PDA

View Full Version : blue screen error

CMW403
05-08-2009, 04:11 PM
hey guys i bought an HP laptop about a year ago (stupid idea), long story short i have assignments due that are saved on that computer. everytime i turn it on i get a blue screen error that says physical memory dump and then turns off and restarts. this has left me unable to get my assignments that are due soon. is there a way for me to go through safe mode or get into the documents somehow so that i can write down my work? help meeeee

Joe-G
05-08-2009, 04:19 PM
From what i know, if you ever get the BSOD, you are fucked.
Hopefully if safe mode works, you should be able to retrieve those files though. In some other instances, windows is able to fix the problem.

Did you turn it off while doing a system update? Something mustve been corrupted and now it wont run properly.

CMW403
05-08-2009, 04:23 PM
safe mode just puts me in a black screen where i can type things. like the matrix haha

CMW403
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
no i didn't turn it off while doing an update, im really careful with this computer

GQBalla
05-08-2009, 04:25 PM
do you have the error code?

try to take out the ram and reseat.

Joe-G
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Worst case scenario, you could try connecting the hard drive to another computer to get your files...

Any recent drivers that you installed?

CMW403
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM
alright well i just ended up redoing all the homework that was on there, but i still need this fixed.

GQballa: i don't have any idea what reseating ram is

Joe-G: i didn't install any recent drivers.

i had this problem before and my dad gave the laptop to a friend of his to fix. it was fixed for awhile but then it continued to do this. the weird thing is that it would do the blue screen error and restart and then i could play around for awhile before it did it again. the ability to turn it back on after the blue screen error got shorter and shorter until now, i get to the log on screen and i type in my password and it blue screens and restarts.

if anybody has any ideas, i know nothing about computers. maybe i could pay one of you a few bucks and a six pack to get this sorted?

Thaco
05-11-2009, 03:24 PM
we need the error code or we cant tell you anything

when you bluescreen there will be a code that is like 0x0000007b or something to that effect, we need that code.

FreakinPrince
05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
do you have any extra warranty on it?

you should try getting into the BIOS and see if there is an option that would not automatically restart computer? use that option to provide us the error code

have you tried using the "last known configuration" option to see if it will go through?

Thaco
05-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince
do you have any extra warranty on it?

you should try getting into the BIOS and see if there is an option that would not automatically restart computer? use that option to provide us the error code

have you tried using the "last known configuration" option to see if it will go through? that's not in the bios, it's in the F8 "safe mode" menu

Mar
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Solution 1: Pull the drive and hook it up to another computer to get your files off it.

Solution 2: Use another computer to create an Ubuntu LiveCD, throw it in your computer, boot, mount drive, get your files off that way.

Solution 3: Put your Windows CD in your drive, boot, let Windows fix repair the necessary files that are corrupted.

Afrodeziak
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
could be full of dust too, blow it out with a can of compressed air. Likely not the fix, but always something to do when shit starts going bad.

Best bet is to replace parts with known working parts. ie. RAM or hard drive. This is where it helps to have friends with close to the same set-ups.

Or buy an adapter that lets you plug in the hard drive as a USB to another computer, lets you grab the files without having to boot into what seems to be corrupted windows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ270325491762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item3ef0a7a832&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50[/url]

The adapter above will do this. if you want to turn cd drives or large desktop drives into USB you will need the one that comes with a power supply. All in all this will do the trick for ya.

Ram can go bad, but I've yet to see a stick that's done it to me in my experience with computers.

CMW403
05-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
we need the error code or we cant tell you anything

when you bluescreen there will be a code that is like 0x0000007b or something to that effect, we need that code.

okay ill boot it up when i get home and get the code

to all the other replies: i have redone the files that i needed off of the computer, that is not an issue anymore. i now just need to fix the computer

89s1
05-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I've been getting a couple each week since I installed the release candidate for win7, on both of the 2 betas I used before that it was stellar. I just expected this thread to be about that is all.

*leaves quietly*

Mar
05-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by CMW403
to all the other replies: i have redone the files that i needed off of the computer, that is not an issue anymore. i now just need to fix the computer
See solution 3 in my post.

n1zm0
05-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by CMW403
safe mode just puts me in a black screen where i can type things. like the matrix haha

soo.. you're in DOS then? C:\> right??

try and boot windows from that :dunno:

bundi
05-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Step 1)
Go to www.ubuntu.com and download a LIVE CD of Ubuntu 9.04 and burn it with another computer

Step 2) Throw this disc in your computer and select Boot from live cd or it might say Try Ubuntu ** If this doesn't boot, see step 5

Step 3) Print the files, email em to whoever or do whatever you have to do.

Step 4) If this works okay, your computer is fine and Windows is to blame.. remove windows Install Ubuntu instead... Linux is far superior unless you are playing games.

Step 5) Run Memtest on ram to see if the ram is what's failing

Random BSOD can be caused by bad ram, bad powersupply, possibly bad motherboard, and of course Windows

If you need any help navigating through Linux to get your files, feel free to PM me.

Thaco
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
you guys are all terrible, bluescreens are caused by thousands if not millions of different reasons from drivers to hardware and everything in between, without the code, you cant even begin to diagnose the problem.

adam c
05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
you guys are all terrible, bluescreens are caused by thousands if not millions of different reasons from drivers to hardware and everything in between, without the code, you cant even begin to diagnose the problem.

^^ this... some of these posts are quite humorous

if you're getting BSOD at start up.. just copy your files and reformat

Mar
05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
How To: Read A Thread On A Forum
Step 1) Read thread title, click link.
Step 2) Read first post.
Step 3) Go directly to new reply without reading other posts.
Step 4) Post solution that has already been posted.

bundi
05-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Step 2) Read first post.

doh.

My bad, I did do a read thru, musta missed yours as it was so concise and small ;)

Also to the poster above who stated that blue screens can be caused by many things such as drivers and other bs... this is true, however, the common denominator is Windows when it comes to software.

Thaco
05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Step 2) Read first post.

you forgot the part where after step 4 you realise you did not provide a solution by rather took a random shot in the dark because you did not take the time to get all of the info required to properly diagnose the problem.

bundi
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
you forgot the part where after step 4 you realise you did not provide a solution by rather took a random shot in the dark because you did not take the time to get all of the info required to properly diagnose the problem.

Random shot? The solution would work if it isn't a hardware problem.. all you did was ask what the error code was... also not a solution, although it MIGHT help you find one you're going to be getting the OP into stuff that is way over his head... he doesn't know what re-seating ram is (no offense OP... reseating ram is taking it out and reinserting it on the motherboard to ensure good connection)

There's no possible way to get all the fucking info unless you took his computer and tested his parts such as ram, powersupply, etc.

There's no specific hardware or software details either.

The Linux solution (originally posted by Mar....) is a good one, unless you have a significant hardware problem it will allow the OP to gain access to his files and use them.

If Linux doesn't work, he's got a hardware problem, which an error code is not going to confirm for sure.

You say there are "MILLIONS" of things that could cause a BSOD, I dare you to show me proof that even HALF of those things have their own error code.

Now maybe you should stop talking shit about my post and get back to work selling computers at Future shop...

Thaco
05-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bundi

Random shot? The solution would work if it isn't a hardware problem.. all you did was ask what the error code was... also not a solution, although it MIGHT help you find one you're going to be getting the OP into stuff that is way over his head... pressing the power button, pressin f8, selecting disable shutdown on bluescreen, and getting him to read the error code is over his head? if so, he was doomed from the beginning.
he doesn't know what re-seating ram is (no offense OP... reseating ram is taking it out and reinserting it on the motherboard to ensure good connection) i never suggested any of this, so i am not sure why you're putting it in a statement directed at me

There's no possible way to get all the fucking info unless you took his computer and tested his parts such as ram, powersupply, etc. all i am asking for is an error code, as i said, if the OP cant type a 10-12 digit error code, he's got bigger issues

There's no specific hardware or software details either.
no, but it's a hell of a lot more accurate than "durrr take yout your ram and power supply and format your computer"

The Linux solution (originally posted by Mar....) is a good one, unless you have a significant hardware problem it will allow the OP to gain access to his files and use them.
op has stated several tiems that HE DOESN'T NEED THE FILES he recreated the files he needed and all he wants now is to get the thing operational

If Linux doesn't work, he's got a hardware problem, which an error code is not going to confirm for sure.
yes because linux doesn't have hardware computability issues, so if it doesn't work it's certainly faulty hardware:nut:

Now maybe you should stop talking shit about my post and get back to work selling computers at Future shop... i think i've said enough... and i really dont think it's necessary to respond to your petty "insult"

bundi
05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
K, I'm done arguing with you, don't take this post as anything offensive toward you here.

OP:
Booth with Ubuntu Live CD, if your computer hardware is okay, then you WILL get to the Desktop, 1 year old HP laptop will have no problems booting Ubuntu. I HAVE in fact used linux before and do know what I'm talking about.

If it works okay, then I would suggest format and install Ubuntu, unless you are hard set on Windows XP.
The reason I am suggesting format/reinstall even with Windows, is that while there may not be millions of things that can cause BSOD, there are quite a few, and to walk you through fixing it, is going to be a waste of your time, especially if you don't have data that needs to be saved now.

Your laptop may have restore discs to reinstall Windows and it should be fairly straight forward, some newer laptops also have restore partitions. A partition is a portion of a harddrive that will appear as a separate device in windows ie, Drive C:\ is your main drive... drive E:\ might be your restore partition.

Anyways, as far as I know, you can access this to restore your HP by pressing F10 or F11 when you turn your computer on, there should be an option for Recovery or something like it.

If anyone else has more recent experience with the HP recovery procedure, it might help, as I haven't done much of this.

HP Tech support should be able to tell you how to do this though fairly easily if you can't find out on the internet for your specific model of Laptop.

Edit:
I'm pretty sure it should be F11 for HPs if you have the recovery partition still.

VeilOctane
07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
before you do anything boot to recovery console using your xp cd and do inorder

fixmbr

fixboot

chkdsk /r

reboot

i have seen many blue screens just because of a crosslinked files when.

if not you can try this

http://www.mallumagic.com/forums/tips-n-tricks/205-10-steps-troubleshoot-windows-xp-boot-problem.html

Mar
07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
His assignments were due over a month ago.