PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Dual Monitors

BrknFngrs
05-04-2009, 08:04 AM
I’m trying to set-up dual lcd’s on my home pc but I’m not sure what kind of DVI-VGA adaptor I need. When I was looking on monoprice for another adaptor they mention that you have to know whether you need a digital or analog adaptor which is what I’m not sure about. Right now I have one of the monitors hooked up using the DVI-VGA adaptor from my PowerBook G4 but I’ll need another adaptor to get both going and I’m not sure what I need to purchase.

I have the following video card and the following monitors:
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU
Dell E173FP 17” Monitors

Thanks in advance

em2ab
05-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Your video card is dual DVI and your monitors are VGA only so you'll need 2 DVI-VGA adapters. I think what he was talking about with the digital adapter is that you can buy a DVI cable or a DVI-D cable which has a few extra connectors in it and is required by some monitors. This is irrelevant for you because you're not using DVI cables. Just get the adapters and you're fine, they're $10 each at Memory Express. Although your video card should have come with 1.

Thaco
05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
there are 3 (actually 5, but 3 common ones) different types of DVI

Dvi-i
Dvi-a
and
Dvi-d

dvi-d is a digital only connector
dvi-a is an analog only connector
dvi-i is both.

The only dvi to vga adapter you should be able to find is dvi-a to vga because VGA is only an analog signal, so the digital is unnecessary and useless... here's a quick reference in how to tell the difference between the different adapters.

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/extremepcgear_2050_455467245

BrknFngrs
05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Great, thanks for the input guys. I'll pick up an adaptor this evening.