PDA

View Full Version : Albertans and PST

Supa Dexta
05-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Whats the deal with paying tax in other provinces.. When I was shopping round for some larger things, businesses would tell me I would only have to pay gst, since I was from alberta. Is this true? Or do you pay the pst and then claim it back later? I could care less on smaller things, but what about larger purchases out of province?

JordanAndrew
05-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Depends on the place but as far as I know you have to pay the PST and then claim it later on.

Masked Bandit
05-06-2009, 07:48 AM
It's been my experience that if you prove you are from Alberta you don't have to pay the PST. The only item I've looked into on this is automobiles.

mac_82
05-06-2009, 07:54 AM

em2ab
05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Don't you have to pay the PST if you are out of the province for the purchase? Why would it matter where your house is?

01RedDX
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM

Tik-Tok
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
About Provincial Sales Tax Visiting British Columbia

When visiting British Columbia, you are likely to buy or lease goods, pay for services, or stay in hotels or other accommodation. For information on how provincial sales tax may apply, please see our pamphlet, BC Sales Tax: What Visitors Should Know.

In addition to provincial Hotel Room Tax, some municipalities and regional districts collect an additional one or two percent tax to support local tourism initiatives. For a list of communities that collect the additional tax, please see the bulletin Municipal and Regional District Tax (HRT 007).

Exemptions

Tourists are required to pay tax on purchases made in British Columbia. However, there are some circumstances under which non-residents may be eligible for a point-of-sale exemption or a refund of the tax paid. Please see the bulletin Purchases by Non-Residents of British Columbia (SST 030).

Also, please read our bulletins on the following topics for more information on specific exemptions for non-residents:

Aircraft
Boats
Vehicles
Legal Services

Please note, other than the exemptions outlined in the above bulletins, Provincial Sales Tax is not refundable.

urban.one
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
You need to look at the info in the bulleting your post refers to.

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/sst_030.pdf

Taxable Transactions
Generally, no exemption applies to transactions where a non]resident purchaser takes delivery of goods in the province, even if the goods are later removed from the province.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Tik-Tok
05-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
You need to look at the info in the bulleting your post refers to.

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/sst_030.pdf

That only applies to things bought in BC, but delivered (ie mailed) to out of province.

If you buy it in BC, and take delivery of it in BC, you pay PST (except those exemptions, car, boats, planes)

megavolt
05-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Never heard of an exemption in other Canadian provinces.

I know if you go to Washington they exempt you from their sales tax if there's no sales tax in your home state/province.

sxtothe240
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
When i went to BC, i usually just ask if i get the tax exemption in the store, if they do it they will usually just ask for proof.

I just show them my drivers license, fill out a form or something.

Most retail stores carry the exemption i believe.

ZenOps
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
If you are a native or a diplomat - you don't have to pay GST either.

You must have the appropriate documentation of course.

I've been working on getting my consular/diplomatic card for a while now - other than not being able to get arrested for petty crimes - Its main purpose is to not have to pay the GST, that and I always thought that when the guy said "Diplomatic immunity" in Lethal Weapon was damn cool.