PDA

View Full Version : donating blood - resident in europe between 1980 to 2000

cityhunter2501
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
So I tried donating blood today for the CCC only to find out that I can't donate blood ever in Canada (unless they change the rules) because I lived in Western Europe (Italy) between 1980 and 2000 for more than 5 years.

The thing though is I remember my parents donating blood last year.

Anyone else that lived in Europe that succesfully donated blood?

cityhunter2501
05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
nvm I called my parents last night and they told me they refused their blood as well, unfortunate since apparently my dad's blood is rare and I'll never find out what my blood type is :rofl: :cry:

TurboD
05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
nvm I called my parents last night and they told me they refused their blood as well, unfortunate since apparently my dad's blood is rare and I'll never find out what my blood type is :rofl: :cry:

go get a blood sample at the hospital if you wanna know what blood type you are, your doc can refer you for this.

otherwise, stop whining

spikerS
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I am kind of curious as to why they would refuse you as well, for all the advertisments that the red cross puts out asking for donations, something big must have happened to cause them to flat out deny without doing tests.

mazdavirgin
05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
There are no known tests(while you are alive) to detect creutzfeldt-jakob disease so no the red cross is not crazy for not allowing you to donate blood...

cityhunter2501
05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
There are no known tests(while you are alive) to detect creutzfeldt-jakob disease so no the red cross is not crazy for not allowing you to donate blood...

yeah from what I've heard they wont detect symptons on someone until after 10-20 years.

zipdoa
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Refused as well. I was born in France in '88, they are working on a test that will be avail in the next couple years so us euro's can donate!

natejj
05-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I had a few too many drinks last night... woke up in a barn... there may have been a mexican pig involved... can I donate?

freshprince1
05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I lived in the Philippines for a couple years. I was refused to donate despite having had all of the appropriate shots before I moved there. They said they could use my Plasma, but noting else.

Oh well, better safe than sorry with this type of thing.