PDA

View Full Version : How to check for liens (US Car)

mr2mike
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Just wondering how you would check for any liens against a car that is in the US? Do I call the DMV or is there a website I can use? Does carfax provide this?

Just want to make sure the car is free and clear.

Redlyne_mr2
05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep Carfax will be able to tell you if there is a lien on the vehicle in any state.

Wrinkly
06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Yep Carfax will be able to tell you if there is a lien on the vehicle in any state.

I always use CARPROOF. I have run several reports on CARFAX and got a very 'clean' looking report with no liens showing. Same vehicle report from BC Verified CARPROOF has revealed liens, numbers of owners or jurisdictions that CARFAX completely missed.

It might be more expensive, but worth it IMO.

Redlyne_mr2
06-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly

I always use CARPROOF. I have run several reports on CARFAX and got a very 'clean' looking report with no liens showing. Same vehicle report from BC Verified CARPROOF has revealed liens, numbers of owners or jurisdictions that CARFAX completely missed.

It might be more expensive, but worth it IMO.
Were talking about a car in the US, carfax>carproof in the US carproof>carfax in Canada.

benyl
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I would also use Autocheck.

When raj2 and I were looking for M3s, I got Autocheck and he got Carfax. Many accidents and liens didn't show up on one and only the other.

The border will also do a lien check. They will not allow the car to be exported until the lien is paid.

Besides, in the US, I don't think the seller can have the title of the car unless the lean is paid. The bank would hold the document. Could be wrong though.

Supa Dexta
06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Aren't liens listed on the title?

schocker
06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Besides, in the US, I don't think the seller can have the title of the car unless the lean is paid. The bank would hold the document. Could be wrong though.
This. When I call about cars, that ist he first question I ask, if they dont have the title, I end the call.
Always check with carfax or autocheck also though as it should tell you the majority of the time in the report body.

4WARNED
06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Not entirely true.....the seller can have the title physically in his possession, but it would be in the bank's name indicating a lienholder....i've seen this a couple of times...

Until the bank signs that title (hence releasing their interest in the car to the seller), the seller can't do anything with the title either....

As posted above, easiest to move on and find another car....