PDA

View Full Version : Why did whites get ahead?

Supa Dexta
05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Just started thinking of this today... Why do you think whites got ahead in the world originally? How did we get to be the ones to go out and conquer lands and get slaves, and invent/create...etc so much stuff?

I would assume it wasn't a numbers game, I would think we were out numbered, since theres a billion chinese and a billion indians.. etc... Unless they just came around the last number of years..

thoughts? :dunno:

narou
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
We were all dishonest sneaky self righteous bastards.

sr20s14zenki
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by narou
We were all dishonest sneaky self righteous bastards.

BINGO!!!!!!

Look at the terrible things we have done in our past, lol, its disgusting.

godlovesugly
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
as a race, whites are more alpha.

badatusrnames
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Read this book, it explains it all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_germs_and_steel

pinoyhero
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
^Beat me to it, but damn thats a slow read.

badatusrnames
05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
^Beat me to it, but damn thats a slow read.

Yeah, it really started to drag along after a while...

OH-EIGHT
05-03-2009, 08:30 PM
i've always wondered this cause from what i know, the muslims were quite a bit ahead of the europeans at one point in history?

kdwebber
05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I am going to assume you are referring to the Roman empire and the Macedonians/Greeks. Hitler, Napoleon, USSR and Stalin etc and finally the British empire and the Americans. Mostly white you could argue.

The Persian empire was vast and expansive and you can't forget about the Mongol empire among others.

I think you are right though. If you look at the European colonization of the Americas, Africa, and Asia to an extent, we tend to be very controlling and always impose our religion, culture, and economic systems on the inhabitants of the land we colonize.

However I see this trend changing with the power balance switching back to the East with the emergence of China as a superpower along with the staggering growth of India.

Maybe its genetics, maybe we are simply the products of our environment who knows, good question though.

Supa Dexta
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
But even further back... I wonder why we got out of the jungles and started developing faster then others.. Tools, weapons, technology, it all started snow balling for us it seems. And once that started, it just kept growing.. And don't get me wrong, I don't think we're better or smarter nowadays...

ICEBERG
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
At first glance I thought this post was about whites getting more head....:D :rofl: :rofl:

godlovesugly
05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
At first glance I thought this post was about whites getting more head....:D :rofl: :rofl:

They do

CUG
05-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I like being white, I'm not gonna lie.

KRyn
05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by CUG

Word cracker.

CUG
05-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Word cracker. No crack here sir :D

(You're mad at me for saying that, I'm almost sure of it)

godlovesugly
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
michael jackson changed his skin color to white. show me where the opposite happened

wite is tite y'all

CUG
05-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by godlovesugly
michael jackson changed his skin color to white. show me where the opposite happened

wite is tite y'all You're kidding. Wi**ers? Remember them? Didn't you have the white gangbanger rappers in high school?

top_speed
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
michael jackson acts white. show me where the opposite happened

wite is tite y'all

BW1qBjQoNt0&feature=PlayList&p=A20CD7A48E5A1461&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ppq5soU-U
xtxz3jxdC1k
FyhjLQcNrTY&feature=related
GsoeXnQFzvg&feature=related

EDIT:CUG beat me to it/

pf0sh0
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by CUG

I like being asian specifically Flip, it is a good medium and a good hue.

yue
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
i think it has to do with a combination of religion and politics at the time. i would imagine that the guise of spreading the word of god and taming the "savages" rallied public support. the ethnocentric mentality of europeans, is to me, their greatest weakness.

i'm not a history major so i can't provide specific arguments, just speculation.

ragu
05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by CUG

I love being brown, saves me money on tanning.

Fuck there you go, my cheap genes come into play again.

CUG
05-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by ragu

I love being brown, saves me money on tanning.

Fuck there you go, my cheap genes come into play again. My Trini ex used to tan all the time.. I never figured that out ever.

Edit: She also has tan lines on her boobz

ekguy
05-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I also love that I'm white. But people make me feel like a racist for being happy for being white...

Aniki
05-03-2009, 10:37 PM
to get back on topic.. white's got ahead purely because of geography.

i'll probably ramble trying to elaborate on that but that was a topic that was brought up in a geography class i took @ mrc.

Hakkola
05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Aniki
to get back on topic.. white's got ahead purely because of geography.

I was about to post the same thing. :werd:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4862&print=1

JEFFRIX
05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
March 10, 1940

Thomas Gabriel
05-03-2009, 10:45 PM
It's because we'd rather die standing than live on our knees.

Kloubek
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Didn't read the article, but I think it was two main factors:
1) Religion. When you have a group who don't mind killing in mass because they are following what they believe to be right for their religion, it turns the tables quite a bit.
2) Technology. If you're using crossbows, longswords, and armour, it's tough for a guy with a sling to take you down.

ChappedLips
05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Our pasty white skin blinded our enemies so we could kill them and take their land

bspot
05-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Is it possible that people that migrated from Africa to colder climates had to evolve more intellectually to survive the tough climate?

Where as people that stayed in Africa had to compete against a lot of crazy predators, so they evolved to be better athletes? Stronger, faster etc.

Not trying to be racist with these ideas at all, but I've always been curious. Obviously intellect has been favored for a long time, so I think it's evened out, and I'm not saying whites are smarter now or anything, but maybe people that were white (because they lived somewhere cold) had a head start?

Kavy
05-03-2009, 11:32 PM
About 2 posts in I thought this was serious :)

Im half German half Dominican. Half of me wants to kick my other halfs ass, cause one half stole the other halfs sneakers.

Antonito
05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Seriously, read this book. It's worth it even with how godamn fucking long/dry it is

As far as being happy to be white, I'm a lot happier to be in a 1st world country than to be white. Talking to a lot of Eastern European immigrants from the Soviet era, being white didn't do much for them when they were on the wrong side of the power equation.

berbatov
05-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Antonito
Talking to a lot of Eastern European immigrants from the Soviet era, being white didn't do much for them when they were on the wrong side of the power equation.

You talked to the nobodies. Talk to the leaders and you will get the exact opposite.

Godfuader
05-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Civilization domination comes in waves. The problem lies in the fact that western education predominantly explores Euro-centric domains. There have been centuries that were ruled by various "non-white" empires. It has been documented that the Muslims were intellectually more advanced than the Europeans. The orient had great skillful empires as well. Everyone gets their turn at the top. The US was dominant after the World Wars for 50+ years...but that is switching to China, and followed very closely by India.

wite is tite y'all
There is a reason why tanning salons are one of the most profitable services in the western world. ;)

sputnik
05-04-2009, 07:46 AM
The problem with the Arab race was that pre-Islam it was a very strong and controlling empire. The civilization was VERY advanced compared to the European and Jewish races at the time. Their armies and leadership was VERY strong and had a commanding hold on world power (especially in Asia following the fall of the Greeks and Romans).

Unfortunately once Islam was established (~600 AD) the Arab races were divided into MANY different religious sects and tribes. As a result they started fighting amongst themselves which directly hindered their ability to gain any more power and distracted them from becoming more technologically advanced.

calgarydub
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

syeve
05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Not to get to touchy...but I hate grouping "whites" together. I am Danish, I may look like Germans, English, whoever but I ain't. I'm proud of my background, and I hate it when people say, "the white man ruined my culture, blah blah" I didn't ruin shit and neither did any of my Danish forefathers. Do brown people like to be bunched together with Lebs, pakistani, Indian etc?

Anyways...continue.

BigMass
05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
this is why
http://www.tustinmagazine.com/arnold_cigar.jpg

Alterac
05-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Cause we are all Austrian Roidmonkeys?

I see your Arnold, and raise you:
http://hitdawall.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/sylvester-stallone1.jpg

and

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/10/26/rambo.jpg

Anyways to add to the actual topic.... its cause everyone is afraid someone is going to hitler their asses.

Plus im sure whites stole a ton of inventions/innovations from others and took the credit.

Rstar
05-05-2009, 08:35 AM
First to have organized agriculture so they didn't have to spend all day hunting and gathering.

Guns, Germs, and Steel is actually really easy to read through.

bashir26
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
The problem with the Arab race was that pre-Islam it was a very strong and controlling empire. The civilization was VERY advanced compared to the European and Jewish races at the time. Their armies and leadership was VERY strong and had a commanding hold on world power (especially in Asia following the fall of the Greeks and Romans).

Unfortunately once Islam was established (~600 AD) the Arab races were divided into MANY different religious sects and tribes. As a result they started fighting amongst themselves which directly hindered their ability to gain any more power and distracted them from becoming more technologically advanced.

You got your time-line backwards buddy.

dandia89
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

You got your time-line backwards buddy.
I was about to say!

Antonito
05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by berbatov

You talked to the nobodies. Talk to the leaders and you will get the exact opposite.

Indeed. Of course, it'd be hard to find the rulers of any country of any color that aren't pretty happy with being able to do whatever the fuck they want :nut:

01RedDX
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Legless_Marine2
05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

I havn't read GGS, but I believe the Germs part borrows a fair bit from Mcneil's "Plagues and Peoples."

PnP proposes that European dominance is a function of Europeans being disease-hardened due to being in contact with so many other peoples. Looking back, the same should apply to central asia, but it was a long time since I read the book.

Eleanor
05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Because we're clearly a vastly superior race in every aspect? :devil: :D

Goggles_McGee
05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Because we're clearly a vastly superior race in every aspect? :devil: :D

:werd:

randedge
05-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Since no one here reads, HERE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgnmT-Y_rGQ

There's 18 parts. Watch all!!

Dr. Jared Diamond also makes an unflattering assessment of our first world culture.

From the book:

Modern European and American children spend much of their time being passively entertained by television, radio, and movies...In contrast, traditional New Guinea children have virtually no such opportunities for passive entertainment and instead spend almost all of their waking hours actively doing something, such as talking of playing with other children or adults. Almost all studies of child development emphasize the role of childhood stimulation and activity in promoting mental development, and stress the irreversible mental stunting associated with reduced childhood stimulation. This effect surely contributes a non-genetic component to the superior average mental functioning by New Guineans.

He doesn't touch upon video games however. Wasn't there an article that said basically that video games had a more positive effect in development?

He then also goes on to touch on the specialized aspect of our livelihoods in an industrialized culture. That in a similar aspect, it actually requires less intelligence to operate here than in the wild. It is more a matter of memorization instead of problem solving. If you think about it, it makes a bit of sense. Yeah we have technology. But did YOU have anything to do with it?

Diamond, Jared M., (1997). Guns, Germs, and Steel. New York, NY: Norton

turbotrip
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Haha whoever taught u that was awfully confused

crez
05-10-2009, 10:50 PM
In a generalization, who says whites are ahead? What would happen right now if China wants to say anything about that?

dubol
05-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Chinese were really self-reliant and closed out the world thinking they already had everything they needed, resulting in almost no expansion and colonies for the Chinese.

SoSimpo
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
:dunno:

Supa Dexta
05-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Its not hard to see why whites got ahead of you^.. Fuck you're dumb, I wish they didn't close that thread.. And I hold out hope that the cops will stick you with something, just for being so dumb.

97'Scort
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
That Guns Germs and Steel book is pretty good for this sort of thing.

But all you guys making the arguments about weapons or agriculture...other civilizations had that way before anything you could call "whites" came along. If you look at the past five thousand years, European "whites" have only been what you could call dominant in the last thousand or so. It's difficult to make the comparison to today's society because global thinking has only existed for the last two hundred years, if that.

The reason that Europeans dominated in the form of Empires is the aforementioned geography and a hearty immune system. Any place that they went was wiped out numerically by disease rather than full out war.

Canmorite
05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Watching the Guns, Germs and Steel on Youtube. Thanks for the link :thumbsup: