PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Motors

2EFNFAST
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Is there any particular reason to avoid purchasing a car from them? Obviously used car salesmen can't be trusted, but are they in an 'okay' category, or an 'automaxxx' category?

Searching really didn't reveal too much current/relevant info.

NewLextasy
05-04-2009, 11:44 PM
I am very Very Close with the owner of the place.

His name is rocco and as long as you deal with me or him you will get 100% service and be more then happy.

Pm me with details as to what your looking for at over there.

2EFNFAST
05-05-2009, 12:19 AM
pm'd :thumbsup:

Canucks3322
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
1. A used car dealership....people don't just make up shit about them, they have a bad reputation for a reason.

2. The car you are probably looking at is priced below others on the market....why? You get what you pay for! This is probably one of the biggest lessons I learned in life when I was 18-25....

You do the math.

Stay away from ANY used car dealership. The ones mentioned in Beyond threads happened to have dealt with Beyond members but in reality...99% of them are out to rip you off...it's a business, it is what it is. These businesses make their money by taking in cars that have a rough history and fixing them up with cheap ass parts that are meant to break down 6 months (they either use refurbished parts of parts other than OEM) down the road and they target young kids like yourself (and like I was back in the day) because they know all you care about it how the car looks on the outside. If all you care about is driving away in a car that looks cool but don't care about the headaches you're gonna have with them down the road then yea...go ahead and check out cars at these types of dealerships, that's what they're there for. The owners of these types of places see it and they're waitin for your money...

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-05-2009, 10:52 AM
My parents bought an '04 Ford F-250 from them, as well as an 89 BMW 635CSi. They love the cars. I also have a friend who purchased a 2000 BMW M5 from them, he's a member on the site.. gp36912. Considering he's owned it over a year, and I regularly help him with the car (modifying, not repairing ;)) I'd recommend them in the "slightly above okay" category.

Seriously, I wouldn't overly worry about it. Just because it's in the NE means shit all.

NewLextasy
05-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
My parents bought an '04 Ford F-250 from them, as well as an 89 BMW 635CSi. They love the cars. I also have a friend who purchased a 2000 BMW M5 from them, he's a member on the site.. gp36912. Considering he's owned it over a year, and I regularly help him with the car (modifying, not repairing ;)) I'd recommend them in the "slightly above okay" category.

Seriously, I wouldn't overly worry about it. Just because it's in the NE means shit all.

Platinum Motors isa in the S.E right off 58th by the black foot inn. Not in the N.E

NewLextasy
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
1. A used car dealership....people don't just make up shit about them, they have a bad reputation for a reason.

2. The car you are probably looking at is priced below others on the market....why? You get what you pay for! This is probably one of the biggest lessons I learned in life when I was 18-25....

You do the math.

Stay away from ANY used car dealership. The ones mentioned in Beyond threads happened to have dealt with Beyond members but in reality...99% of them are out to rip you off...it's a business, it is what it is. These businesses make their money by taking in cars that have a rough history and fixing them up with cheap ass parts that are meant to break down 6 months (they either use refurbished parts of parts other than OEM) down the road and they target young kids like yourself (and like I was back in the day) because they know all you care about it how the car looks on the outside. If all you care about is driving away in a car that looks cool but don't care about the headaches you're gonna have with them down the road then yea...go ahead and check out cars at these types of dealerships, that's what they're there for. The owners of these types of places see it and they're waitin for your money...

And im sorry but you are WAY WAY off.

Maybe there are a few places like that. But Most reputable places take ONE Owner lease returns that are still under Factory Warranty.

No scams there.

Canucks3322
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by NewLextasy
But Most reputable places take ONE Owner lease returns that are still under Factory Warranty.

O RLY?

da_rite
05-05-2009, 05:24 PM
i'm in the industry and I wouldnt say all used car dealerships are shady. there is deff some ratty ones tho for sure.

Originally posted by NewLextasy
Most reputable places take ONE Owner lease returns that are still under Factory Warranty.

but as for having a reputable shop cause you buy your cars from the auction that are lease backs? Doubt that.

Last time i checked leased cars are no different from long term rental cars. I dont think i have to explain how people treat those...

doesnt really matter where its from, at the end of the day, the car is what is

Kona9
05-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by da_rite
i'm in the industry and I wouldnt say all used car dealerships are shady. there is deff some ratty ones tho for sure.

but as for having a reputable shop cause you buy your cars from the auction that are lease backs? Doubt that.

Last time i checked leased cars are no different from long term rental cars. I dont think i have to explain how people treat those...

doesnt really matter where its from, at the end of the day, the car is what is

WRONG!

I had a 4 yr lease on an 06 X Terra Offroad. 24,000 km annual allowance. I returned it after 3 yrs and a total of 36,000 kms. Whoever bought my X-Terra got a great, no accidents, clean glass, SUV. All it needed were tires.

Not everyone treats their vehicles like shit. Hence the type of vehicles New Lexstacy shops for.

da_rite
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I believe you. I see that at the dealership once a while too. but 98% of people dont treat they're leases like that.

911fever
05-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by da_rite
I believe you. I see that at the dealership once a while too. but 98% of people dont treat they're leases like that.

this is very true.

Canucks3322
05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
I guess NewLextasy and his used car dealership owner buddy have nothing to say back to that. :dunno:

you&me
05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I guess NewLextasy and his used car dealership owner buddy have nothing to say back to that. :dunno:

There's no need to paint all dealers and all used cars with the same brush. Most dealers, including Platinum, will get their inventory from many sources including wholesalers, auctions (full of lease backs), dealer trades, their own trade-ins and even private owners that just need/want to cash out on their car quickly and easily.

I'm not saying there is no reason for the reputation that used car dealers have, but making blanket statements doesn't help anyone either.

If there is a used car you are interested, do your due diligence! Get an independent inspection, ask to review service records, get Carfaxes, have a body shop check for signs of repair, do what ever it takes to make you feel comfortable with the condition of the car and negotiate a price based on all factors - generally, you get what you pay for. If any issues arise from your investigation, either use it for further negotiation, or find another car. If you're to cheap, lazy or stupid to do any of this, there's really nothing anyone can do to help you...

There's no reason to completely rule out a large segment of a market (dealer cars). If anything, a used car offered from a reputable dealer will have been reconditioned prior to being offered for sale. How many private sellers replace tires/brakes, do a service, repair curb rash etc prior to putting their car up for sale? I'm not saying all dealers do this, but maybe you should deal with the ones that do...

I have no affiliation with Platinum Motors, any of their staff, or NewLextasy. But making blanket statements without first-hand knowledge and not providing any actual advice doesn't really help the OP.

2EFNFAST - don't necessarily discount a car because of where it is, without hearing any first-hand accounts of why to avoid a particular seller. If they have something you like, go through the steps and whether good or bad, let us know how it works out.

you&me
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
DP

Canucks3322
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
you&me...you make a good point, BUT I'm not painting all these dealers with the same brush....notice I said 99% of them are out to rip you off? Of course there are some out there that are legit, heack, Platinum may even be one of them. But why should the OP waste his time, finding a car is already stressful enough, why should he waste his money on an inspection and what not when CHANCES ARE that the car is garbage and gonna cause him a headache in the near future.....you are giving him very bad advice. OP should avoid any used car dealership like a plague. Steer clear and save himself a lot of headaches.

Canucks3322
you&me...you make a good point, BUT I'm not painting all these dealers with the same brush....notice I said 99% of them are out to rip you off? Of course there are some out there that are legit, heack, Platinum may even be one of them. But why should the OP waste his time, finding a car is already stressful enough, why should he waste his money on an inspection and what not when CHANCES ARE that the car is garbage and gonna cause him a headache in the near future.....you are giving him very bad advice. OP should avoid any used car dealership like a plague. Steer clear and save himself a lot of headaches.

Canucks3322

Jerms
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Canucks3322 is a negative cock sucker - everything you post on beyond is in such negative manner

you&me
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM

You're right. You've made excellent points and I apologize for saying you made blanket statements, when in actuality, you said "99%"... my mistake.

I also acknowledge that I gave the OP "very bad advice" by suggesting he do some due diligence. Instead, I should've told him to completely avoid all dealers, thereby likely eliminating a good 75% of the market. And since my advice to do his due diligence was so "very bad", I would like to revise my advice to the OP -

Search out only private ads. Don't waste your money on an inspection. Since it's a private sale, you can trust the seller implicitly. Just pay up and go on your way.

By the way Canucks, weren't you the guy asking about trading his Murano in, but didn't even know if it was awd or fwd? Can I please buy my next car from you through a private sale? You don't have to know what you're selling and don't have to provide for any recourse if you misrepresent it, but since you're a private guy, I won't bother checking it out... let me know, thanks!

Canucks3322
05-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Uhhh...where did I ever tell the OP he shouldn't do his due dilligence on a private seller?? All I'm saying is that the majority of these used car dealerships are rip off artists and to steer clear of them, that is all.

JUZENO
05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
...hate to say it...but

what if he's a chill guy?

Quickstrike
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I purchased my car from there a few years back.

Overall I am pleased with how things turned out.
The salesmen were pretty laid back (less pressure).
They did a good job going through the few problem areas of the car - no surprises when my mechanic thoroughly inspected the vehicle.
There were a few conditions to the sale (regarding some cosmetic flaws that I wanted repaired), the additional third-party work was organized in a professional / stress-free manner.

Could have bought the car for a slightly cheaper price in the private car market, but the color + options that I wanted weren't available anywhere else at the time.

Clever
10-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Hmmm, interesting thread, any more feedbacks? Good or bad, I'm interested in a car they have and would like to learn more about the dealership, thanks.

loass720
10-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I bought a car from them and it was below market value. I know it needed some work but it was worth it.

On the drive home the tranny blew up and needed a rebuild. They handled it well and just replaced the tranny for no charge.

I would buy another car from them but considering alot of their cars are way out of my price point I probably wont for awhile.

thetransporter
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
rocco is a great guy i have known him for about 6 years.
its a great company, i bought an 2005 lexus from him years back, and sent my family and friends there. they actually sell cars and stand by them.

the larger dealerships and other dealerships can learn a lot of Platinum Motors. look at the other guys post about his transmission, and how they handled it.

TT-fast
10-26-2009, 10:40 PM
ya my dad bought a 09 tl type s from them perfect the car is awsome and great service i would recomend them, but used car dealerships kinda do rip u off if u see the mark up price, private dealer is better to go if u no wat ur doin if not just pay the money and go to a used dealership

thetransporter
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TT-fast
ya my dad bought a 09 tl type s from them perfect the car is awsome and great service i would recomend them, but used car dealerships kinda do rip u off if u see the mark up price, private dealer is better to go if u no wat ur doin if not just pay the money and go to a used dealership

they need to survive, yes they made $(minus)-2000 to $10000 on a car. but they have to pay their leases, insurance, workers, bills and have enough money to support their familes.

remember the people who bought new dodge/chrysler vehicles and the tranmission blows shortly after purchase and how the dealer handled it vs how a used car dealership would handle. what iam trying to say is there are companies that have good traditional customer service. so you COME back and tell your friends and family.

Clever
10-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I called them yesterday and the car I was interested in has been sold, it was the 92 Mercedes 300CE, my uncle used to drive one of those I loved that car when I was growing up, it would've been nice to have even just for the summers. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

bigbadboss101
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I was there in the summer and they had a very nice 2002 AMG E55. Priced right too.

G-Suede
11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Kona9

WRONG!

I had a 4 yr lease on an 06 X Terra Offroad. 24,000 km annual allowance. I returned it after 3 yrs and a total of 36,000 kms. Whoever bought my X-Terra got a great, no accidents, clean glass, SUV. All it needed were tires.

Not everyone treats their vehicles like shit. Hence the type of vehicles New Lexstacy shops for.

Outlier.

Sebasshole
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
half of beyond are shady used car salesmen so whats the difference from buying online or someguy with a dealership risking his name and carreer?

2EFNFAST
11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Sebasshole
half of beyond are shady used car salesmen so whats the difference from buying online or someguy with a dealership risking his name and carreer?

Are you suggesting that the people on here curbing their 20yr old JDM import with a supposed 60,000km on the odo are dischonest? :confused:

Sebasshole
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
pretty much. You prolly have better luck buying it from the used car dealer that you are thinking of then a private seller. IN SOME CASES. There are shady used lots but there prolly shady cause there reputation is already shit from a sour sale.

JAYMEZ
11-02-2009, 01:19 PM
My boss is tryin to get money back from Platinum .. He sold them his mercedes and now mercedes Canada is saying it wasnt paid off ... ive called alot of times , same with my boss. They keep saying the owner is in Italy or some junk..

you&me
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
My boss is tryin to get money back from Platinum .. He sold them his mercedes and now mercedes Canada is saying it wasnt paid off ... ive called alot of times , same with my boss. They keep saying the owner is in Italy or some junk..

If it helps, I do believe the owner is actually in Italy.
Edit - NM

Mitsu_Paul
11-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I am really good friends with Rocco ,
and currently am at Platinum motors.
He was in italy for a couple months few months back.
he is one of the most honest and hard working guys i know.
not a bad intention in his body.He always wants the customer to be happy, and thats right , no pressure sales. Although most of the stock is high end, it is not a used car dealer ship sellin $5000 dollar cars that are gonna break down. Thats the ups of being a hi end used car dealership