PDA

View Full Version : Storage companies

nickyh
05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
So I might be between homes for a period of 6 months, and I have a place to stay (parents), but I need to find a storage place to fit the contents of a two storey home, plus a garage of tools etc....

Any recommendations of where to go?
Would I have to carry my own insurance on the unit or would the company use their blanket?
It would be great if this place would be open on the weekend, would make moving easier.

There are so many places in Calgary when I googled, looking for first hand experience and places.

TIA.

ExtraSlow
05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I just used PODS and I was pretty happy with them.
They are not handy if you are going to need your stuff in the middle though, as it's locked in a warehouse and I think they charge you for access.
Still, if you are just going to move between places, and need storage in the mean-time, it's a decent option. Saves the hassle with transporting your crap twice.

TYMSMNY
05-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I just used PODS and I was pretty happy with them.
They are not handy if you are going to need your stuff in the middle though, as it's locked in a warehouse and I think they charge you for access.
Still, if you are just going to move between places, and need storage in the mean-time, it's a decent option. Saves the hassle with transporting your crap twice.

Off-hand, do you know the $?

Wildcat
05-04-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.cornerstonestorage.ca/

Ask for Jeremy Mani

ExtraSlow
05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Delivery, pick up, two months storage and delivery and pick up was around $600. I had the POD stored on teh city street for four days at the new house, and the City of Clagary parmit for that was $70.
There are some online coupons that can save you about ten bucks a month, which could make a difference on a longer storage term.
I was very satisfied with them, and for my situation, it worked excellent.
If you are doing really long term storage, there are cheaper ways, and if you are moving in one day, then a straight moving company is better, but for those awkward situations between those, this works really well.

TDA
05-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
http://www.cornerstonestorage.ca/

Ask for Jeremy Mani

BTW, he's not serious. For us who don't slavishly read up on every single beyond meme, just google/beyond up his name. Bad.

nickyh
05-05-2009, 06:43 AM
TDA - yeah - I got the joke right away, almost spat out my coffee while laughing.
Maybe I'll see if he has any electronics on sale for cheap, while checking out storage.

ExtraSlow - do you remember what size container you used?
I used the storage calculator and it gave me the middle size, but it's tough to figure out exactly what I need.

Eg: we have a bonus room with a couch & love seat, same for the great room - but then it's only the master bedroom, dining table & chairs, and the garage junk. Hopefully I'll be able to garage sale most of the junk in the basement before we move.

I guess it would be easier to call them and see if they'll come over to help me figure this out.

ExtraSlow
05-05-2009, 06:55 AM
I used the 16 foot container, and I had it probably 75% full.