PDA

View Full Version : Carseats and LATCH system - a big deal?

ExtraSlow
05-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Due to the demographics on beyond, this may not apply to many people. But not all of us are 18 year old millionaires. Some of us are a little older and poorer.

I've got a baby on the way, and I may be shopping for a cheap second vehicle. I know cars built after about 2003 have the LATCH system for car seats, which is supposed to make it easier to attach them properly. My question is, are cars without the LATCH system less safe?
Obviously, older cars are a lot cheaper, and since this will be a second vehicle, I'm not nearly as worried about 100% reliability, but safety is a prime concern.

Anyone have any thought on this or have car seat safety resources they'd care to share?

Supa Dexta
05-09-2009, 08:50 AM
People have had babies is cars for a 100 yrs now. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

yellowsnow
05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
100 years ago, cars didn't go nearly as fast. seat belts are not designed to hold the baby seat in place as securely.

i would definately get a car with the LATCH system

frozenrice
05-09-2009, 09:13 AM
EDIT:

Was wondering why everyone was typing latch in all caps so I googled it. Never heard of it until now. Totally changes my answer and the way I understood the question. :D

im2fst4u
05-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I think the OP is referring to the actual "LATCH" system as pictured below. This system replaces the use for the standard seat belt connection. Vehicles built in the USA after September 1st 2002 will have this system.
You can buy kits that are reverse compatible so if you have a vehicle without the Latch system the child carrier will still function as designed.

http://www.edmunds.com/media/ownership/howto/install.child.seat/latch.byte.500.jpg

pinoyhero
05-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Honestly your probably fine without the latch, but listing safety as your prime concern technology has advance and all 2003s+ now have them for a reason ...

xrayvsn
05-09-2009, 09:56 AM
It is a lot easier to snug down the car seat with a LATCH anchor than to use the seatbelt + tensioner lock. As far as safety goes, provided the car seat is installed correctly using either method, it will be equally safe. The difference is that it is a lot less struggle to get that correct install when you have the LATCH system.

I have had it both ways, and I strongly prefer a car made with the LATCH system. It is a convenience thing, and not a safety thing, though. Once you get a seat installed in a non-LATCH equipped car, you will never want to remove it.

R/T Tim
05-09-2009, 09:58 AM
The biggest thing with the latch system is the ease of installation and its pretty much fool proof. Not that using the seatbelt is difficult. Either way is equally safe so long as it is installed correctly.

canuckcarguy
05-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree that's it's a much easier system to use, but likely not that much safer.

But here's a hint. Before the baby comes, buy the baby seat, install it, and head to a fire station. IIRC, they will check to make sure you've done everything right.

Apparently the majority of car seat users don't install them correctly.

Aleks
05-09-2009, 11:33 AM
My wife and I have our first baby on the way as well and we wanted something bigger than GTI for our second car. Looked at a bunch of SUVs from late 90s early 2000s but none had the LATCH system. In the end we decided to go for a new Forester as it was rated one of the safest SUVs out there and had the room we needed at a very reasonable price.

That being said I grew up in a country where there were no child seats and no seatbelts in the back and I turned out ok :)

ExtraSlow
05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Funny that you mention the Forester, that's actually my preference for a second vehicle. I hear they may be bringing the diesel version over from europe next year. that would be awesome.
However with the wife taking some maternity leave, finances will be a little tight for a while, so a new or nearly new car might not be in the cards.

If the LATCH is just for ease of use, them maybe it's no big deal, since as I say, this is for a second car that will be used infrequently.

Supa Dexta
05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
princess auto has ratchet straps on for 3$

Masked Bandit
05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by R/T Tim
The biggest thing with the latch system is the ease of installation and its pretty much fool proof. Not that using the seatbelt is difficult. Either way is equally safe so long as it is installed correctly.

This.

Masked Bandit
05-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
I agree that's it's a much easier system to use, but likely not that much safer.

But here's a hint. Before the baby comes, buy the baby seat, install it, and head to a fire station. IIRC, they will check to make sure you've done everything right.

I would actually be surprised if they would do this. When we had our first in 2004 we stopped by a couple of stations and the guys refused, not because they were dicks, but because if they said it was good to go and then something happened, they can be held liable. Stupid lawyers / insurance.

Looking back, having car seats in BOTH vehicle was a nice convenience but in the end we probably used the wife's vehile 95% of the time anyway and could have made due with no car seats in the second vehicle.

Doozer
05-09-2009, 08:13 PM
You should also be able to check with the manufacturer of the car, and they will usually have a list of child seats which have been tested and recommended for their vehicles. (perhaps vice versa as well, if you already have the seat?)

For example, my Alty has really deep rear seats (almost like buckets). It made it impossible for me to install our child seat in the center of the rear bench, because it made the car seat too tippy. I found the list of "recommended" seats for the car, and ours wasn't listed.

It doesn't mean you can't use the seat in the car, but it helps identify ahead of time what seats will fit the best. If your seat is on the list, it might help you feel better about getting a non-LATCH car.

Example: (the Nissan link I mentioned) http://www.nissan.ca/owners/child_safety/en/guides.html

UndrgroundRider
05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I think the biggest issue with buying pre-2003 is other safety features which are more important than LATCH. 2000 and up saw a huge focus on car safety, which drove a lot of innovation in the area.

B18C
05-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Like everyone has said, both systems are supposed to be equally safe if used properly. The LATCH system is way easier to use, but depending on the car and car seat combo, you can sometimes get the seat tighter with one method over the other.

Another thing I've found is that many cars only have LATCH anchors for the rear driver and passenger side seats and none for the middle seat. This doesn't make sense to me as the middle seat is the safest place to put a baby seat. And no you can't borrow one anchor from each side and put your seat in the middle.

Also you don't have to buy 2 car seats. We have a Graco baby seat and you can just buy an extra base for the second car. It's like $50.

ExtraSlow
05-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I think the biggest issue with buying pre-2003 is other safety features which are more important than LATCH. 2000 and up saw a huge focus on car safety, which drove a lot of innovation in the area.
An excellent point. there are other safety systems in a car that make a big difference, curtain air bags for the back seat for one.

Originally posted by B18C
Also you don't have to buy 2 car seats. We have a Graco baby seat and you can just buy an extra base for the second car. It's like $50.
Yeah, our car seat is a Graco, so we'll be getting two bases, not two separate seats.

This has been a big help, thanks to everyone for the responses. I really need to get my finances and vehicle needs nailed down, but at least now I can buy a non-LATCH car with some piece of mind if I have to.

Thanks everyone.

4doorj
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM

I actually find the seat belt way easier then the latch.

lint
05-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If the LATCH is just for ease of use, them maybe it's no big deal, since as I say, this is for a second car that will be used infrequently.

Having used our car seats in cars with and without the latch, I would say that the latch is not only quicker and easier, it secures the seat much better. Reason being that with the latch there are two points that can be adjusted independently vs one with the belt. I have never gotten a car seat as snug with a belt as with the latch.

I also find not all latch systems are created equal. The ones in peg perego and britax seats make it so easy that you don't need a second seat or base. Taking a seat out of one car and securing it into another using the latch takes about 2 minutes.

Clever
05-11-2009, 01:36 PM

There is a car seat safety course that the city offers, it is free and it will answer all your questions and more, the wife and I went to one about 2 weeks ago, she was pulled over at a check stop and was issued 2 tickets for violations that we were confused about, since we went to our local fire station to make sure everything was done properly.

Yes, LATCH system is easier to use and is more convenient.