PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Blue Jays

Pages : [1] 2 3

911fever
05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Anyone follow the Blue Jays? man they are ridiculously hot right now, 16-8, top of their division!

chathamf
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Yea, they have been tearing it up. Watch all the games I can. Disappointed about the loss tonight. Why no Downs in the 9th?

chathamf
05-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Also, that steal was either last year or the year before, as they haven't even played the Yanks yet this year.

slick2404
05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
wow that was pretty sneaky

911fever
05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Also, that steal was either last year or the year before, as they haven't even played the Yanks yet this year.

my fault, you are right.
Your take on Halladay, can he continue to tear it up?

malcolmk14
05-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Yea, they have been tearing it up. Watch all the games I can. Disappointed about the loss tonight. Why no Downs in the 9th?

Downs played in the three games previous. They were giving him a rest.

malcolmk14
05-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by 911fever

my fault, you are right.

Of course Halladay can continue to tear it up, he's been proving all his career that he's a perennial Cy Young candidate.

No signs of slowing down for that guy, he's their bread and butter.

98type_r
05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
He is their bread and butter, but what happens when his contract comes up? I still feel Halladay should have won the Cy Young last year over.

The Jays are still finding ways to win, doesn't matter that they haven't played the Yankees yet this year. They are underperforming and I would like nothing more than to see them miss the playoffs again.

chathamf
05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

my fault, you are right.

I actually feel that he's been playing bad for Halladay so far this year, so I figure he'll not only keep tearing it up, but get better as the season goes on.

chathamf
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14

Downs played in the three games previous. They were giving him a rest.

Yea, I understood that, but I was surprised Cito didn't ask Downs how he felt about it and let him make the decision. Downs would have without a doubt said throw me in there and got the save.

mac_82
05-05-2009, 08:21 PM

CKY
05-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Doc won't slow down as he hasn't almost all his career, only thing that has is injuries in the past.

But honestly I really hope he gets dealt to a legit world series competing team when his contract nears it's end next year as he really deserves a world series for how hard he plays and it's clear ownership (Rogers), management (fucking J.P.), and the team (lack of talent) doesn't have what it takes to go to the world series in Toronto.

iceburns288
05-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Swept.

Go Sox

5hift
05-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
Swept.

Go Sox

2 of the Jay's starters were called up from AAA and only playing due to injuries
the 3rd is supposed to be in the bullpen but helping out.

Jays are still first anyways but dont use this series to judge anything.

911fever
05-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
The only game I have been to this year was their first home loss against Detroit. Skydome is only a 15 min walk from my place, so I will be hitting up some more games once it gets nice out and the roof opens up.

I will probably try to see Boston at the end of May, TBay at the end of June, and the Yanks in August.

man what a spot that'd be, 15 mins from the Skydome? shit, lucky.

iceburns288
05-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
Jays are still first anyways but dont use this series to judge anything.
Well yeah, it's a 3-game series in a 162-game season. I'm just happy about the wins because now the Jays are only 1/2 game ahead.

Plus Daisuke's coming back against the Mets :)

95teetee
05-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Plus Daisuke's coming back against the Mets :) thank god for that- at least it keeps the Jays in first for another day :)

95teetee
06-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Doc on the DL. now Downs on the DL after hurting his toe running the bases.

Fuck NL rules.
If they want interleague baseball, the AL teams should be allowed to play with the rules they always use. If the National league teams still want to have 8 hitters and a bunter, let 'em.
:D

rumeo
06-17-2009, 07:07 PM
1-27 after 8 innings when losing
just fkin terrible

chathamf
04-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Figured I would bump this thread from last year with baseball season firing up once again.

I don't have high hopes for the Jays this year, but am enjoying watching the youngsters out there giving it their best.

We have started out the season 4-1 and on top of the east, shall enjoy it while it lasts!

Anyone else out there following these guys?

rumeo
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Jays always start strong and then teeter off...:(

mac_82
04-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't think I will bother going to any games this year. I was 0-3 last year, including their first home loss. Only games I ever saw and they won was when Doc was pitching.

911fever
04-11-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't think I will bother going to any games this year. I was 0-3 last year, including their first home loss. Only games I ever saw and they won was when Doc was pitching.

It was sad. Of the few games I saw lost year, I believe they won 2 of the 3. I'll be missing Doc this year :(

95teetee
04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
not having Doc is a huge change...
nice to see V-dub start strong (over a quarter as many bombs as last year already:D )...
Snider looks lost at the plate most of the time- he may be past the point where time at AAA helps him, but the 'looking totally outclassed at the plate' can't be helping him either-hopefully he can pull it together...
otherwise I like the team makeup...

well, every win is a bonus so I'll enjoy the start:D

chathamf
04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
not having Doc is a huge change...
nice to see V-dub start strong (over a quarter as many bombs as last year already:D )...
Snider looks lost at the plate most of the time- he may be past the point where time at AAA helps him, but the 'looking totally outclassed at the plate' can't be helping him either-hopefully he can pull it together...
otherwise I like the team makeup...

well, every win is a bonus so I'll enjoy the start:D

It seems like Snider just flew through the system too quickly, and never struggled at any level before. He is still so young, that I think he will be okay. Look at how long it took Adam Lind to come into his own. Hopefully Snider figures it out this season.

I went to one game last year, ended up being the game in Sept when Halladay through a 1 hitter against the Yankees. Basically the last great start in a Jays uniform, it was awesome.

95teetee
04-11-2010, 02:02 PM

It seems like Snider just flew through the system too quickly, and never struggled at any level before. He is still so young, that I think he will be okay. Look at how long it took Adam Lind to come into his own. Hopefully Snider figures it out this season.

I'm sure he'll pull out of it once he gets comfortable (and does what Tabbie always recommends- go up with a plan and stick to it)

p.s. Janssen has taken over Frasor's role as team vulture:clap:

chathamf
04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Haha, yea Casey is racking up the wins. I think I'd like to see him get a shot at the closer role, or Kevin Gregg. I never liked Frasor as a closer, and this year he has been nothing by shaky.

Another great win today though!

chathamf
04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Way to send 50,000 fans away with a sour taste in their mouth last night Cito.

Prior to the ninth I was like okay, don't go with Frasor unless you have a three run lead. With all these fans watching you need to leave with the win, and Frasor is not the man for the job.

Of course, he sends Frasor out there and blows it. I would have without a doubt went with Gregg who is a proven closer. I know Gregg didn't have the best ERA last year, but he knows how to close ball games, and I am sure being with Toronto his era will go down as the Jays always seem to get the best out of their pitchers.

911fever
04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Gregg is a real good closer actually ^ I agree

5hift
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Way to send 50,000 fans away with a sour taste in their mouth last night Cito.

Prior to the ninth I was like okay, don't go with Frasor unless you have a three run lead. With all these fans watching you need to leave with the win, and Frasor is not the man for the job.

Of course, he sends Frasor out there and blows it. I would have without a doubt went with Gregg who is a proven closer. I know Gregg didn't have the best ERA last year, but he knows how to close ball games, and I am sure being with Toronto his era will go down as the Jays always seem to get the best out of their pitchers.

Frasor is definitely not the man for the job as was proven when they tried him to replace BJ Ryan when he blew out his arm.

That said, Gregg is brutal. Anyone who followed the Cubs last year knows that its more than just a horrible ERA.

I know he doesn't want to be a closer or even a RP, but I think Downs is the best out of the bullpen, with not just his stuff, but the mentality needed for a closer.

Toronto gets the best out of their pitchers ... LOL if by the best you mean overwork all its young arms into tommy john rehab cases (Marcum, McGowan, Litch, Richmond )

95teetee
05-30-2010, 01:15 PM
I know it's not really Jays related anymore, but...

Congrats to Doc for the perfecto last night:clap: :clap: :clap:

5hift
06-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 5hift

That said, Gregg is brutal. Anyone who followed the Cubs last year knows that its more than just a horrible ERA.

In the first test in a while, this 3 game series against the Rays, he almost blows the first game, blows the second game with 5 WALKS in the 9th, and in the 3rd game, Marcum gets roughed up late when he should have been pulled, because Cito has no closer to go to.

Because of Gregg, we lost a series we should have swept. Wait til we play in the Bronx, it will get worse with the Yankees working the counts, stepping out the box, and dragging the game out.

98type_r
06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
It's always an interesting series when the Yankees roll into town after the A-Rod incident rounding third base a few years back.

95teetee
06-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
It's always an interesting series when the Yankees roll into town after the A-Rod incident rounding third base a few years back. I can still picture Matt Stairs sitting on the first step of the dugout, practically vibrating with anger. hoping for something to happen so he could run out and bust A-Roid's face in half:D

mac_82
06-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Went to the game today. I would say 1/3 of the crowd were Yankee fans. Nice to see the Jays pull off another W.

911fever
06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Toronto's at .531, so not baddd

95teetee
08-07-2010, 01:00 PM
man, how about this Arencibia kid. First major league pitch he sees he blasts for a 2 run homer, doubles in his second at bat and singles in his third.

Not a bad debut:clap:

edit- and a second homerun in his fourth A.B. :eek:

Barlow
08-07-2010, 02:33 PM
10 games back of wild card,

knowing the Jays, I bet they will be bringing up the rear by end of season.

Any takers?

Barlow

95teetee
08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Barlow
10 games back of wild card,

knowing the Jays, I bet they will be bringing up the rear by end of season.

Any takers?

Barlow you mean even finish behind Baltimore?

I'll take a chunk of that:D

dino_martini
08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Went to the game today. I would say 1/3 of the crowd were Yankee fans. Nice to see the Jays pull off another W.

Does that happen all the time at Jays games?

I went to a Boston Red Sox vs Toronto Blue Jays game last summer and there were more Red Sox fans than Jays fans in the Rogers Center.

mac_82
08-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Does that happen all the time at Jays games?

I went to a Boston Red Sox vs Toronto Blue Jays game last summer and there were more Red Sox fans than Jays fans in the Rogers Center.

I think it mostly happens when NY/Boston/Detroit are in town. I could be wrong though, I have only been to about 10 games since I moved to Toronto.

98type_r
08-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Doesn't just happen there either. The last time I saw a Red Sox v. Mariners game in Seattle, it was the same thing. Halfway through the game the crowd started chanting "Yankees Suck"

95teetee
08-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Doesn't just happen there either. The last time I saw a Red Sox v. Mariners game in Seattle, it was the same thing. Halfway through the game the crowd started chanting "Yankees Suck" wll, that's something most of the baseball world can get together on:thumbsup:

5hift
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Good read for Blue Jay fans:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/08/10/blue.jays/index.html?eref=sihp

I thought Alex Anthopoulos was doing a great job, but I didnt realize how good.

95teetee
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
so...not bad playoff debut for Doc...second no-hitter in MLB post-season history:eek:

403ep3
10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Damn Doc. I hope he can win with Philly.

95teetee
01-21-2011, 09:26 PM
So... Alex Anthopoulos trades Vernon Wells for Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/hitman357/smilie_bow01_green_l_ani.gifAlex Anthopouloshttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/hitman357/smilie_bow01_white_r_ani.gif

911fever
01-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Alex is unreal. Great trade, now we can sign Bautista to a long contract (here's hoping)

rumeo
12-19-2012, 10:52 PM
BUMP

Tons of great trades for the Blue Jays this year...most recent being R.A. Dickey!

Here's hoping to make the playoffs

95teetee
12-19-2012, 11:03 PM
I'd never seen R.A. pitch before (other than being frustrated as hell facing him in MLB The Show 12 lol), so I looked up some youtube videos- can't wait now.

403ep3
12-20-2012, 12:28 AM
People are mad about the prospects we had to give up but we will make a strong run for the next 3 years..at least!

Team_Mclaren
12-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
People are mad about the prospects we had to give up but we will make a strong run for the next 3 years..at least!

I always thought thats kinda fucking stupid, isnt the whole point of having prospects is to have the potential to win? If they can win now, why not?

98type_r
12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Oddsmakers currently have the Jays as the favorites to win the World Series.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/12/19/blue_jays_listed_as_favourites_to_win_world_series/

brucebanner
12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm sooooo pumped for the Jays this year. Hope they can stay healthy. Such a good lineup of players, top to bottom!

-relk-
12-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

I always thought thats kinda fucking stupid, isnt the whole point of having prospects is to have the potential to win? If they can win now, why not?
I feel the same way. How many "prospects" actually turn out to be stars? A small percentage. Might as well trade em for current stars, and then trade back for them when they have progressed to your liking :dunno: Not easy to do though.

Phl0xed
12-20-2012, 11:36 AM
The reason that the Jays have been stock piling prospects, has not been solely for development purposes. MLB GM's LOVE prospects. AA has been just loading up the minors for some time now, waiting for trades to put the Jays where they want to be. The thing is, they had/have tons of players ready to make the jump to the show, but very few are going to get that chance on the Jays roster, thus, trade bait.

403ep3
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Allstars or not, prospects have to be traded when the jays are going all out for the WS. Bautista, EE, Reyes, etc. are all in their primes. You go now or you waste all their prime years.

95teetee
12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
People are mad about the prospects we had to give up but we will make a strong run for the next 3 years..at least! I was kind of worried about trading d'Arnaud too, then I realized...he might end up being good, but Dickey definitely won the Cy Young.

403ep3
12-21-2012, 01:26 PM
What a greasy greasy pitch!

http://i.imgur.com/MbYee.gif

98type_r
12-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Not only can't pitchers control it, hitters can't hit it, catchers can't catch it, coaches can't coach it, and most pitchers can't learn it. The perfect pitch." -Ron Luciano, former AL umpire on the knuckleball.

max_boost
12-21-2012, 03:13 PM
That's nasty!

Will be interesting. God I hope they can put it together!

95teetee
12-21-2012, 04:25 PM

http://i.imgur.com/MbYee.gif

Love the way the catcher (looks like John Buck, not sure) recoils waiting for the ball...seeing this I'm really glad the Jays picked up his catcher in the trade too- Arencebia would set the season passed ball record in the first game.

I watched Dickey's Letterman appearance from a couple years ago the other day- Letterman really enjoyed catching the knuckler lol.
R.A. was saying he actually works on being able to throw it for strikes- to 'control' it in other words (it's all about the quarter revolution- no more,no less).

kertejud2
12-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee

Love the way the catcher (looks like John Buck, not sure)

That's Thole, the catcher they picked up.

I've spent a lot of time watching that gif...how the hell can he do that?

Sega
12-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

That's Thole, the catcher they picked up.

I've spent a lot of time watching that gif...how the hell can he do that?

It's messed up, as a batter knowing what pitch is coming, and still not being able to hit it. Lol.

What's really exciting is all the moves they made aren't a 1 year, all or nothing thing. They've got these guys for the next 3 seasons, with the exception of Johnson who's under contact for 2.

Go jays! T-minus 60 days till spring training! :D

403ep3
12-22-2012, 11:16 PM
It's actually Nickeas..but they got him too so it doesn't matter :)

danno
12-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Buck played for the jays a few years ago. Then they picking him up from Miami only to trade him to the mets.

VWEvo
12-23-2012, 09:18 AM
I jumped on the bandwagon a year ago. Can't wait for this season to start. The best part of baseball is the fact there is a game everyday. This is the only time I will say, Toronto = Canada's Team.

Go JAYS!!!!!

403ep3
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos said J.A. Happ isn't guaranteed a spot on the Opening Day roster.
The Jays are considering using Happ as a swingman this season, but haven't ruled out the possibility of him being stretched out as a starter with Triple-A Buffalo. "Right now he’d be our sixth starter and he’ll be used as a starter in spring training," Anthopoulos said. "Then he would be competing for a spot in the bullpen and he does have options (to be sent to the minors). He’s that sixth guy and could end up in the bullpen but in a more unlikely scenario, he could get optioned."

403ep3
02-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Bump for my excitement!

403ep3
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Saw this on CP, hilarious!

w4SleSgaixs

-relk-
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Saw this on CP, hilarious!
I enjoy how Lind misses every "swing" :rofl:

funkedelic2
07-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Lets get this thread alive again. I for one am a really disappointed die hard jays fan but still believe we may have some sort of a shot if we can win the next few series.

Starting pitching has killed us and not having batters be consistent. I have watched counless games where we have had a chance to win a game only to leave runners stranded. If it werent for the long ball ability on the team, we would be the Houston Astros.

Hope the team can get their shit together and make a run for a wildcard spot.

403ep3
07-30-2013, 12:14 PM
I've been a fan since I moved to Canada and this season is going nowhere, fast.

On to next year.. I'm hoping we trade off aging vets like bautista, Buerhle, JJ, and Oliver.

danno
07-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Weird season that to me fell apart when Ricky got sent down. He was number 1 but dropped to number 3 with the new guys in December then dropped off the lineup all together. I'd give it another year with a change to the starting rotation and try again. Maybe they just need to get use to each other.

-relk-
07-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I've been a fan since I moved to Canada and this season is going nowhere, fast.

On to next year.. I'm hoping we trade off aging vets like bautista, Buerhle, JJ, and Oliver.
I'd like to see them trade Bautista, he did sorta start the Jays trend when he started hitting bombs, but we have a lot of power right now, and not enough pitching/hitter for average. I think if they added some good consistent pitchers, to both the bullpen and starting rotation, they would have a good chance to make the playoffs next year.

I wouldn't be against them keeping things similar to how they are right now either.

403ep3
07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by danno
Weird season that to me fell apart when Ricky got sent down. He was number 1 but dropped to number 3 with the new guys in December then dropped off the lineup all together. I'd give it another year with a change to the starting rotation and try again. Maybe they just need to get use to each other.

That's honestly not his problem. He doesn't have control and has lost all his confidence. He's in the minors right now and is SUCKING hard.

I agree with the hitting for average notion. I feel that bautista is always trying to hit one out of the park each bat. He used to be so patient at the plate, but now he is swinging at everything.. and throwing tantrums as well.

Edit: Adding: Thole is horrible.. even JP is better

danno
07-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Ya a catcher is something they could use. Jp sucks thole sucks, maybe zaun can make a come back. Haha
I'd bet Bautista doesn't like being second best to Edwin. But I have his jersey so I don't want him traded. Rasmus is coming around, and I'd like to see Davis play all the time if he gets to first it's almost a guarntee he will get to third. Maybe bring back Kawasaki for morale and fan support.

403ep3
07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Too bad Zaun sucks too.

Jose probably doesn't like being second best and that's why he's hacking so much.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal hears that Emilio Bonifacio is the most likely Blue Jays' player to be moved.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Blue Jays are also shopping Melky Cabrera, but teams could be reluctant to go after him for a variety of reasons. Rosenthal notes that the Jays have been mostly quiet in the days leading up to the trade deadline, so it's possible they'll do nothing. Related: Melky CabreraSource: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter Jul 30 - 4:01 PM

I doubt we can even get much for boni. Trade him and bring back muni

funkedelic2
07-30-2013, 05:55 PM
I like Bonifacio but the guy isn't producing. Rasmus is coming around a bit but the guy strikes out soo much. Honestly don't know what they are thinking when they make some of these decisions. They brought back lawrie to play second base? Seriously? Why waste the one great thing he has going for him? The dude has a great arm.

I don't want to see romero back, the guy is a wreck and he isn't ready to be given another shot yet. Just been an utter disapointment, no happ, morrow, drabek and the guys we do have couldn't be doing worse. Especially Johnson and dickey.

Sad thing is we are stuck with a couple of these guys now and there's no interest from other teams to pick them up.

max_boost
07-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Yea is this it? This is the year? Get to the wild card and go one and done?! lol :rofl:

VWEvo
07-31-2015, 11:44 AM
This is the year, they will get it done. Awesome team, awesome time to be a Jay's fan.

SmAcKpOo
07-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Man, if they only had Stroman this year. Ugh.

Their problem is inconsistent pitching. If Dickey wasn't 4-10 this year... fuck!

sexualbanana
07-31-2015, 12:53 PM
I haven't been able to find much on what their payroll will look like next season because I'm curious to see what kind of room they have to try to keep Price. Granted, they'd be in against some tough competition trying to sign him, but I can't imagine that a pitcher wouldn't want to pitch behind the kind of hitting that the Jays have right now.

403ep3
07-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Dickey has been pitching pretty well lately.. he just hasn't been getting the runs

Lowe and Revere now added. Revere probably takes over leadoff as he has a good average and can steal bases. Pushes tulo to where?!? lol too many players that can play the 3/4

Edit: totally forgot about this thread.. didn't know people watched baseball on beyond ;)

sexualbanana
07-31-2015, 01:09 PM

Edit: totally forgot about this thread.. didn't know people watched baseball on beyond ;)

Well, no one did touch this thread for 2 years until the Jays started making these moves.

403ep3
07-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Well, no one did touch this thread for 2 years until the Jays started making these moves.

Yep.. I just kept following/posting on CP's instead

Mibz
07-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
awesome time to be a Jay's fan. inb4#bringoutthetarp

colinxx235
07-31-2015, 06:06 PM
I haven't been able to find much on what their payroll will look like next season because I'm curious to see what kind of room they have to try to keep Price. Granted, they'd be in against some tough competition trying to sign him, but I can't imagine that a pitcher wouldn't want to pitch behind the kind of hitting that the Jays have right now.

I'd say the odds are very very low. The taxes for the Toronto area crutch the team. Price can most likely snag between 27-31 million/year from most teams. Jays would have to offer close to 40 million to match, and yah... they can't afford that, nor would they want to pay that much.

Team_Mclaren
08-04-2015, 01:21 AM
I'm new to this bandwagon, all i know is that The Jays got David Price who's a big name. So when are we gonna win the championship>?

brucebanner
08-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Price had a great outing yesterday, I only got to watch the highlights since I'm at work. It's a shame they likely won't get to sign him because of the money. Any pitcher would be crazy not to want to pitch with that kind of run support. Price seemed fired up though. The fan support was huge yesterday!

I'm hoping the Jays are able to make the post season and a deep one!

sexualbanana
08-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

I'd say the odds are very very low. The taxes for the Toronto area crutch the team. Price can most likely snag between 27-31 million/year from most teams. Jays would have to offer close to 40 million to match, and yah... they can't afford that, nor would they want to pay that much.

It's a common topic of discussion I've seen with all sports teams, but I wonder though, if buying power is ever taken into account as a selling point? Keep in mind, I'm not nearly smart enough to do the math on this, so I could be way off-base with this. But their contracts are negotiated in US dollars, so they, in theory, have like an extra 14-15% when they convert, right?

max_boost
08-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
I'm new to this bandwagon, all i know is that The Jays got David Price who's a big name. So when are we gonna win the championship>? haha the team is stacked now lol

tenth
08-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Any reading on that? Your numbers seem too big of a differential to believe, even if you are living in low/no state tax Florida/Texas. Maybe you're talking 27-32 million USD vs 40 million CAD?

If you live in New York City playing for the Yankees, the top marginal rate for combined city/state/federal seems to be ~52%, compared to 49.5% in Ontario. Of course, New York is a high tax US jurisdiction but on the surface for a player that is paid in USD NYC seems to be worse economically for big contracts. Of course, lots of other factors in there (more brackets in the US, fatter brackets, mortgage interest deductions, etc...). HST I would think would be a small factor, as it's a use tax and they're not spending 100% of their income.

The top US Federal rate is 39.6%, so assuming both numbers are USD (given players are paid in USD) getting to the kind of spread you're talking about on tax alone seems like a stretch.

sexualbanana
08-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Bautista shooting daggers (http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/gotta-see-it-fan-pulls-a-bartman-twins-hit-hr-fan-gets-ejected/)

:rofl: :rofl:

danno
08-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I get the temptation to get the ball but you have to leave it. You'll get kicked out as this guy did. The twins got 2 runs that ining

anarchy
08-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Bautista shooting daggers (http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/gotta-see-it-fan-pulls-a-bartman-twins-hit-hr-fan-gets-ejected/)

:rofl: :rofl:

Lol I'm not going to lie - I've been to a few ball games in my life and I'm always a tee bit worried the ball is coming my way. There seems to be all these unofficial rules to follow

i.e. home run ball from the away team? Throw it back.
Ball is fair, don't interfere.
Kids nearby, better give them the ball or get vilified by people around you, on the Internet and on TV lol.

It kinda of stressed me out haha.

Mibz
08-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by anarchy
Kids nearby, better give them the ball or get vilified by people around you, on the Internet and on TV lol. Got a buddy who's caught like 20 of those mini-footballs at Stamps game and has gotten to keep none of them because he's always surrounded by kids. He really wants one, but gets screwed by kindness every time.

max_boost
08-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Oh baby swept the Yankees lol

Hopefully they sweep them again next weekend lol. :D

danno
08-09-2015, 08:19 PM
The Jays have a good line up of defense and power right now. Smoak has been one of my favorite additions this year. Obviously Donaldson is the best. Going to be a good run to the playoffs.

brucebanner
08-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Long as the pitching staff stay on point. Going to be an interesting couple months.