PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on fee checking account

nonlinear
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
hi,

i currently have a checking account and two savings accounts at RBC (i have several thousand sitting in these savings accounts). The problem is that my checking account has a limited number of transactions, and everytime i go over (lots per month), i am charged $0.50 per transaction.

my way around these extra fees has been to get a PC financial checking account, withdraw cash from my RBC checking, and then drive to a CIBC and depoist the cash into a bank machine. this is a major hassle though, and i'm looking for a bank that will offer me a free unlimited transactions checking account. i just want it to be a real, physical bank that I can go into - NOT pc. i don't mind having to carry a balance.

after my success with Telus and Shaw retentions, i called RBC and threatned to withdraw all my money and switch banks unless they could offer me an unlimited checking account. well, basically that didn't work so now i'm looking for new banks. i think BMO and CIBC have unlimited accounts if you maintain a checking balance of like $1000, but i can't seem to find them again on their sites.

any suggestions?

EDIT: and yea, i realize that i can just pay more and upgrade my account, but the idea here is to avoid fees

broken_legs
05-06-2009, 07:10 AM
td

'Select Service'

Unlimited transactions
Eliminate the fee for your TD infinite travel Visa
0 Fee

Must carry over 5k balance.

ExtraSlow
05-06-2009, 07:18 AM
I know RBC has pissed you off, but VIP banking might work. RBC VIP banking (http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:SO@iUI71A8UACoBQGpM/products/deposits/vip-banking.html)
EDIT: Just to clarify. You'll get their premium visa, the RBC Infinite Avion for no fee, you can have several banking accounts with unlimited transactions. No minimum balance. Fee of $30 per month.
If you have a mortgage or other investments with them, you can get lower monthly fees as well, all the way to $0 per month.
I've been very happy with RBC for the six months I've been with them. ATB really pissed me off last year, which is why I switched.

Sugarphreak
05-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Masked Bandit
05-06-2009, 07:43 AM
My CHEQUING (and savings) account at CIBC waives all fees with a minimum balance of $1500.

Proyecto2000
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
My CHEQUING (and savings) account at CIBC waives all fees with a minimum balance of $1500.

My CIBC chequing account only needs a min. balance of $1000 to waive the fees

broken_legs
05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

(Keeping 5000$ in the account all year is like 6%)

are you saying they pay 6% interest if you keep the min balance?

Proyecto2000
05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

are you saying they pay 6% interest if you keep the min balance?

that would be awsome if its true. I know CIBC pay about 3% interest on their premium savings account if you keep a balance of $5000+

Sugarphreak
05-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Masked Bandit
05-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000

My CIBC chequing account only needs a min. balance of $1000 to waive the fees

I know mine WAS $1000 at one point in time. Meh. It's all the same.

nat_skyline
05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Does it Have to be a bank or can a credit union work for you?
First Calgary Savings...the have a chequing account, that If you have a monthly average of 1200$ they dont charge you monthly fees...
I have an appointment there today to change it to that... And to close my RBC once and for all.. Im tired of their BS