PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury

94boosted
05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Did a search and I didn't really find any posts on this. Anyways, I was at the gym yesterday and it was my shoulder/trap day.

I started off with a really good stretch and some light rotator cuff exercises and then some light shoulder press just to warm up my shoulders.

Get onto the Seated Barbell Shoulder Press and proceed with my workout (a 10-8-6 program right now). Start off with 135lbs x 10 no problem go to 145lbs x 8 and as I'm un-racking the weight I feel my left shoulder hurt a bit when the bar is behind my head then I get it into position and bang out the 8 reps no problem/no pain. So I go to 155lbs, grab a spotter just to be safe and I go to un-rack the bar and right as I lift it up I feel my left shoulder just pop, I immediately dropped the bar back on the rack and went to go get some ice.

I could move my arm so I know it's not dislocated. Went home and alternated between an ice pack and a hot pack for a couple hours and got a good night sleep to rest my shoulder.

I woke up today and it hurts like crazy I can barely raise my arm up without it hurting.

Sorry about the long thread but if anyone has any advice from a similar injury or knows what I should do please chime in.

Chris88CL
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Sounds like your shoulder subluxed. It popped out but wasnt a full dislocation and didnt stay out. Give it plenty of time to rest and heal. It will probably be a couple weeks before it feels normal again, but give it some extra time after it feels normal just to be safe.

My shoulders started doing this years ago and I never gave them proper healing time. The subluxations became more and more frequent and were happening easier each time until they turned into full dislocations that would stay dislocated for 30-60 seconds. NOT a good feeling.

Unfortunately I had my first shoulder surgery in September of last year. Im holding off on the other shoulder for now but it will have to be done in the next 3-4 years from the feel of things. :thumbsdow

Take the time and heal up properly so you dont end up requiring surgery like me.

bubbley
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Werd i no all about this horrible ass pain...hppend when doin military press 2 years ago..lucky my buddy was spotting shoulder just popped out i would have dropped the weight on my head. Worst pain in life almost cried at the gym. unfortunately, to this day my shoulder has never recovered. I stopped working out for a year too, makes popping, cracking sounds. Also, my shoulder looks different then the other and i think its screwed up my whole equilibrium in my body lol. Sucks, used to happend alot after sometimes while sleeping used to pop out then go back in right after, horrible pain. I might be getting surgery soon.

GL

94boosted
05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
That sounds right. Thank you. Do you think I should avoid trainning all together or just shoulder training?

bubbley
05-07-2009, 03:02 PM
i would suggest you hit up sports check and but a resistance band and use that to slowly rehab your shoulder. I just kept it in the shower and just did some excercises while showering..i would stop training for a bit man.

94boosted
05-07-2009, 09:53 PM
^ That's a good idea bubbley I always warm up with one at the gym but I don't use one at home

brown_guy
05-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Get well soon man and take it easy for the next few weeks :thumbsup:

94boosted
05-08-2009, 06:06 PM
^ Thanks man

5hift
05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Stop training completely.

I know some will say to fight through it if its not bad. But a re-occuring shoulder injury is the worst thing a lifter can go through as it effects almost every lift.

I'd just stick to resistence/stretching. When you do get back into it, focus on exercises that will strengthen and increase the flexibility of your rotator cuff. When you do go back into direct shoulder work, replace your seated shoulder press with a standing military press. You lose stability, forcing a lighter weight, but do so while strengthing your balancing ability and giving your shoulders probably even a better workout. When you do go back into the shoulder rack, you'll notice a increased flexibility not to mention strength.

SoSlowDx
05-09-2009, 03:42 AM
I'm sure I did the same thing too! Similar to what you've mentioned. Almost cried and was scared shitless! I stopped working out for a few weeks until it didn't hurt as much. Started doing light exercises and stretches. It is fine now but the popping sound and pain still haunts me when I'm at the gym!!!!:(

acura_el
05-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Same thing happened to me in August 2007 and I've only just fully recovered. I'd suggest going to therapy, it was the one thing I put off for a few months which prolonged my recovery.

The resistance bands as others have mentioned are awesome. That was pretty much all I used throughout my recovery while constantly doing stretches to increase the range of motion.

Does it feel loose? Mine felt loose the day after and for a good few months.

94boosted
05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Stop training completely.

I know some will say to fight through it if its not bad. But a re-occuring shoulder injury is the worst thing a lifter can go through as it effects almost every lift.

I'd just stick to resistence/stretching. When you do get back into it, focus on exercises that will strengthen and increase the flexibility of your rotator cuff. When you do go back into direct shoulder work, replace your seated shoulder press with a standing military press. You lose stability, forcing a lighter weight, but do so while strengthing your balancing ability and giving your shoulders probably even a better workout. When you do go back into the shoulder rack, you'll notice a increased flexibility not to mention strength.
I do plenty of military presses and seated/standing dumbbell presses I was just doing a seated press for shits and giggles. But I think I'm going to do more rotator cuff and range of motion exercises for a bit.

Originally posted by acura_el
Same thing happened to me in August 2007 and I've only just fully recovered. I'd suggest going to therapy, it was the one thing I put off for a few months which prolonged my recovery.

The resistance bands as others have mentioned are awesome. That was pretty much all I used throughout my recovery while constantly doing stretches to increase the range of motion.

Does it feel loose? Mine felt loose the day after and for a good few months.
It actually feels alot better then it did on Thursday already doesn't hurt nearly as much. No it doesn't feel loose or anything just some pain when I lift it up in certain positions.