PDA

View Full Version : Torn Achilles Tendon

Barking_Spidre
05-11-2009, 12:00 PM
This ever happen to anyone here? Just wondering how your healing process went and how you feel after it has healed.

On sunday may 3rd, I was playing soccer in Airdrie, as goalie, and I stepped in a hole or a dip in the field, and felt a crack in the back of my leg, and yep, torn achilles tendon. It's torn at least 50% of the way through, right near the top where it turns into muscle.

So looks like I'm in a cast for 4 months.

So anyone? :D

PS. If you're on the vipers soccer team? And you were playing airdrie on that sunday, I was the goalie that went out in the second half. :thumbsdow

mr2mike
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Not to me but a friend did it wakeboarding. Needless to say, it took the typical healing time but his range of foot motion seems to be fine and he was back wakeboarding next summer.

Was it the tendon that tore or the soft tissue holding it behind the heel? I believe his was the soft tissue so the tendon would float around his heel.

mac_82
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
I tore my achilles playing soccer at the end of July 2010. Had surgery on it the next day, cast/crutches for almost 8 weeks, and then I got to start walking again. I am at the 3 month mark right now and am starting to lightly jog in intervals. I am hoping to be close to 100% by the 7 month mark. That is the goal I am working towards anyways.

Barking how was your recovery time? How long did it take you to get to 100%?

alloroc
11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Completely ruptured mine a few years back at a Soccer coacing clinic.
I coached the whole summer on crutches.

Recovered not too bad my other leg is still stronger but at my age (mid 40's) it isn't a big deal. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could be close to 100%.

Hurts every so often though - I got some nerve damage at the same time and hockey skates bug me.

[
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre
This ever happen to anyone here? Just wondering how your healing process went and how you feel after it has healed.

On sunday may 3rd, I was playing soccer in Airdrie, as goalie, and I stepped in a hole or a dip in the field, and felt a crack in the back of my leg, and yep, torn achilles tendon. It's torn at least 50% of the way through, right near the top where it turns into muscle.

So looks like I'm in a cast for 4 months.

So anyone? :D

PS. If you're on the vipers soccer team? And you were playing airdrie on that sunday, I was the goalie that went out in the second half. :thumbsdow

Barking_Spidre
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
I tore my achilles playing soccer at the end of July 2010. Had surgery on it the next day, cast/crutches for almost 8 weeks, and then I got to start walking again. I am at the 3 month mark right now and am starting to lightly jog in intervals. I am hoping to be close to 100% by the 7 month mark. That is the goal I am working towards anyways.

Barking how was your recovery time? How long did it take you to get to 100%?

Did yours snap completely? Or just part way? I wanted to get the surgery, but apparently letting it heal by itself was better?

Well, now it's been a year and a half since it has happened, and it feels great. It's more flexible than my other leg, the strength is back in it now.

As for recovery time, it took probably 5-6 months after I was out of my final cast (First cast was up to my mid thigh, then to just below my knee, then walking cast), for it to feel 100%. It feels 100% unless if I don't stretch before doing physical activity (working out, soccer, parkour). If I don't stretch, there's a very noticeable dull ache where it tore. One of the biggest things I did, was stretch lightly everyday, then do calf raises with just that foot, but hold some of my weight off so it wasn't my full weight. I'm not sure if you're doing physiotherapy or not, I never did it, so I'm not sure if that would help or not, most likely would. :D

The psychological aspect of it though, I don't think I'll ever get over it. I'm pretty paranoid about it whenever I'm playing any sports.

Kavy
11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I tore my MCL and ACL in one glorious hit playing Collegiate hockey in Michigan.

It took 9 months before I could ride the stationary without pain and 1 year before I could skate. Even then I was not able to play at the same level, one because I lost a lot of agility and two because mentally i could not get past re-injuring it.

I made a HUGE mistake by trying to rush it back and playing when I wasn't fully healed at the 13 month mark.

I agree that single leg raises are fantastic for rehabbing a knee but I feel the best method is to board/ball balance on the one leg and then turn that into balance single leg raises.

This will give you strength but also build the secondary muscles that will support your knee going forward.

this is the only picture I could find on the internet

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/articleimages/1283/Bosu-Ball-Leg-raise-bent-knee-in-front-single-leg3.jpg

Start with those then move into lowering and raising your body slowly.

mac_82
11-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

Did yours snap completely? Or just part way? I wanted to get the surgery, but apparently letting it heal by itself was better?

Well, now it's been a year and a half since it has happened, and it feels great. It's more flexible than my other leg, the strength is back in it now.

As for recovery time, it took probably 5-6 months after I was out of my final cast (First cast was up to my mid thigh, then to just below my knee, then walking cast), for it to feel 100%. It feels 100% unless if I don't stretch before doing physical activity (working out, soccer, parkour). If I don't stretch, there's a very noticeable dull ache where it tore. One of the biggest things I did, was stretch lightly everyday, then do calf raises with just that foot, but hold some of my weight off so it wasn't my full weight. I'm not sure if you're doing physiotherapy or not, I never did it, so I'm not sure if that would help or not, most likely would. :D

The psychological aspect of it though, I don't think I'll ever get over it. I'm pretty paranoid about it whenever I'm playing any sports.

My achilles tore completely, well 99%. There was a little piece hanging on. I went to the hospital at 2am, and got into surgery the next day. Luckily it was the best hospital in Toronto for knee/ankle surgery. And my Doc has been pretty aggressive with my progress, which is nice.

I am doing physio twice a week and getting lots of massage. I stretch and do calf raises 2-3 times every day, and practice walking 10-12 flights of stairs every day.

It was starting to feel pretty good in the mornings when I woke up, and not too stiff. But now with the weather getting colder it has gone back to being really stiff in the mornings and I need to put heat on it for 10-15 mins and then stretch it out.

And I agree with the psychological aspect of it. It's a really really tough injury to get through. It's a mental struggle, but you gotta fight through it. But I met someone who tore both achilles at the same time, so I guess I am just glad that I am not him.

88CRX
11-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Friend of mine tore his playing volleyball, did the usual rehab (6 months or something stupid) then he re-tore it stepping out of his back door onto a step, back at step 1. He had a second surgery and took it a lot slower the second time around, he still says he has stiffness and doesn't have full mobility yet.