PDA

View Full Version : New Rebel T1i

TDFTW
05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
What do you guys think of the rebel t1i? Anybody have experience with it yet?

http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/catalog/digital-slr-cameras/canon-rebel-t1i-body

I've been drooling over the new 5d however I'm not comfortable stepping up to full frame yet and i dont have 3000+ dollars to spend....however i can get the rebel t1i for just over a grand and my lenses i have now will work with it.

Has the screen i desire and the movie mode at 1080p. I use a 20D right now so it would most likely be a nice step up from what i have

TDFTW
05-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Actually I think I'm going to avoid this one after the reviews I've been reading. Plastic body? Light weight? No thanks. That right there does it in for me. Maybe should just upgrade up to a 40D and keep 20d as a backup

mboldt
05-10-2009, 02:19 PM
The video mode isn't useable at 1080P! It's shooting at a really slow frame rate.

I'd go for a 50D if I were you.

TDFTW
05-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mboldt
The video mode isn't useable at 1080P! It's shooting at a really slow frame rate.

I'd go for a 50D if I were you. 20fps for 1080 and around 30fps for 720. That's laughable.

You work at a camera store so I assume you've used the 40D and 50D is there much difference between the two?

Gibson
05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
We had the T1i come in the other day, I took it out of the box and it feels...very cheap. The new Nikon D5000 feels quite a bit more solid, and the tilt LCD is kinda cool.

mboldt
05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
The 40D is getting hard to find now. The 50D has higher res sensor and screen, newer image processor. Noise performance is pretty damn close. The high resolution screen is nice though, a lot of people hated the 40D's screen.

TDFTW
05-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by mboldt
The 40D is getting hard to find now. The 50D has higher res sensor and screen, newer image processor. Noise performance is pretty damn close. The high resolution screen is nice though, a lot of people hated the 40D's screen. I can't see the 40d's screen being bad compared to my tiny little lcd on the 20d lol.

I'm going to have to play around with the 50D. If the screen is anything like what's on the 5dmk2 then that wont be a hard choice.

AccentAE86
05-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Personally, I'd rather have a 20D than a T1i, but that's just me.

The 40D refurbs can still be gotten from cameracanada.com for $849.

If you need movie mode, then this cam won't do it for you, obviously. But other than that, it's quite awesome.

High res LCD screens are retarded overrated. The low res screens provide excellent sharpness and clarity. The limitation was the embedded jpeg preview thumbnail that the camera generates. For example, zooming in on a shot on a Rebel XS with the low res 2.5" screen (same as 30D) yields a much sharper image than the Nikon D700 3.0" high res screen. If you don't believe me, grab a 40D, then turn on Live View, zoom into some newsprint at 10X and you'll see a ridiculous amount of detail, even though it's a "crappy low res" screen.

The only other feature that the 50D has that I wish the 40D had was lens microadjustments.

Bukka
05-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I'd probably get the 40D over the 50D
The screen probably would be nice, but unless you're pixel peeping every single image, then it's really not a big deal.
And like Accent said, In live view you can still see retarded amounts of detail.

It'll defs be a nice upgrade on your 20D.

TDFTW
05-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Bukka
I'd probably get the 40D over the 50D
The screen probably would be nice, but unless you're pixel peeping every single image, then it's really not a big deal.
And like Accent said, In live view you can still see retarded amounts of detail.

It'll defs be a nice upgrade on your 20D. Plus I've played with your old 40D and loved it. Especially live view. That is such an asset to me!

Bukka
05-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Live view was fantastic for static images, though I never used it all that much otherwise.
Also, live view will increase the ammount of noise in the image at higher ISO's and the length of time that live view is enabled will also increase the noise. Luckily the 40D's noise handling is so good, you can easily fix it, but it's better to know that it will have some impact.

soupey
05-12-2009, 07:04 AM
live view is also great for locating dustspots on your sensor haha, other than that its good for macro and anything you might be doing with a tripod/stable surface and you want extreme fine focus..., otherwise...its limited on a canon. its also useful for the software if you want liveview on a larger laptop screen with manual focus controls just a click away...

i mostly use liveview for any lenses i have tthat do not have AF, like a macro-bellow+tele combo, or a random fixed focus high aperture lens that which otherwise would be difficult to focus well using the viewfinder.

my brother's sony surprisingly has a great liveview system, basically transforms it into a point+shoot-like dslr, althought i'd never lay my hands on that camera after using mine haha.

i have an xsi, hasn't failed me yet, and it seems like they got rid of a few silly features to put in the video, simple things like the remote control shutter are now gone from the t1i, that and they made it feel like the xs (the xs and xsi have different textures to them), feels really cheap in contrast to the xsi.

that and...you have to think about how often you would use a video option anyways, for me I just picked up a refurb canon point and shoot with 720p video, works fine for me...

soupey
05-12-2009, 07:07 AM
oops

89coupe
05-12-2009, 08:53 AM
The 50D is a way better camera then the 40D hands down. But its whatever your wallet can afford.

I own a 50D and love it.

Video is meant for Video cameras, not stills. Why any camera offers it makes no sense to me.

ZorroAMG
05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Next you'll say stills should only be taken by 35mm film....lol

Technology progresses. You think some silly handy cam with a fixed lens could even compare to what these can do?

ge_forcez22
05-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Right now I am using a canon S5 and I HATE IT! I am thinking of upgrading to the T1i. But the price is a little steep for what I want to use it for.

clem24
05-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
The 50D is a way better camera then the 40D hands down. But its whatever your wallet can afford.

I own a 50D and love it.

Video is meant for Video cameras, not stills. Why any camera offers it makes no sense to me.

Let me guess. I'll bet the 50D takes better pictures for you than the 40D.

hoamic11
05-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Is even the new Nikon 5000D worth looking at?

C4S
05-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Let me guess. I'll bet the 50D takes better pictures for you than the 40D.

From LCD ... yes ....

as most DSLR users nowadays only view pic from lcd .. then 50D is better ...

I hv both .. somehow sold 50D .. and keep 40D.
as I hv "surprise" from 40D when i view pic from computer monitor .. but 50D .. pic looks nicer in lcd then monitor.

May be just me, I care image qulity on monitor thedn lcd.

:)

soupey
05-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by C4S

From LCD ... yes ....

as most DSLR users nowadays only view pic from lcd .. then 50D is better ...

I hv both .. somehow sold 50D .. and keep 40D.
as I hv "surprise" from 40D when i view pic from computer monitor .. but 50D .. pic looks nicer in lcd then monitor.

May be just me, I care image qulity on monitor thedn lcd.

translation:

Originally posted by C4S

based off what you see on the LCD, yes, you take better photos with the 50D.

Most DSLR users today only view their pictures from the LCD, in this case, the 50D is better.

I have both, eventually I sold the 50D, and kept the 40D, I am always surprised by the 40D when I view the photos on computer, the 50D makes the photos look better on the camera LCD in contrast to my computer.

Maybe it's just me, but I care more about image quality on my monitor than on the camera's LCD.

TDFTW
05-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I own a 50D and love it.

Video is meant for Video cameras, not stills. Why any camera offers it makes no sense to me. :facepalm:

BrknFngrs
05-17-2009, 11:02 PM
So does this mean that the xsi will be discontinued? I don't really care about video and I'd love to pick up an xsi at a discount.

soupey
05-17-2009, 11:21 PM
XSi to the T1i is kind of like the 40D is to the 50D, its the "newer" model that doesnt boast too many advancements over the previous, buildwise the xsi is superior, featurewise the T1i adds on "HD" video.

In the case of the XSi vs T1i, the XSi actually has some features that were removed from the T1i, making the Canon XS the model more likely to be "replaced" by the T1i.

The XSi has not been discontinued yet, and probably won't be anytime soon, its still only ~1yr old, and the T1i is shaped more around the canon XS than the XSi. It'll probably be discontinued whenever the next model is released.