PDA

View Full Version : Computer Speakers

Thomas Gabriel
05-10-2009, 04:08 PM
My sub just went, and I think it's time to get some new speakers.

The ones I have are 10 years old and cost 600 bucks (for a 2.1 system). I don't really see any higher end computer speakers anymore. I don't want a junky Logitech setup.

I also don't want to connect to use home theater speakers. They aren't meant for nearfield listening.

I don't need a surround sound system either. I wouldn't even hook the rears up.

One option is studio monitors. There are two problems with that. One is that although they are extremely accurate, they aren't designed to sound good. The other is that if I went the studio monitor route, I would plan to spend around $1200. That's a little more than my budget.

Anybody have any ideas?

Mitsu3000gt
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
The Logitech Z2300's are about as good as it gets for 2.1 computer systems right now, not crap at all. The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are also another set to look at.

If you want better than the above two, I would suggest a good pair of small bookshelf speakers. An interesting brand is "Era", as their speakers are known for sounding excellent even at very low volumes, and are easily used for a computer application. I've heard them and they are fantastic. My brother uses a pair for his speakers in a very small computer room in his condo, and they sound exceptional. You can buy them online from a store in Edmonton. Other ones to look at (just assuming you don't want to spend like $2,000 on a pair) would be Paradigm Mini Monitors. Totem makes a decent small bookshelf speaker too, but I prefer Paradigm & Era personally.

Grogador
05-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm listening to my Z-2300's right now, they are not junky at all... the sub is well-designed for most spaces and the speakers themselves are loud and true. Go to Staples or wherever and crank somethin.

Euro838
05-11-2009, 02:45 PM
If you can manage to get the Z-5500 for under $300, you won't be able to find anything better for that price range for computer. Even as a home theatre option, these would rival some systems at $1000.

Don't get the X or G series as they are nowhere near the quality of the the Z series.

DeeK
05-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I also recommend the Z-5500's. Even if you choose to not hook up the rears, you will still get nothing near that quality for the price.

As for studio monitors, unless you are spending $600 a speaker you will get mostly crap. And even then, most monitors roll off at about 60hz, therefore you will still need a sub to hear anything below that... and believe me, if you are gaming on it, your explosions and other like sounds will sound VERY thin without the low rumble below 60.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=789&product=18043
This is the next closest thing to a 2.1 system (that is not a logitech product), and it falls WAY WAY short in comparison. It sounds like shit, and is overpriced. There is a reason that when it says "specs" they only give you dimensions, it's because they are ashamed to give you anything else.. The Logitech Z-2300 are way superior to these.

Don't even bother with the Razor 2.1 setup.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28421&vpn=RZ05-00160100&manufacture=Razer
Biggest waste of time and money EVER.

Logitech did good with their Z-5500 system, When I bought mine, they were $229.99, 3 years ago. Now, they are such a hit that everytime I look at them they go up in price. The average price for em out here in vancity is $420 ish, and you have to order them because they can't keep them in stock.

So again, even if you decide you only want 2.1, don't hook up the rears or center channel, fine. But you would be wasting your money buying anything else short of a dedicated receiver/amp with tower speakers and a sub.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm selling a Z-5450 THX-certified speakers (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/262619/fs-logitech-z-5450-5-1-thx-wireless-speakers/) for $300. The rear speakers are wireless (i.e. you don't need to drag speaker cables across the room). They perform just as well as the Z-5500, despite having a smaller sub. And to repeat everyone else here, you can choose not to use the rear speakers. It supports SPDIF and optical as well, if your soundcard supports it.

msommers
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TV282LL/A?n=ipodshuffle1&fnode=MTY1NDA0MA&mco=MzgzNzEwMA&s=topSellers

http://www.axiomaudio.com/audiobytecomputerspeakers.html

Paradigm Minis as mentioned before are very nice. What kind of monitors are you using now?

Also, have you considered headphones or are you looking for a speaker system only?

Thomas Gabriel
05-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Ended up buying a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6D active monitors with a Tannoy TS-8 sub.

If you calculate the cost per hour of listening over the lifetime of the speakers, it is so low that it's not hard to justify doubling the budget.

DeeK
05-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Ended up buying a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6D active monitors with a Tannoy TS-8 sub.

If you calculate the cost per hour of listening over the lifetime of the speakers, it is so low that it's not hard to justify doubling the budget.

VERY VERY nice. I was going to put these down, but considering your budget of $1200, I figured they were out of the price range...

Congrats on a great purchase. However, keep in mind these are Tannoy monitors, that means RIDICULOUSLY flat sounding, they have no sound coloration whatsoever. So what I'm saying is most of your music won't sound like it would on any other system. Are you doing any sound editing or mixing with them or just an overkill system for playback? lol.

Either way, Very nice, I'm guessing they ran you in the neighbourhood of $1800 ish?

Thomas Gabriel
05-16-2009, 03:35 AM
The monitors were display models so it all for about $1300 shipped. I feel a little bit sketchy about them being displays, but they said they were in perfect condition, and this was a well-known company.

Ya, I'm expecting them to be pretty flat. I'm sure it will take some getting used to. The stereo field will be awesome though. I may add some EQ to my media player. Might have to lower the highs a bit if I get the volume up.

I used to do a lot of audio mixing. I've wanted to buy these monitors for years. But then I got into software development, and thought that since I work on the computer all day, I should find a hobby that doesn't involve the computer when I get home. I was also looking at buying a PS3, and said screw it, why don't I skip the PS3, and put the money/time into something productive like getting back into audio production.

copynpaste
05-16-2009, 11:28 AM
to me tower speakers will always sound the best for a 2.1 setup.