PDA

View Full Version : LF: Someone to install my garburator

prodigydud
05-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to install our kitchen garburator. Our kitchen sink is roughed in for the garburator, but I'm unclear on the piping installation instructions.

Does anyone know of someone I can hire to do this? I heard it's a relatively simple job, but I'm inept when it comes to stuff like this.

frozenrice
05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I used Brentwood Plumbing & Heating a year or two ago to get the exact same thing done. IIRC, he was an independant maybe even semi retired guy. I can't remember how much he charged but at the time it seemed fair. I just wanted the damn thing installed so I was willing to pay a bit more.

TIP: depending on the brand, make sure that you have the power supply cord. The Insinkerator brand usually doesn't come with one. As well try to get all the ABS drain fittings and tees in case the plumber doesn't keep any on him. He was short one elbow and was going to run to the store to get one which would have cost me time which meant more $$$. I was lucky and had bought a few fittings that he was able to use.

Nufy
05-08-2009, 10:39 PM
If possible, have then run a dedicated circuit from the electrical panel as well. And use a GFI breaker if not a Plug.

prodigydud
05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the tips :D

frozenrice
05-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Nufy
If possible, have then run a dedicated circuit from the electrical panel as well. And use a GFI breaker if not a Plug.

There's already a rough-in so it's likely the electrical portion which is a wall switch, switched to an electrical outet in the cabinet under the sink. These are then tied into a seperate circuit on the panel. There techinically is no such thing as a plumbing rough-in portion for garberators. The plumber will just do a standard drain and trap. If there's no electrical rough-in, you'll need to call an electrician to do that portion.

prodigydud
05-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice

There's already a rough-in so it's likely the electrical portion which is a wall switch, switched to an electrical outet in the cabinet under the sink. These are then tied into a seperate circuit on the panel. There techinically is no such thing as a plumbing rough-in portion for garberators. The plumber will just do a standard drain and trap. If there's no electrical rough-in, you'll need to call an electrician to do that portion.

Yup, I took a look, and there's a separate plug in the cabinet along with an electrical switch.

Thanks for the advice on the electric plug, I just picked it up at Home Depot. How did you know what kinda of ABS fittings you needed? or did you just pick up the sampler? Mine doesn't look like it'll need fittings, as the pipe from one sink goes straight across (slight decline) into the pipe of the other sink.

Now, if i could just find someone to get the job done.

frozenrice
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I remembered correctly about the parts. I'm thinking back that he may have only said that he wasn't sure if he had all the fittings. I recall that he charged me for parts which I assuming he supplied and that he used only one fitting that I had happened to have that he needed.

soupey
05-09-2009, 05:31 PM
i installed my own in my apartment, unfortunately dont have the luxury of adding my own circuit breakers, i ended up just using the outlet for the dishwasher next to it...then installed a switch under the sink, works great!

dirk010
05-09-2009, 09:15 PM
i had H & M Mechanical install mine. Did a great job, quick, and for a good price. 403-236-4474

prodigydud
05-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dirk010
i had H & M Mechanical install mine. Did a great job, quick, and for a good price. 403-236-4474

Wow, did know H&M was diversified into mechanical and clothing...jk;)

dirk010
05-10-2009, 10:23 PM
They're a plumbing company. Been around 20 years probably.