PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 944

ramminghard
10-23-2003, 09:00 PM
How are the older ones in terms of reliability and price of repairs? I am talking about the n/a ones. Also how are they in the winter?

thanks
Matt

RSD
10-23-2003, 09:05 PM
If you put some 4x4 tires on, it will handle like a dream.:banghead:

rage2
10-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by RSD
If you put some 4x4 tires on, it will handle like a dream.:banghead:
Nice bonehead post. 944's handle great, even in winter. As with any car, winter tires makes a huge difference.

Originally posted by ramminghard
How are the older ones in terms of reliability and price of repairs? I am talking about the n/a ones. Also how are they in the winter?
There's a few things to look for. Water pump, power steering pump/rack, timing belt. Those are the 3 big items that can get expensive. As long as those 3 are taken care of, it's fairly reliable.

I have a turbo, and haven't broken anything in quite a while now.

Do a search for 944, there was a more extensive discussion on 944's and reliability.

RSD
10-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Ya all the smart people buy sports cars just before an alberta winter.:nut:

Buy a car for the winter, and save the porsche for summer.

Redlyne_mr2
10-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Reliability is great but like anything with time things begin to wear. Eventually the front control arms need to be replaced and the timing belt and waterpump are 2 things that need to be kept up. Ive never driven mine in the snow and dont plan to. Rage2 drives his in the winter though and he has like 3 billion hp. The car comes nicely equipped with adjustable electric seats, heated driver seat,power everything crappy stock stereo and a huge sunroof. Really nice gear box as well and I love the torque and sound of the Porshce 4cylinder. One more thing look for a 1985.5 or newer if you can, they came with a nicer dash, rims and better suspension.

ramminghard
10-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by RSD

I have a street bike for the summer. What is wrong with wanting a nice looking car for winter.

And if you think about it the smart people that are looking for sports cars would buy them now, everyone with these sports cars is looking to get something made more for winter like an suv. Its a stupid time to buy an suv right now because they are in demand so the prices are higher. Going into winter sports cars are cheaper because they are out of season.

rage2
10-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by RSD

How about, learn how to drive, and drive it year round? It's not like every day in winter is covered in snow. There are many good dry days in winter, and it's damn fast when it's cold.

You gotta be on crack to park a $6000 car in the winter :rofl:.

/////AMG
10-24-2003, 09:35 AM
I have never seen a 944 for about $6000, Is that how much they are worht? I usually see most 944's for sale over 6G's.

redbaron303
10-24-2003, 09:39 AM
ZR auto has two nicel ooking 944 turbo's... or did a week back when I was last in Calgary.

/////AMG
10-24-2003, 09:40 AM
ZR has three now, one is about $12,000 th e other two are around $18,000

benyl
10-24-2003, 09:47 AM
I think that I have said this before... car are meant to be driven not stored. I sold my 1985 944 for $7000 like 5 years ago.

Another thing to look for is a weak clutch. The clutches are expensive to fix. I had my timing belt go on me. Titanium valves are $100 a piece... and there are 4 per cylinder... you do the math (yeah they didn't all bend).

Here is some model history

http://www.porschedecals.com/history944a.htm

Get a 1985.5 or newer... my interior sucked.

C4S
10-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Um .. I sold mine for $ 12,500 ...and that was .. damn and it was a 87 Turbo and I sold it in 1995 ! sound like I sold it too cheap ! : o

rage2
10-24-2003, 11:35 AM
944 turbos are going up in price in the US market oddly. I guess it's at the end of it's depreciation cycle now. Too bad the US dollar sucks ass, I'd sell mine and recover the mod costs :).

You can find 944 N/A's (older ones) for $6k easily. They might need a few grand worth of work though...

JustinL
10-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Mine is still for sale... VERY high mileage 87 with a fairly new clutch. I'm asking 7000$. (edit: that is my red n/a... not the turbo S)

The 88 silver rose turbo S apreciated more than 1000 US$ last year according to excellence magazine. Unfortunately the n/a 944s are just holding their value.

JustinL
10-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I think that I have said this before... car are meant to be driven not stored. I sold my 1985 944 for $7000 like 5 years ago.

Another thing to look for is a weak clutch. The clutches are expensive to fix. I had my timing belt go on me. Titanium valves are $100 a piece... and there are 4 per cylinder... you do the math (yeah they didn't all bend).

Here is some model history

http://www.porschedecals.com/history944a.htm

Get a 1985.5 or newer... my interior sucked.

Something doesn't sound right... there are only 2 valves per cylinder unless you had an S or an S2, but these were not made before 87. I'm pretty sure the valves are not titanium, but you are pretty close on the price.

J.

C4S
10-24-2003, 12:06 PM
:eek:

Anyway ..they are very nice car ! especial Turbo !

I remember the fixing cost is not that high, very reasonable, way way way less then a 911, and slightly more then BMW/Benz level.

A 944 a a nice car to start for owning a turth nice German Porsche ! consider about the same price range for a 92 Civic Si if you can find a nice 86-88 944 in around $ 6 - 7 K you will enjoy the car a lots ! :nut:

and Keep the stock 15" and put snow tires on it ! and drive it ! it got near 50/50 weight too !
and get some nice 17 or 18 replica from tunerworks next summer ! :bigpimp:

benyl
10-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

Something doesn't sound right... there are only 2 valves per cylinder unless you had an S or an S2, but these were not made before 87. I'm pretty sure the valves are not titanium, but you are pretty close on the price.

J.

I'll have to go and have a chat with that mechanic then... bastard.

I was very young and knew nothing about the car...