break it.

Goal: would like to hit 185 lbs, still maintain the tone that I'm at and not look fat. Just get a little bit bigger in the upper body.

Stats:

5'9
178 lbs

Workout routine:

Day 1 and 3: Chest, shoulders, back

Bar flat bench: 275 lbs, 3 sets of 4-6. On a good day, I'll hit 300 for 2-3 reps, but usually 275-285 is what I sit at.
Dumbell flat bench: 75lbs, 3 sets of 8-10
Dumbell row: 100lbs @ 3 sets of 10
Seated row: 250 lbs @ 3 sets of 10
Shoulder press: 60 lbs @ 3 sets of 6-8
Lat pulldowns: 220 lbs @ 2-3 sets of 6-8
Sit-in pec machine: 160lbs @ 2-3 sets of 8
Chest press machine: 265lbs @ 3 sets of 6-8
Back hyperextension + 45lbs: 3 sets of 6-8

Day 2 and 4: Bi's, tri's and forearms

Standing Dumbell curls: 55 lbs, 3 sets of 6-8
Standing Dumbell curl w/twist raise: 60 lbs, 3 sets of 6-8
Dumbell tricep extensions: 55lbs, 3 sets 10-12
Dumbell tricep raises from chest: 50 lbs, 3 sets of 8-10
Close grip chin ups: 2 sets of 10-12
Preacher curl: 2-3 sets of 85 lbs
Forearm rope-bar twist, 22.5 lbs, 3 sets (raising and lowering once = one set)
Seated dumbell curl: 55lbs, 2-3 sets of 4-6 depending on tiredness

Day 5: Legs + stomach

Abs is a mixture of machines, crunchees, etc. so its hard to get into detail

Legs:

Honestly, I just use the machines that are there at the gym (leg press, calf raises, etc) and do squats w/1 plate on each side (yeah, legs are not strong), and lunges w/ 45's in each hand.

My leg routine sucks, thats probably where I could build the muscle alone. I just focus mostly on upper body and keep the legs in decent enough shape with sports and a mixture of weights.

Usually I mix ab/oblique workouts into each of my routines, just didn't feel like typing them out.

Supplements:

Only taking whey protein isolate, pretty much every day in shakes w/ banana's, strawberries, etc.

Diet:

I honestly don't have that strict of a diet. I eat what I feel like, other than junk food, no chocolate, chips, etc.

My calorie intake is usually around 4000-4500 per day. Protein I'm getting 150-250g a day depending on what I've eaten obviously...

Feel free to critique.

Also, I have a serious problem with my forearms. I don't know what the hell is causing it, but they hurt like a BITCH when I'm doing anything within days, even up to weeks of my bi/tri/forearm routine.

Buts its not the muscle, its the bone on the inside that hurts. My muscles don't even hardly get sore anymore, but the forearm bone pain is almost too much to fight through sometimes.

Any ideas whats causing this? Anyone else have this?

Theres a few guys on here that seem to be in the know, might be able to help me out a bit here.

Here's some pictures for reference of what I'm sitting at for weight/body style, tried to get some of the back but doesn't work so well without another person.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/DaytonaDan/newstuff004.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/DaytonaDan/newstuff006.jpg

pinoyhero
05-03-2009, 07:59 PM
You look in decent shape bud, here's where I'd start ...

1. Routine

Skip arms day, hell skip arms altogether, don't be afraid of loosing your guns. Get a solid routine, like starting strength going that will get you better proportioned with exercises like deads, squats etc. Either that or give crossfit a shot for a 3 month stint, I'm a huge fan. This will get you out of your glut.

2. Diet

Get it right, eat clean and big if you're trying to gain size. I eat paleo and I find it keeps me feeling good and at a relatively low body fat %. Skip the supps, only go there if you absolutely can't get what you require out of regular food.

Cardio?

Darkane
05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Hmm, dude you got a killer base! If you're that cut (8-10%) without caring much about your diet you could be a force alright!

Fuck, damn you and your genetics :D

If your forearms hurt, don't do them. Don't do anything to aggravate them. It sounds like you could have Ulnar Inflammation.

I don't know what to say right now, I'm pissed off at your genetics lol. Clean or assisted?

max_boost
05-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Hmm, dude you got a killer base! If you're that cut (8-10%) without caring much about your diet you could be a force alright!

Fuck, damn you and your genetics :D

If your forearms hurt, don't do them. Don't do anything to aggravate them. It sounds like you could have Ulnar Inflammation.

I don't know what to say right now, I'm pissed off at your genetics lol. Clean or assisted?

No doubt man.

OP, looking good man. I don't think anyone is going mistaken you for being fat. lol

ShelbyMopar
05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
lol I didn't mean I look fat now, I mean I want to make sure I don't get fat to get that last 7 lbs if you get my drift haha.

@ Pinoy:

I really don't want to skip arms lol. I'm gonna lighten up on them a fair bit though, because after reading some of what Darkane said, I think I might be developing a pretty serious problem in my forearms.

I like to think that I eat VERY close to Paleo diet actually. Lot of natural food, rarely ever eat beef at all (my family hunts, so I get tons of moose meat/deer meat for free), and sometimes eat domesticated chicken. But yeah, hardly any foods that are overly processed, RARELY any fast food, usually if I do its at a place like EDO, etc. I eat whenever I'm hungry, and don't follow a super strict diet.

For cardio, I don't do much. Actually, almost never. Like maybe once every couple weeks lol, run for a half hour or jump on elliptical/bike for a bit.

@ Darkane

haha thanks man. I want to get into some kickboxing classes or fighting classes for fun.

About the Ulnar inflammation, I think you are pretty much right on the money.

I googled a few things, and here is what I came up with, which sounds exactly what I'm experiencing:

About six years ago I was doing some EZ's, during a gym session, and as I lowered the weight I felt a pain in my left forearm. I stopped immediately for that session but (being 20 at the time) I carried on with my workouts and boxing even though the pain was constantly there. It got so bad that I couldn't even shadow box (punch air). So I took a little time off (3 months).

On return to working out I was able to workout (and do biceps) but always felt the pain in my forearm. I've been back working out for 5 months now after a 2 year break. When doing biceps the pain still occurs. I feel the pain during both upward and downward motions but the pain is very bad when I release my grip. I have to release my grip very very slowly to minimize the pain. The pain is located at the MIDDLE point between my elbow and wrist in my left forearm, on the ulna (the under forearm bone). If the problem isn't in the bone it is for sure running along it. If I were to grab my left buttock with my left hand and squeeze with my two little fingers it will cause the pain to occur. I have full range of motion in my fingers, wrist, elbow and shoulder. I have heard it may be tendonitus or a stress fracture. I haven't seen a doc.

It sounds the exact same. Kind of worried actually, I'm gonna go easier on the arm workout and do alot of stretching, massage work and RubA535 so that I can try to get the pain to go away.

Oh, and my lifts are all clean if thats what your asking lol. Sometimes on the last couple reps of curls I'll get a spot to help if I'm having a rough day, and on bench @300 I need a good spot to balance the bar out the odd time. They don't have to help lift, but sometimes I don't push equally and end up throwing the balance off a bit. If I don't have a good spot, I don't get confident enough to lift it lol

CMW403
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
i think darkane meant if you've done a cycle of steroids not if you need a spot sometimes lol

pinoyhero
05-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Well keep up what you're doing bud, lookin damn good. Make some changes see if you can get to that next level ... seriously though ... skip arms day ;)

ShelbyMopar
05-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by CMW403
i think darkane meant if you've done a cycle of steroids not if you need a spot sometimes lol

Oh lol... eff that noise. No roids, ever. Period.

I've taken a rest the last 5 days, have just been doing light boring stuff at home to give the forearms a break. Not to mention trapped away from the gym right now :guns:

I was hoping for some more in detail routine ideas about how to get that last 6-7 lbs haha, but yeah, I will try and switch it up at the gym a little bit and see if I can get there.

Darkane
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ShelbyMopar

Oh lol... eff that noise. No roids, ever. Period.

I've taken a rest the last 5 days, have just been doing light boring stuff at home to give the forearms a break. Not to mention trapped away from the gym right now :guns:

I was hoping for some more in detail routine ideas about how to get that last 6-7 lbs haha, but yeah, I will try and switch it up at the gym a little bit and see if I can get there.

Yes, avoid EVERYTHING that aggravates the forearms.

Taking a couple weeks off isn't a bad idea actually. You can still hammer legs and some other stuff. You'll get a training effect still.

Take out all curls and try Chin up/pull up variations. Another thing for arms are rows. They hit them hard.

Seated rows with a pronated grip (least strain on the forearms) is also good. Pronated is palms away from you. Supinated is palms toward.

So doing a chin up palms toward, is supinated. Pull up, palms out is pronated.

TurboD
05-06-2009, 11:41 PM
as mentioned, very impressive build, that would be my goal look i think.

cut as shit

ShelbyMopar
05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
lol thanks man.

Doing what you guys have said, I'm going very light on the arms and heavier on the chest/shoulders/back/legs/abs.

Still doing pull ups, still doing some curls (same weight, less sets), doing pronated grip rows, etc.

Hopefully the forearm pain goes away, it seems to be getting MUCH better actually. I can still feel the pain at the gym after a workout, but its not even remotely close to what it was. Rub A535 every night and ice massaging every other day, definitely helping loosen things up in there :D

lol @ dude at the gym today though:

"Man, did you get attacked my a lawnmower or something?!"

Me: "Uhh... what?"

"Cause your fucking cut!"

haha never heard that line before :rofl:

mdeluxe
05-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Just to critique your routine...

I suggest focusing more on the legs, where you gain the most. And also, 3 sets dont really cut it anymore... the 3rd set is either going to be your max or close to it. I suggest 4-5 sets an exercise.

my two cents.

edit: where are you training at?

ShelbyMopar
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by mdeluxe
Just to critique your routine...

I suggest focusing more on the legs, where you gain the most. And also, 3 sets dont really cut it anymore... the 3rd set is either going to be your max or close to it. I suggest 4-5 sets an exercise.

my two cents.

edit: where are you training at?

Yeah, giving legs more of a workout lately. Hitting them up 2-3 times a week, upper body 2-3 times a week, Just cycling the days.

Week 1 (2 upper body sessions, 3 legs)

Week 2 (3 upper body sessions, 2 legs)

I don't train in Calgary anymore unfortunately, but will be moving back there mid summer. I was working out at Trico centre in the SE there.

sabad66
05-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I have the same thing with my forearms, it could also be tennis elbow (unless ulnar inflammation is the science name for tennis elbow). Basically any time I do preacher curls or even throw a football around too hard it hurts really bad. Once I really aggrevate it, I have to take a break for 3-5 days because anything makes it hurt (even spotting someone on the bench).

I'm pretty sure there is no way to fix it, and all you can do really is just live with it and work around it, but hopefully someone can correct me on that one.

B69
05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
My right forearm used to kill me when I was working out. Massages and acupuncture did help a lot but it turns out I had a pinched Alner nerve.