PDA

View Full Version : Another "Hit n Run" question

R!zz0
05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
My co-worker got in to an accident 2 days ago. When the guy came out of his car and asked her how she's doing, he got back in the car and took off. She did not get the license plate or any other information. What can she do about this?

Someone told me that she can get a lawyer and sue "City of Calgary" if it's a bad accident and if she's injured from it. Can she really sue the city? :confused:

Thanks

ExtraSlow
05-05-2009, 12:57 PM
If she's injured, her insurance will cover her. That's who she should call.

hrdkore
05-05-2009, 12:57 PM
unless it was a city vehicle.. then i would say there's no case.

luxor
05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
WHAT? is this some kind of a joke?

Suing the City will not do shit for her. How is it the City's fault that someone ran into her? Unless it was a City of Calgary vehicle, which I doubt. You're better off telling her she is SOL then suing the city. How stupid.

Kloubek
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Agreed. Suing the city is a ridiculous idea.

If she can't provide any real evidence that would help distinguish the guy's vehicle from the million other cars in Calgary, then I suspect she's pretty much SOL.

2EFNFAST
05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
One word came to mind when I read the OP's post - WTF? :confused:

rp_guy
05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
tell her to do it and then see what happens :thumbsup:

R!zz0
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh well i guess she SOL then. I'll tell her to deal with her insurance company then.

leec001
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
My co-worker got in to an accident 2 days ago. When the guy came out of his car and asked her how she's doing, he got back in the car and took off. She did not get the license plate or any other information. What can she do about this?

Someone told me that she can get a lawyer and sue "City of Calgary" if it's a bad accident and if she's injured from it. Can she really sue the city? :confused:

Thanks

Is that a joke? She better sue herself. :thumbsdow

urban.one
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
In some situations, such as hit-and-run and uninsured drivers, you can sue the Province of Alberta. More specifically, you can make a claim against the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program.

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/mvac/Default.aspx?id=4655

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/mvac/downloads/mvacbrochure.pdf

R!zz0
05-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Maybe thats what the guy meant :dunno:

tom_9109
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Well how hurt is your co worker.

R!zz0
05-05-2009, 04:02 PM
She said pretty badly hurt and starting physio tomorrow.
:(

luxor
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
In some situations, such as hit-and-run and uninsured drivers, you can sue the Province of Alberta. More specifically, you can make a claim against the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program.

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/mvac/Default.aspx?id=4655

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/mvac/downloads/mvacbrochure.pdf

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If she's injured, her insurance will cover her. That's who she should call.

"The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program will normally cover your personal injury damages even if you didn't get the identification of the at-fault driver and/or owner...If it can be shown that you had the opportunity to get details from the at-fault driver at the time of the accident or from witnesses, but you failed to do so, we may deny or defend against your claim on that basis."

It is clear that she could file a lawsuit in the Provincial Court (or Court of Queen's Bench) to get her physio covered, but her car is not covered at all. Furthermore, she has to prove that she at least tried to obtain the hit and run driver's license plate from the scene or from witnesses. I would recommend her to talk to her insurance first and then sue the Federal government (not municipal) as a last resort. I cannot add more as the details you provided are limited but good luck to her.

2BLUE
05-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Call Alberta Justice!!!!

tom_9109
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by luxor

"The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program will normally cover your personal injury damages even if you didn't get the identification of the at-fault driver and/or owner...If it can be shown that you had the opportunity to get details from the at-fault driver at the time of the accident or from witnesses, but you failed to do so, we may deny or defend against your claim on that basis."

It is clear that she could sue the Provincial Court (or Court of Queen's Bench) to get her physio covered, but her car is not covered at all. Furthermore, she has to prove that she at least tried to obtain the hit and run driver's license plate from the scene or from witnesses. I would recommend her to talk to her insurance first and then sue the Federal government (not municipal) as a last resort. I cannot add more as the details you provided are limited but good luck to her.

You don't know what you're talking about.

luxor
05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

You don't know what you're talking about.

Oh no? Why didn't you clarify it then?

Her insurance would most likely cover her cost of physio and her car. Filing a lawsuit with MVAC would definitely not cover her vehicle and possible dismiss her case after reading the witness statement in how she watched the guy take off in front of her eyes. Go ahead and try to correct me, lawyer wanna-be.

tom_9109
05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Well here goes.

For her vehicles physical damages her own policy will respond under Section C "physical damage" providing that she carries collision. If she does not carry collision and the other party remains unidentified there is no coverage or recourse to recover the damage to the vehicle.

In regards to her injuries her own policies Section B 'Accident Benefits' will cover her medical payments up to its limit of $50,000 with sub limits of $750 for chiropractic services and a limit of $250 for massage therapy and acupuncture services. If she is injured to the point of not being able to work there is also disability benefits available. This is a 'no fault' coverage and will remain in force if the other party is identified or not.

She can then make a claim in court and the MVAC program can respond up to $200,000 (which is the minimum limit for liability coverage in Alberta). Any amount in excess of the $200,000 can be claimed against her own company providing she carries the 'Family protection endorsement' (SEF 44) which will cover the amount up to the policy liability limit (Commonly $1,000,000).

Now the reason I didn't clarify it early is I was on a Iphone and could type a long winded response. However at this point I think you can consider youself corrected. Now before you try to argue with more of your non-sense I am not a wannabe lawyer, I am however a licensed and qualified insurance adjuster in Alberta. Lets just say I have a clue.

luxor
05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Well here goes.

For her vehicles physical damages her own policy will respond under Section C "physical damage" providing that she carries collision. If she does not carry collision and the other party remains unidentified there is no coverage or recourse to recover the damage to the vehicle.

In regards to her injuries her own policies Section B 'Accident Benefits' will cover her medical payments up to its limit of $50,000 with sub limits of $750 for chiropractic services and a limit of $250 for massage therapy and acupuncture services. If she is injured to the point of not being able to work there is also disability benefits available. This is a 'no fault' coverage and will remain in force if the other party is identified or not.

Lets just say I have a clue.

So what the hell is this, what exactly are you trying to say here? Are you trying to give advice?

You assumed that she doesn't have liability coverage, but majority of people do. So therefore she WOULD be covered by her insurance. Like I said.

The $50 000 limit covered by insurance is twice as much as if one were to sue in the Provincial Courts ($25 000 limit), unless you decide to go through a much more complicated and time consuming legal process of suing in the Court of Queen's Bench. You do not even know if her injuries are above $50 000, and if it's not then why go through a more complicated process.

All in all you just want to show off you are an almighty adjuster and know insurance policies and also maybe trying to protect your insurance industry. Congrats bud but I don't really care. You guys are the biggest scam artists so don't be so proud. If you think it's so much easier to sue the Federal Government for money then you're a moron. I've tried that in the past and it was much easier and faster to just make an insurance claim (too bad for you).

There are reasons why we are forced to buy insurance, so USE it. Also I'm not here to argue with some dime a dozen insurance adjuster, so go back to work or something.

mowglee
05-05-2009, 06:23 PM
pics of co-worker so we can further "analyze" what should be done

benz_890
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by mowglee
pics of co-worker so we can further "anal"; what should be done

fixed

tom_9109
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM

So what the hell is this, what exactly are you trying to say here? Are you trying to give advice?

You assumed that she doesn't have liability coverage, but majority of people do. So therefore she WOULD be covered by her insurance. Like I said.

The $50 000 limit covered by insurance is twice as much as if one were to sue Provincial Courts ($25 000 limit), unless you decide to go through a much more complicated and time consuming legal process of suing the Court of Queen's Bench. You do not even know if her injuries are above $50 000, and if it's not then why go through a more complicated process.

All in all you just want to show off you are an almighty adjuster and know insurance policies and also maybe trying to protect your insurance industry. Congrats bud but I don't really care. You guys are the biggest scam artists so don't be so proud. If you think it's so much easier to sue the Federal Government for money then you're a moron. I've tried that in the past and it was much easier and faster to just make an insurance claim (too bad for you).

There are reasons why we are forced to buy insurance, so USE it. Also I'm not here to argue with some dime a dozen insurance adjuster, so go back to work or something.

1. I never assumed she did not have liability coverage. I expect everyone to have that. I assumed that she does have third party liability coverage (probably a million) however third party liability is for THIRD PARTIES. Not for the insured. So at no time would her liability coverage come into play unless she is at fault for an accident.

2. The $50,000 of section B is for medical payments etc. you can't sue for it and get a lump sum, this is your insurance company looking out for you.

3. You're not here to argue with a 'dime a dozen' insurance adjuster so don't argue because I'm coming with the straight facts. This information can be taken by the OP and given to the woman in the accident and it can provide her some direction. Frankly if someone's is too dumb to realize you're not suing the court of queens bench or the federal government I'm sure that person is way too dumb to realize that they aren't contributing anything but confusion and evidence of how stupid they are to the thread.

4. I am not suggesting she not make an insurance claim, I want her to go use her Section B if she is injured and get money for her injuries if entitled. I hope she carries collision so her damage get fixed. Seriously you look at what I have typed but you don't understand it or are plain ignoring it.

Do you just get in arguments for the sake of doing so? I mean really what bit of positive input or actual fact have you added to this thread? Plain and simple you don't understand it. :facepalm:

Masked Bandit
05-05-2009, 08:18 PM
tom_9109 > luxor

Tom, sometimes you just can't win. Thank you for typing that out so I / 403Gemini / other people in the industry didn't have to.

tom_9109
05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
tom_9109 > luxor

Tom, sometimes you just can't win. Thank you for typing that out so I / 403Gemini / other people in the industry didn't have to.

I've been sitting here praying you'd show up.:thumbsup:

Zero102
05-06-2009, 09:10 AM

The $50 000 limit covered by insurance is twice as much as if one were to sue in the Provincial Courts ($25 000 limit), unless you decide to go through a much more complicated and time consuming legal process of suing in the Court of Queen's Bench. You do not even know if her injuries are above $50 000, and if it's not then why go through a more complicated process.

:banghead: :banghead:

Seriously, go away. I am sure the OP appreciates input from people who work in the insurance industry and deal with these sorts of issues every day. You have made it more than clear you do not know what you are talking about, so please go flaunt your e-wang somewhere else. I hear they are looking for people like you at 4chan.