PDA

View Full Version : Foamy brushes should be illegal

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Those brushes at every car wash, those foam firing, paint destructers of evil. They should come with big bold warning signs relieving the wash bay of any and all damage caused by them when used on paint. I know that people CHOOSE to use these, but they should be made illegal. You might not even think you're doing damage because it's so uniform across the whole car. Save yourselves the trouble and buy a 15$ microfiber hand mit from canadian tire (they come in various colours from blue to hot pink) and your car will thank you for it.

DO NOT USE THE BRUSHES! (unless you're a huge lifted truck scrubbing inner fender wells)

Just using the pre-soak and letting it sit a minute will minimize all the residue you notice on black or dark coloured vehicles. Then shammy it dry and presto!

And if I see you at the car wash scrubbing down your brand new black GT500..... :whipped: :banghead: I will ever so politely kick your ass.

I'm just joking...

But seriously don't use them

Took 7 hours
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/IMG_1805.jpg

Still working on it, although my camera skills fail, those who know what to look for will see the horror.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Matrix_0066.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Matrix_0067.jpg

Thanks,
Renee

EK 2.0
05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
So, if you catch me using the brush you will spank me??...

*off to wash Hollie*

LadyLuck
05-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Yikes!
I am glad you saw my car in the dark then :D

GQBalla
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
hehe but its funny seeing people use them though.

i was at a car wash where a some kid was using the tire brush on his brand new black GTI scrubbing the shit so oh so clean.

i washed my car, and he came up to me and said you know the brush makes it cleaner right?

i politely replied "you know those are designed to clean your tires right? you know to get dirt and rocks off? btw that scratches your car to shit"

he walked off and continued to scrub is car:facepalm:

ZorroAMG
05-06-2009, 02:10 PM
People use those things on the body of their cars? They are for tires, IMO.

nismodrifter
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Some pplz dont give a shit :dunno: Car is just a tool to get from A->B.

I saw one dood nudge a shopping cart out of his parking stall by pushing it with his bumper. My mind exploded just trying to think about why you would do this.

03ozwhip
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
i just recently started using this on my black 07 Outlander because EVERYTIME i used any wash whether its manual or automatic, there are dirst streaks all over it and the brush is the only thing that gets it clean. whats the BEST way to get this clean instead of using it?

Boosted_TL
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i just recently started using this on my black 07 Outlander because EVERYTIME i used any wash whether its manual or automatic, there are dirst streaks all over it and the brush is the only thing that gets it clean. whats the BEST way to get this clean instead of using it?

Duuuuude

Bucket and sponge (if you have to bring a bucket and sponge to the car wash, so be it)

Eibbus
05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL

Duuuuude

Bucket and sponge (if you have to bring a bucket and sponge to the car wash, so be it)

There are sponges with a microfibre exterior too. I've been using one for a while and it doesnt scratch up the paint at all.

mowglee
05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
soap, rinse, wax then dry your car off

topmade
05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
They are meant for the entire car, but of course anyone who uses them does the tires last. I only use them for tires as well, but as soon as I get in the bay, I will put the brush on the floor, face up and blast the living hell out of it to get the dirt and crap off.

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

Get the mit, hang it from the mat hook/grabber thing, soak your whole car with soap, soak the mitt good with soap and go over the whole car with it, outlanders are small enough you should be able to get the mit and car wet enough that it doesn't dry out by the time you finish (so you don't have to spend another $1 just to get it wet again). If someone says something about you mit washing tell them :whocares: haha

And always use the presoak!

shynepho
05-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Do you also use another micro fiber mit to dry it? Or is there another type of cloth you use for drying?

edit: nm just read it says to shammy it dry

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by shynepho
Do you also use another micro fiber mit to dry it? Or is there another type of cloth you use for drying?

edit: nm just read it says to shammy it dry

I have a couple different clothes for drying it.
I got rid of the leather ones and now stick with a shammy like "SHAM-WOW" for first wipe down, then a microfiber cloth to final dry it.

7thgenvic
05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I used one yesterday..... hahahah. Works perfect on my winter beater :)

03ozwhip
05-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by mowglee
soap, rinse, wax then dry your car off

not this. it doesnt work, ive tried everything from the weakest $3 auto wash to the most expensive washes and the $3 look just the same.

in the winter i obviously dont wash my car outside, so it never gets clean unless i actually use the sponge and bucket myself which does work, but it is alot of work to get it looking good.

~Touge/Wangan-
05-06-2009, 03:00 PM
hrm i dunno, the car was i go too has a decent brush, the texture is very soft and plush and has never made a scratch on any of my vehicle's from my yellow bike, to grey RX7, to silver civic....

i spray the car down with soap prior however, use the brush and spray wax it off, costs me $3 and turns out great....

although i have gone to some car washes where i grab the brush and instantly say "fuck that" and put it back.... maybe the carwash i go to is the luck of the draw?...

:dunno:

calgarygts
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know of a carwash that is mitt and bucket friendly? I keep getting kicked out of the ones I use for getting caught doing that.

shynepho
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

I have a couple different clothes for drying it.
I got rid of the leather ones and now stick with a shammy like "SHAM-WOW" for first wipe down, then a microfiber cloth to final dry it.

I'll give that a try next time I feel like washing the car

:thumbsup:

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Most coin ones are good with you doing that if its off peak hours. If someone pulls up behind you, gtfo. The best place is the 24h one on richmond near westhills for sure though

Originally posted by calgarygts
Does anyone know of a carwash that is mitt and bucket friendly? I keep getting kicked out of the ones I use for getting caught doing that.

Doozer
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know of a carwash that is mitt and bucket friendly? I keep getting kicked out of the ones I use for getting caught doing that. I've never used a bucket, but I've never been kicked out of a car wash for using a sponge. I think the key is to make sure you're not in a "coin slot" carwash, taking up a bay but not feeding the machine.

The wash I go to the in NW is a "pay by the minute" wash, where you're paying for any time you're in the bay. They've always been terrific about letting me sponge-wash the car in the bay, while spraying it with the hose.

03ozwhip - I have the same problem with my Alty ... no matter what sort of rinse/pre-rinse/etc I try, I need to scrub it to get the film off. As stated above, I keep my own sponge with my cleaning supplies, and use that to get the film off while spraying in the bay. I admit though, there have been a few times (usually in the winter) where I've just used the bay brush (after spraying it off).

TorqueDog
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
The majority of the brushes are just fine provided you:
1. spray the brush off with the pressure washer before using
2. do not, under any circumstances, use the brush without the foam, and
3. do not reef on the damn thing.

There are, however some which use those ridiculously stiff bristles that you'll want to avoid.

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Are you saying this applies to all cars? Because I so strongly disagree ill let you do this at your favorite wash bay to my black supra. I'm that confident it will scratch it.
I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, but that's just crazy haha.

Originally posted by TorqueDog
The majority of the brushes are just fine provided you:
1. spray the brush off with the pressure washer before using
2. do not, under any circumstances, use the brush without the foam, and
3. do not reef on the damn thing.

There are, however some which use those ridiculously stiff bristles that you'll want to avoid.

kevie88
05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
At Big Bucket I spend 1 loonie on washing the brush before I use it. I still use it on the body, but only after I know it is 100% hosed off.

I do my wheels with the brush last too haha

calgarygts
05-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Most coin ones are good with you doing that if its off peak hours. If someone pulls up behind you, gtfo. The best place is the 24h one on richmond near westhills for sure though

Maybe I'll try that one....it's not the time spent with the mitt I've been getting kicked out for - it's the fact that i'm using my own soap. I bring a rubbermaid container with my own soap/water mix. When they catch me I'm usually allowed to finish so it's ok but I always feel like I'm sneaking around.

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
If u use your own water y do you go to a car wash haha I've never heard of that :p

Maybe I'll try that one....it's not the time spent with the mitt I've been getting kicked out for - it's the fact that i'm using my own soap. I bring a rubbermaid container with my own soap/water mix. When they catch me I'm usually allowed to finish so it's ok but I always feel like I'm sneaking around.

Tik-Tok
05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
At Big Bucket I spend 1 loonie on washing the brush before I use it. I still use it on the body, but only after I know it is 100% hosed off.

I used to do that too, but it doesn't always work. My hood and fenders were just repainted last July, and they're scratched all to hell now because of those brushes... even hosing the brush off. :cry:

Doozer
05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
If u use your own water y do you go to a car wash haha I've never heard of that :p

It's against Calgary bylaws to wash your car with soap in your driveway due to the runoff going into the storm water drains.

I'm at work so I'm not going to look for the thread right now, but the link to the bylaw is actually in another Beyond thread about car washing.

Tik-Tok
05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Doozer

It's against Calgary bylaws to wash your car with soap in your driveway due to the runoff going into the storm water drains.

Who said anything about a driveway? Personal washbay FTW! (aka gravel RV parking adjecent to dirt alley, AKA dog pen, lol)

hampstor
05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Some pplz dont give a shit :dunno: Car is just a tool to get from A->B.

I saw one dood nudge a shopping cart out of his parking stall by pushing it with his bumper. My mind exploded just trying to think about why you would do this.

I've pushed shopping carts out of the way w/ my front bumper... maybe you were the person shaking his head at me that day :angel:

I used to wash the brushes before I used them ... however I stopped going to those wandwash places cause i was spending $10+ to clean my current vehicle. Touchless carwashes only for my vehicle now .

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Simple green or Blue planet has a natural car wash soap u can use at home, that is also at Canadian Tire :)

Originally posted by Doozer

I'm at work so I'm not going to look for the thread right now, but the link to the bylaw is actually in another Beyond thread about car washing.

Redlyne_mr2
05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
I thought it was well known not to use those brushes on a car.. that sucks for sure sorry to hear. Whenever I use the foam brush I basically just use it to throw the foam onto the car, I never actually touch the car with the brush unless im scrubbing my tires on my 4x4.

Hash_man
05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Ya those brushes are bullshit... Buut, the paint on my car is so screwed that I have to scrub it lots to get dirt off the back bumper and such, so I ended up using the brush last time I was at the wash... Car is basically flat white now anyways, so can't really see scratches lol.:dunno:

Wraith
05-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Simple green or Blue planet has a natural car wash soap u can use at home, that is also at Canadian Tire :)

Biodegradable or not, no soap :(

The brush is bad even if you rinse it, JUST DON'T USE IT! :facepalm:. If you couldn't care less about swirls and all that then by all means continue.

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Ok for another comparison here. I'm working on a forum members parents car. They've probably used the brush almost everytime they've washed it, or even worse, the drive through washes with the spinny brushes (you can see the upward sweeping motion of the scratching going towards the rear hips).

This has been clay barred with one application of cleaner wax, one application of swirl remover and one application of heavy cut cleaner. Still have to polish and wax after the rest of the car is done.

Amazing what you don't notice until you see what it's supposed to look like haha :p

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Matrix_0069.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Matrix_0070.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Matrix_0071.jpg

Doozer
05-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Aha. That's what I thought too. But that's not the way the bylaw is worded. It doesn't say "you can use environmentally-safe soap", it says something like "you can't use soap" period.

EDIT: Wraith beat me to it...

Team_Mclaren
05-06-2009, 05:05 PM

city of Calgary Bylaw
http://tinyurl.com/cylwdg

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

city of Calgary Bylaw
http://tinyurl.com/cylwdg

Good to know! I'm going to go back and read exactly what it says though.

Tik-Tok
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM

Good to know! I'm going to go back and read exactly what it says though.

No soaps or detergents. Doesn't give any leeway for biodegradable stuff.

Biodegradable just means it'll break down faster, but will still effect our rivers immediately.

Team_Mclaren
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
^ its a simple FAQ.. not much to read...

you cannot use soap. Use water only and ensure that dirt or oil from your car does not get washed down the storm drain.

4AGE
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Its fun to watch ppl scrub the shit out of their nice cars with these thinking that they're taking good care of their paint :D

stevieo
05-06-2009, 05:27 PM
i only use it on my wheels/tires

i learned my lesson when i scratched my hood on my integra when i owned it a long time ago. I sprayed the brush with high pressure for a good 10 seconds too, guess it didn't work as good as i though

inline6turbo
05-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^ its a simple FAQ.. not much to read...

No need to jumo down my back here, what's your problem? Ill go read it, maybe its not a soap or detergent, who knows, its not like I use it lol.

CelicaST-162
05-07-2009, 08:08 AM
This is exactly how the Aristo gets washed, mind you it never really gets film on it because it's washed so often.:D PreSoak->High Pressure Soap->High Pressure Wax-> Through wipe down.

My 4x4, well meh I use the brush on it because the paint is somewhat dull and full of swirls already. haha

LongCity
05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Fifth Gear Car Wash Test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjWkB_q2lE)

Too bad you guys all hate Fifth Gear so much.

Tik-Tok
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
Fifth Gear Car Wash Test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjWkB_q2lE)

Too bad you guys all hate Fifth Gear so much.

I don't think anyone hates it. It's just boring.

TurboD
05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
i like to use the brush on my wheels and tires, i feel sorry for the people that actually use it on their body.

2EFNFAST
05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
I dunno what's worse - that, or the people who spend 20minutes spraying/foaming/spraying, then pull out and start drying it - the pressure wash is good for loosening a lot of the dirt off, but there's still A LOT bonded on and all they're doing it swirling it up. Makes me cringe.

StreetRacerX
08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I use the coin op on Richmond rd and 37st(Great Western Car wash or something).

$2 High Pressure Rinse>(From top to bottom)

Park in the shade somewhere(Can be hard to find some depending on where the sun is, I typically find a tree in the residential area)>

Dry the body using Microfiber Terry Towels>

Dry the wheels/lip under fender with different towels/cloth than what you used on the body.

BlackArcher101
08-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I've quit going to car washes. The damn things don't even remove the dirt from the car, just the loose stuff. There's still so much dirt on the surface that I can't dry it with a cloth. Both drive thru and wand washes.

Handwash with a fresh chamois to dry each time for me now.

GMC99
08-02-2009, 04:45 PM
spend the 10 bucks for a co-op wash. problem solved

88CRX
08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Had a cop roll by yesterday while I was washing my car in the driveway. He slowed down and I think took my plate number lol. I wouldn't be surprised to end up with a bylaw ticket.

But your right, wand wash doesn't get all the dirt off.

Tik-Tok
08-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Had a cop roll by yesterday while I was washing my car in the driveway. He slowed down and I think took my plate number lol. I wouldn't be surprised to end up with a bylaw ticket.

But your right, wand wash doesn't get all the dirt off.

If your car is waxed enough, it will (unless you've got something other than normal summer road dirt on it)

88CRX
08-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If your car is waxed enough, it will (unless you've got something other than normal summer road dirt on it)

I dunno, I find if the car gets dirty from driving on wet/dirty roads and then it bakes in the sun for a day or two that it's a lot tougher to get clean.

heavyD
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I apply a heavy coat of wax and sealant to my cars so I can get most of the dirt off providing the car wash has good pressure even in the winter. Some places like Big Bucket don't have enough pressure to remove the dirt properly so I go to places where I know there is sufficient pressure. The only time I ever use a mitt is when I am going to wax as I don't even shammy. Basically only water comes in contact with my paint which is why my cars always look so good.

I always cringe when I see a person in a new Bimmer apply the tire brush to the paint. More than 50% I see use the brush though so either people don't care or are just uninformed. The brushes are for wheels only and even if you spray them before hand (impossible to remove all the dirt) you will scratch the clear coat.

s dime
08-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Pm'd Inline6!

2EFNFAST
08-06-2009, 10:20 PM

Have to disagree - you can sit there all day with the pressure washer, but there's always a bit of dirt film left behind that needs to be removed via agitation.

Tik-Tok
08-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Have to disagree - you can sit there all day with the pressure washer, but there's always a bit of dirt film left behind that needs to be removed via agitation.

Maybe you're using the wrong wax then? I can get my MR2 98% clean with $4 at a wand wash, the only grime left is a few hardwater spots that the "spotfree rinse" left behind.

Mar
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I use the brush all over my car, I just do the windows first so it gets all the dirt out of it on a surface that won't scratch. Then I put it on the paint.

But I've since bought one of those foamy brushes for my house at home so I won't be doing it much longer.

Redlyne_mr2
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by TurboD
i like to use the brush on my wheels and tires, i feel sorry for the people that actually use it on their body.
Saw some fool in a Corvette going to town on his car with the brushes just the other day. lol

Zhariak
08-07-2009, 12:22 PM
After last winter I molested my vehicle with the Brush... It was a mess... Even washed it a few times before and couldn't get the shit off even after using a towell to dry it (the towell was scratching the car more)

But all the time I see people using these on nice rides, and it's like ARGH.... WHY

I rather my car be dirty 10 washes in a row then finally start getting clean instead of using a brush...

JBreaks
08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I also failed to recognize the damage you can do by using the snow brush on your paint... luckily I was able to use "Mcguires scratch doctor" or something along those lines to polish out the fine swirls and such... do it in the shade and test it out on a hidden area first, if you have a softer clear coat it may result in a matte look if your aggressive with the scratch polish

2EFNFAST
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Maybe you're using the wrong wax then? I can get my MR2 98% clean with $4 at a wand wash, the only grime left is a few hardwater spots that the "spotfree rinse" left behind.

Collinite 845+iw, topped withh pinnacle soverign

Unless the wash is using some super strong detergent (and even then I have my doubts), you're still going to be left with a bit of a film - if you did you wash then put it under some hallogens or sun gun you'd easily be able to spot it.

inline6turbo
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM

I agree, I used the same wax on your car as I did my RX7 (both our cars are black) and I can 5$ wash it damn near perfect. So close to perfect that I microfiber dry my car outside after and am scratch free. :D

Q-TIP
08-07-2009, 01:24 PM

No soaps or detergents. Doesn't give any leeway for biodegradable stuff.

Biodegradable just means it'll break down faster, but will still effect our rivers immediately.

Interestingly enough the biodegradable soaps are worse for the rivers than the normal ones. They break down much easier which provides a more abundant source of food for bacteria in the water. Biodegradable soap in the water can in some cases double the number of CFUs of coliform and other bacterias in a body of water.

Of course the solution to pollution is always dilution...

mr2mike
08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Didn't bother reading all the pages but thought I'd let everyone know that on 16th Ave NW in the Shouldice area there's a newer car wash that has a foam gun that sprays the foam on your car. First one that I've come across and it works great.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=car+wash&vps=6&jsv=170f&sll=51.070311,-114.156318&sspn=0.017825,0.035706&ie=UTF8&radius=0.78&ev=p&latlng=13296250910656049644&ei=GIF8SsrmG422sAOb19D2Aw&cd=1&usq=car+wash&geocode=FbxICwMd1QUy-Q

Gibson
08-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Shit, haha, nobody ever told me not to use the brush on my car. Won't be doing that anymore.

FraserB
08-09-2009, 06:00 AM
I love the brush, like someone said earlier its awesome for the wheelwells of lifted trucks and it gets caked mud off nicely. I wash it after Im done but it never touches clean body panels.

B4tMan
08-09-2009, 07:34 AM
those who know what to look for will see the horror.

ya, those skyrines are terrible :)

inline6turbo
08-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

ya, those skyrines are terrible :)

hahah

It's been so long since I posted this I forgot I posted that picture and at first I was like... why does that look familiar??

Disoblige
08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Get a Armorall Microfiber mitten for $10, it's awesome!

2EFNFAST
08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Get a Armorall Microfiber mitten for $10, it's awesome!

Make sure to cd test it (rub it against the back of a cd and see if it leaves any marring/scratching) - I've never had any luck with microfiber mitts. Micro-chinelle all the way.

Disoblige
08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2008/thumbs/vrt-9367-armor-all_fr_006-9367.jpg

It's the softest cloth material I ever felt before. Also it's double sided where the other end has a harder surface for wheels, etc. Can't go wrong for $10!

2EFNFAST
08-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2008/thumbs/vrt-9367-armor-all_fr_006-9367.jpg

It's the softest cloth material I ever felt before. Also it's double sided where the other end has a harder surface for wheels, etc. Can't go wrong for $10!

What you feel doesn't matter. It's as simple as does it scratch the back of a cd if you rub it against it. If yes, garbage. If no, acceptable.

Trust me, you can go very wrong. I ended up throwing out $100 worth of original cobra tenticle mitts because I got a bad batch that scratched the heck out of a cd (and any soft/medium clearcoat).

I know which double sided one you mean - personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole - anything that goes anywhere near my wheels is kept completely separate (mitt, bucket, etc...) from anything that goes near the clearcoat. Do you really want to use the aggressive side to clean oyur wheels, wheel wells, etc..., then have it going into the same water your mitt (the other side of it) that will be touching your clearcoat? I wouldn't.