PDA

View Full Version : pepper spray?

Destinova403
05-08-2009, 02:07 AM
i know its kinda a complicated issue... but my GF has been getting followed by some rather unsavory people at night on her walk home and i was considering something like Dog Mace or Bear Spray which she could carry in her purse...

i know the legalities are complicated, but if you claim its for self-defense against dogs (its intended use). however it is considered a restricted weapon and its use or intended use against humans is illegal.

something like this however would be legal to carry as long as it isnt used... however... id rather be fighting those charges than have my GF raped or worse...

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/products/muzzle-dog-spray.shtml

anybody have any experience or advice on the issue? do you think it would be worth it for a girl to carry at night?

Spoons
05-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Why not? Just make sure your girlfriend is the trigger happy type sprays some poor guy trying to ask a question or something.

BigDannyCool
05-08-2009, 03:33 AM
why don't you drive her or something?

Supa Dexta
05-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
why don't you drive her or something?

That makes no sense. :nut:

pf0sh0
05-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Bear sray comes in a bigger bottle, hard to conceal. But it stings like a mother fucker. Tell her to be careful Dane, if she does choose to use it, there is a good chance she might get some in her face. lol

ExtraSlow
05-08-2009, 07:14 AM
^^^^^
Agreed. It's very likely that if she's scared, and it's dark, she'll end up incapacitating herself in the process. If She's the type to freak out, then maybe another method is better?

Not to mention that she'll probably be in some major legal troubles if she uses a weapon like that.

I'm not saying she can't protect herself, but you and her have to think carefully about her options. Could she walk a different way? Could she take a cab or drive? Could someone walk with her?

good luck.

dandia89
05-08-2009, 07:16 AM
take some female defense classes. those girls are badass

The_Rural_Juror
05-08-2009, 07:20 AM
They sell canine sprays at Coast Mountain Sports to protect against coyotes at Fish Creek or Nose Hill. ;)

She should probably get one of those 120db personal alarms too. I hear EK2.0 is just as loud, so you might want to enlist his damsel in distress services.

topmade
05-08-2009, 07:25 AM
I bought one a while ago at the spy store on 17th ave and 1st. S.E. Not sure if they still carry them though.

G-Suede
05-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Just get her a handgun. They are cheap and easy to find in Calgary these days.

Tik-Tok
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

She should probably get one of those 120db personal alarms too.

I think this is a better Idea. Legal issues aside, if she doesn't have good aim with the thing, or fumbles while trying to get it out, it can easily be used against her. If your girl is anything like every other women I've known, it'd end up at the bottom of her purse from rummaging through it all day, and it's pretty useless down there.

She'd literally have to have it in her hand and a wrist strap on, the whole walk home for her to have any chance of using it effectively.

in*10*se
05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
tasers.... the safer alternative.....

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a pepper spray related question - I just bought some Bear Spray as mountain biking season is coming up. If I have it in my Camelbak and it is constantly giggling around as I ride, is that bad? Also, I fully understand I won't be able to get to it as fast as if it was in a holster, but we're all carrying it so its going to be better than nothing.

Tik-Tok
05-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I have a pepper spray related question - I just bought some Bear Spray as mountain biking season is coming up. If I have it in my Camelbak and it is constantly giggling around as I ride, is that bad? Also, I fully understand I won't be able to get to it as fast as if it was in a holster, but we're all carrying it so its going to be better than nothing.

On a bike? You just need to ride faster then your slowest friend.

It's not bad for the spray, just as long as the lock is firmly in place.

AndrewMZ3
05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I picked up some pepper spray for my wife when I was down in Vegas last. They sell them at the Fry's Electronic store (go figure). It's just slightly larger than a lighter and fits fine in her purse.

I'm pretty sure it's not legal, but I'd rather we have to deal with that then what could potentially happen otherwise.

I've looked at bear spray before for backcountry camping, and those cannisters are about the size of a 600ml bottle of pop, so they wouldn't be suitable for her situation.

BTW, if you do decide to "smuggle" some in, make sure you keep it in your checked luggage. Probably best if you keep it with your toiletries. I'm likely going to get some more for my mom and sisters next month when I'm down there again. It seems like we hear way more about assaults on women in Calgary these days.

The post about those personal alarms is a pretty good solution as well. Where can you pick those up? Sounds much more effective than rape whistles.

GQBalla
05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
spy shop or spy city and buy her some dog spray.

prety small maybe 1.5 times the size of a shotgun shell.

thats what i gave to my girl.

Kloubek
05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I think this is a better Idea. Legal issues aside, if she doesn't have good aim with the thing, or fumbles while trying to get it out, it can easily be used against her.

Silly thought when you think about it. If a man is going to overpower a woman anyway, who really cares about him using it? It's not going to help him much....

Personally, I think it's a GREAT idea to give your gf some pepper spray. Just make sure she's prepared to use it if required, and as someone else mentioned - doesn't spray someone beause he's asking for directions.

The cops don't really care of women carry this by the way. They'll pretty much look the other way - restricted or not.

The alarm is a great idea too.

The_Rural_Juror
05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I found a Garrison Travel and Personal Alarm at Canadian Tire today. It's a 2.5" x 2.5" x 1" box with a pull pin. 130db alarm when the pin is pulled. $9.

I think the product code is 46-0179-8, but I can't find it on the CT website.

There is also this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/SafetySecurity/PersonalHomeSecurity/PRD~0460147P/Pen%2BStyle%2BAlarm.jsp

For the canine sprays, you don't really need good aim because it disperses pretty well. I have been told by an outdoorsman that you feel like you would rather die if any of that stuff got into your eyes or nose. Speaking of which, someone on here should test it out and youtube the vid. :rofl:

3g4u
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Make sure she doesn't spray herself by accident. Bear spray burns for what feels like forever, but at the same time makes for a great spice while cooking in the bush. Don't ask how I know this shit.:D

eg_eric
05-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Buy her the spray, and screw what legal issues come up, i'd rather that than some loser trying to do something to my wife. My wife carries a knife and spray with her wherever she goes...

Part that sucks is that she says she doesn't carry it for an attacker, but to use it on me if she ever finds out i'm cheating on her.

GQBalla
05-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by eg_eric

Part that sucks is that she says she doesn't carry it for an attacker, but to use it on me if she ever finds out i'm cheating on her.

LOL thats funny, SPRAY STAB STAB

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

On a bike? You just need to ride faster then your slowest friend.

It's not bad for the spray, just as long as the lock is firmly in place.

Thanks, and yeah I will make sure the lock is good to go - if it exploded that would suck for people riding behind me haha.

The_Rural_Juror
05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Thanks, and yeah I will make sure the lock is good to go - if it exploded that would suck for people riding behind me haha.

Just buy one of these and strap it so that the lock can't fall off without the holster being open.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696025&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442564119

revelations
05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
As long as the product is marketed as "animal repellent" .... most police officers wouldnt care if a female walking at night carried one.

If used in self-defense - most judges wouldnt even bat an eye if it came down to a trial.

GREENBOY
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
If you're mountain biking it's totally useless to carry in your pack. It needs to be in a bottle holder or on a holster....even then if anything really did happen you wouldn't even know about it and likely still wouldn't get chance to use it. We drove up on a griz sitting over a deer carcass round a bend in k-country a couple of years ago. It just sat in the bushes and watched us all fly like it was watching a tennis match...but could have been worse! Happened so fast we would have been screwed if it had decided to attack one of us.

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Just buy one of these and strap it so that the lock can't fall off without the holster being open.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696025&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442564119

Thats a pretty good idea- thanks. I should have picked one of those up in the first place!

Spoons
05-08-2009, 04:21 PM
The knife is a fucking stupid idea. Concealed weapon. There is ways to talk around having pepper spray in your purse, but a knife is a little harder.

Pepper spray - Not likely to die from it if she accidentally freaks out.

Knife - Freaks out and kills someone?

Yeah with the bear spray, dog would be the better way. Bear spray when you release it, it comes out like a fire extinguisher (per say).

GQBalla
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
its shaped like a mini fire hydrant ahaha

eg_eric
05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
its shaped like a mini fire hydrant ahaha

haha!

eg_eric
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
The knife is a fucking stupid idea. Concealed weapon. There is ways to talk around having pepper spray in your purse, but a knife is a little harder.

Pepper spray - Not likely to die from it if she accidentally freaks out.

Knife - Freaks out and kills someone?

that's what i said to her, and then she ran after me with the damn knife... I want a divorce.

Spoons
05-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by eg_eric

that's what i said to her, and then she ran after me with the damn knife... I want a divorce.

:rofl:
Well have fun with that one... I guess I won't be surprised if I see someone named Eric dead in the paper with wife as a prime suspect then...

Destinova403
05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
well thanks for all the thoughts guys... im going to pick one up tmrw from "Spy City" $19 and it has about 25 seconds of spray with a 10 foot range... small enough to hide and meant as an "animal safety product" cant really hurt to have her prepared.

radioactivesago
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
More cowbell? How about a flare? Cook'em rare...

Just kidding, how about a horn to attract peoples attention?

Also, any weapon he/she carries can also be used against them.

GQBalla
05-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
well thanks for all the thoughts guys... im going to pick one up tmrw from "Spy City" $19 and it has about 25 seconds of spray with a 10 foot range... small enough to hide and meant as an "animal safety product" cant really hurt to have her prepared.

spy shop is like 16 bucks or something

Godfuader
05-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Good thread. The wifes heading back to NY for grad school, so i will def try to get one of those personal alarms for her...and somehow create a wrist strap. Self defense classes seem beneficial. Anyone recommend some in Calgary? I wouldn't mind joining with her as well.

cancer man
05-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Just remember when you use the spray get ready for payback especially if sprayed up wind.

And on my Can of Bear Repellant it's a sealed unit,once you crack the trigger you have to use it or dispose of it..kinda like a fire extinguisher can't be re-used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6uK4WZ0Z4k

Destinova403
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by cancer man
Just remember when you use the spray get ready for payback especially if sprayed up wind.

And on my Can of Bear Repellant it's a sealed unit,once you crack the trigger you have to use it or dispose of it..kinda like a fire extinguisher can't be re-used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6uK4WZ0Z4k

the spray i bought can be used over and over... you just re-activate the safety...

its quick and easy to use... twist the top and shoot

however... its only for use against attacking dogs... as stated on the packaging...

:D

.403white
05-09-2009, 05:34 PM
the bearmace could kill someone
it would swell there lungs&eyes up instantly
could possibly make the eyes bleed

just get a small little dog deterrent rom spycity