PDA

View Full Version : Possible Kijiji Scam?

spike98
05-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Normally i am pretty good at fishing out scams on the internet but this one kinda has me on the fence. The fact that i am even suspecting it is probably enough indication.

I have my car listed for sale on Kijiji. I received an email this afternoon from a man and it read the following:

--------------------------------

"Hello, my name is Mr. Terry Smith, i am interested in buying your vehicle. Your AD states $5,000 But i can only afford to pay $4,800, please let me know if my offer is ok by you, thanks.

Terry Smith. "

--------------------------------

The name and email address (yahoo.ca) gives me nothing on google or facebook. This could be good and bad i suppose.

My car needs a detail inside and a new remote so i tell him if i skip the detail and let him take care of the remote i would be willing to entertain this offer.

It is his reply that now raises an eyebrow...

-------------------------------

"I will take care of those myself, i am a business man who buy vehicle,s here in Canada and U.S.A and send them oversea's for sale. Does the vehicle have any transmission or engine problem? If the engine and transmission is fine then we can get started.

I would love to come take a look at it and test drive it but i am very busy this period as some of my vehicle's will be leaving for oversea's soon, so we are busy preparing them for shipment. But what i will like to do at this time is:

I want to send you my company's cheque for the payment of the vehicle. After cashing the cheque, you will notify me, before i will come pick-up the vehicle. If this is ok by you please let me know so that we can get started immediately. If you are fine with this method then provide me with:

(1) The name you want the cheque to be on.
(2) The address you want me to send it to (not a P.O Box address because UPS or FEDEX does not deliver to P.O Box address).

If you can provide me with these details, the cheque will be send out to you immediately, then after it clears, i will come pick up the vehicle. I await your reply, thanks and have a nice day.

Terry Smith."

---------------------------

Now he is willing to pay for a vehicle sight unseen based on just my word. That is rare now adays so that makes me suspicious. But the fact he is willing to wait for the cheque to clear before aranging the pickup makes me think he can actually be legit.

I would also be meeting him face to face (for now) to pick the vehicle up.

What do you guys think? I havent replied yet as i am unsure if i want to follow through a bit more or if i want to start to fuck with him.

benz_890
05-11-2009, 09:54 PM
It's a scam, he wont meet u

BigShow
05-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Hmm I dunno, that one seems legit :facepalm:

spike98
05-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by benz_890
It's a scam, he wont meet u

That may be a possible scenerio but one the cheque clears and i have the cash, i could care less who picks it up.

Can you reverse a cleared cheque?

Or something i just thought of.....

He would use someone elses bank account or cheques to send the money. By the time the bank and/or person realizes that money is gone and an investigation takes place he will be long gone with the car. Then the bank will take the money back. Or can they even do that?

BigShow
05-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by spike98

That may be a possible scenerio but one the cheque clears and i have the cash, i could care less who picks it up.

Can you reverse a cleared cheque?

Or something i just thought of.....

He would use someone elses bank account or cheques to send the money. By the time the bank and/or person realizes that money is gone and an investigation takes place he will be long gone with the car. Then the bank will take the money back. Or can they even do that?

I know your interested in having your questions answered, but please save your self the hassle.

schocker
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
yes, this would be a scam.

spike98
05-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Well then i am going to fuck with him a little bit. I will report back to what happens!

Dumbass17
05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm no rocket surgeon, but when i read that he but his entire name into the message, it screamed PHONY

Sugarphreak
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Sounds like information phishing

spikerS
05-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
I'm no rocket surgeon, but when i read that he but his entire name into the message, it screamed PHONY

+1

that was my first thought too.

who the hell introduces themselves in ANY letter as MR?

Rohling
05-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Terry could be a female name, perhaps he was just trying to clarify in case there was any confusion

5fivespeed
05-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Check will clear - become fraud and you'll be screwed.

Mixalot27
05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
You should tell him you need your Nigerian banker to handle the transaction for tax purposes. Then give him the email address of one of those Nigerian scammers and let them try to scam each other. :thumbsup:

CUG
05-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Sounds like information phishing Yeah, that's what occurred to me as well. Name, Address etc. Give up your info NOW

broken_legs
05-12-2009, 03:08 AM
I would just give a friends address or a work address or something and see if you actually get the cheque.

I'm not sure they can scam you that bad with only a name can they?

sr20s14zenki
05-12-2009, 07:37 AM
who cares take the money and see if comes to pick up the car, if he doesn you have free money and if he does give him the car.. with out a bill of sale he cant do anything anyways,...

canuckcarguy
05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
When you get the cheque, it will be for too much money. He'll tell you that's because the customer's paid him extra for his commission and his shipping costs. And he'll ask you to send the difference to him via western union, and also to wait for the shippers to show up to take the car.

It will take the cheque a long time to bounce, maybe 2-3 weeks, and by then you'll have sent him his refund.

By the way, a buddy of mine just got a bank draft mailed to him on a Kijiji ad for a painting his wife had for sale, he actually backed out of the deal, thankfully, because it was a scam. But you should have seen the draft, it was flawless, at least to my eye.

scat19
05-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
I would just give a friends address or a work address or something and see if you actually get the cheque.

So you'd give up your friends info :facepalm:

You're a good friend. :banghead:

Kloubek
05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
There are lots of scams. I once has a cheque mailed to me which looked legit, but the whole thing seemed fishy, so I called the issuer. Sure enough - someone got ahold of sheets of cheques made out to them, and were sending them out.

Sometimes they will mail you too much, and ask for the difference. Sometimes the cheque will clear until the issuer realizes their account is being used, then the bank comes back at you for the funds.

I am not sure which string this guy is pulling, but it's fraud for sure.

Sugarphreak
05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

I'm not sure they can scam you that bad with only a name can they?

There is a group of people on Kijiji that just reply to everything in an attempt to first get your e-mail; which they add to a list of active e-mails and sell

Isaiah
05-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
I'm no rocket surgeon...
Which would be what?

Proyecto2000
05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Which would be what?

the guy who repairs the faulty rockets? :rofl:

Isaiah
05-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Repairs or operates?

Jim Rome99
05-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by spike98
i could care less who picks it up.

You mean you COULDN'T care less who picks it up, right? If you're dumb enough to fall for this scam, you deserve what you get.

Get yourself an education son.

dino_martini
05-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Kijiji is a scam...enough said.