PDA

View Full Version : shakers go-karts

Infinity888
05-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I've been looking for some decent go-karts and found shakers family fun centre. Does anyone know if this place is any good, or know of any other tracks that are good?

sh0ko
05-11-2009, 10:06 PM
nowhere in calgary has good go karts anymore....

Dren
05-11-2009, 10:08 PM
nothing in calgary is good

5fivespeed
05-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Dren
nothing in calgary is good

This.

rumeo
05-12-2009, 12:54 AM
how much does shakers cost

gatorade
05-12-2009, 01:14 AM
that place is garbage

sxtothe240
05-12-2009, 03:40 AM
it's mainly for kids under 14?

JordanEG6
05-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Don't like their Go-Karts. In fact any 'Go-Karting' place in Calgary has sucked since the indoor Grand Prix on 16th. Loved that place until they closed down.

But I absolutely had to choose, that place is alright (I use this term loosely) for Go-Karting.

Euro838
05-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow, you guys have high standards for go-karts or something. Shakers has 2 sets of go-karts, one for smaller kids say 6 and under and then the teen or adult ones.

They also have 2-seaters too. The track isn't really big (actually quite small) but i thought the karts themselves were decent. It's a good center to go if you aren't looking for adult racing. It's also one price, I believe $30 per person and that gets you access to everything. The lineups though for the karts can suck as it can take 15-20 min.

sh0ko
05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
Wow, you guys have high standards for go-karts or something. Shakers has 2 sets of go-karts, one for smaller kids say 6 and under and then the teen or adult ones.

They also have 2-seaters too. The track isn't really big (actually quite small) but i thought the karts themselves were decent. It's a good center to go if you aren't looking for adult racing. It's also one price, I believe $30 per person and that gets you access to everything. The lineups though for the karts can suck as it can take 15-20 min.

high standards cuz grand prix set the bar somewhat high back in the day

JordanEG6
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Euro838

Damn right they're high haha. Grand Prix required a Learners Permit and usually can be booked by appointment for parties and small events, so no need to stand outside for 20 minutes in a line-up. And no little kids running around.

n1zm0
05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko

high standards cuz grand prix set the bar somewhat high back in the day

this, even though they still werent as fast as some i've been to in the states, they were still the best in the city, period.

Infinity888
05-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Ya this is what i figured, go-karting here is crap. i was hoping there was some fun hidden spot somewhere, guess not.

Tomaz
05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I remember a Go-Karting place that had an amazing outdoor track out towards Airdrie. I was a kid last time I went there, but I do remember that you had to be a certain age to drive them, and they went pretty good. I think it was Called Ricky-Bob's. Anyone remember?

SpoonEK9@STRD
05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
one near the air port was awesome, long gone.

BigShow
05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
I remember a Go-Karting place that had an amazing outdoor track out towards Airdrie. I was a kid last time I went there, but I do remember that you had to be a certain age to drive them, and they went pretty good. I think it was Called Ricky-Bob's. Anyone remember?

Yes! I remember Ricky-Bob's, it was pretty good...out in Balzac.

Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD
one near the air port was awesome, long gone.

Kart Gardens, lol we're talking 15yrs ago though right? I wish I was older when this place was around, they had an actual race track for the rrreally fast ones.

Spoons
05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah Kart Gardens was awesome, but Grand Prix was better, only because I enjoy indoor tracks more.

If you ever make it out to Winnipeg, visit their track out their. Really great place.
http://www.speedworld.ca/

white
05-12-2009, 01:09 PM
15 bucks for 10 min on the 9hp carts and its dope smoke a fatty with your friends before you go and enjoy your self. I lived there last summer and i will again. I bet half of you that said shakers sucks is becasuse you havent tried the fast carts.

Dren
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Yeah Kart Gardens was awesome, but Grand Prix was better, only because I enjoy indoor tracks more.

If you ever make it out to Winnipeg, visit their track out their. Really great place.
http://www.speedworld.ca/

totally agree! this one is great fun

calgary needs something like this !

Thaco
05-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

lol, you were a kid when you last went there??

that place was only open for like 2 years, and it closed like 3 years ago, so you consider 5 years ago "when you were a kid"? you must still be, haha

Lizard_king
05-12-2009, 03:51 PM
shakers wasn't all that bad, the better karts were pretty quick ( for calgary go karting) but the service we got from the people working there was shit

ZZT23
05-12-2009, 05:06 PM
So out of Kart world and shakers in Calgary which one would you pick?

chkolny541
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ZZT23
So out of Kart world and shakers in Calgary which one would you pick?

both so shitty, i hate kartworld becuase of the redneck people and facility is dirty as hell there. And as people say shakers is pretty bad itself too.

lose-lose

psycoticclown
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Shakers Go-Karts are pretty disappointing, however, for $26.95 day pass, it's not TOO bad of a deal. And they have buy one get one free coupons every year in the Stampede booklet and in other places too. So for $13.50 for a full day pass with unlimited times on the go-karts is a pretty good deal. Instant you get bored, just mini-golf or laser tag or something, sure they're not amazing, but its still a good deal.

nj2Type-S
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
lol, i always got in trouble at grand prix for doing power slides. too bad that place closed down. :(

Eleanor
05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Won't the new Balzac mall have go-karts?

psycoticclown
05-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Pleaaaaaaaaaaase tell me this is true!!!

Datsun-Fever
05-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I would be so down, Imagine beyond meet go karting

Datsun-Fever
05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
For entertainment, the CrossIron Mills is located near a horse race track and will have a NASCAR go kart racing track, billiards and a bowling alley.
Source: http://www.prlog.org/10193504-calgary-mega-mall-crossiron-mills-to-open-in-august-2009.html

NASCAR go karts... as in oval racing? that would be hard gay.

beyond_ban
05-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever

Source: http://www.prlog.org/10193504-calgary-mega-mall-crossiron-mills-to-open-in-august-2009.html

... unless the karts could hit 100 km/h :devil:

nj2Type-S
05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
hahahah, nascar go karts! :facepalm:

torob
05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
Shakers Go-Karts are pretty disappointing, however, for $26.95 day pass, it's not TOO bad of a deal. And they have buy one get one free coupons every year in the Stampede booklet and in other places too. So for $13.50 for a full day pass with unlimited times on the go-karts is a pretty good deal. Instant you get bored, just mini-golf or laser tag or something, sure they're not amazing, but its still a good deal.

What? full day pass and all the go-kart time you want? How bad could it be that you don't enjoy that...
i'm going to check it out

didnt someone post about having drive-in place? They should setup a go-kart place if land is big enough, might have to put large $$ in it, but if its big, and nice, i'd go for sure

psycoticclown
05-13-2009, 11:13 AM
^^Exactly my point, for $13.50 if you use a coupon, you can be there for a full day and use everything there. Fun for dicking around for sure.

JordanEG6
05-13-2009, 11:36 AM

There is one in Windermere...I went on it once and got bored as fuck. I closed my eyes to see if I can time my turns right, it was so boring.

Tomaz
05-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

that place was only open for like 2 years, and it closed like 3 years ago, so you consider 5 years ago "when you were a kid"? you must still be, haha

I must be mixing myself up with Kart Gardens then!

The ones I remember:

Kart Gardens: has the extremely fast Karts, kiddy Karts, Laser Tag, and mini-golf.

Ricky Bob Racing: Had robots, and OK Kart track, and NASCAR Simulator.

Indoor Grand Prix: had the small indoor track with a bridge. The karts barely had enough power to make it up unless you took a run at it! Lol

BTW: My father still calls me “Kid”, does that count? lol

Spoons
05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Kart Gardens closed LONG time ago man... not 3 years thats for sure.

There is also Kart World by Chinook that has some faster ones... Not sure if that is just what Shakers is now though, never been there.

tenth
05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

The Vaughan Mills location has 5 tracks, so I would presume not all of them would be oval...

http://www.weewelcome.ca/en/node/24350

rockanrepublic
06-11-2009, 04:35 AM
http://www.nascarspeedpark.com/trackinfo_ont.aspx
looks pretty good:dunno:

5000Audi
06-11-2009, 04:49 AM
the best place i have been to is in Richmond BC, they have this outside grove with this black flooring that you can drift in.. so if you want you can drift around the whole track.. its pretty sweet..

Whats with the cart track by race city? that would be fun to kart on..

wonder if you could take a home built go kart there...

rage2
06-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
Outdoor tracks FTW. Kart gardens took skill. Grand Prix was way too easy and way underpowered. It's kinda gay when your kart struggles going up a bridge.

UndrgroundRider
06-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Outdoor tracks FTW. Kart gardens took skill. Grand Prix was way too easy and way underpowered. It's kinda gay when your kart struggles going up a bridge.

The track was also too small. The underpowered carts, short straightaways and tight corners made overtaking extremely difficult (assuming moderately skilled drivers).

For the most part, a faster driver could only over take by edging his way into the inside line and nudging the other guy out. Which of course was returned with a full speed t-boning at the next hairpin. :thumbsdow

Grand Prix was the best we had, but it was still a FAR cry from a lot of the nice tracks down south.

rage2
06-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
The track was also too small. The underpowered carts, short straightaways and tight corners made overtaking extremely difficult (assuming moderately skilled drivers).

For the most part, a faster driver could only over take by edging his way into the inside line and nudging the other guy out. Which of course was returned with a full speed t-boning at the next hairpin. :thumbsdow
Yep. I always used the left hand hairpin after the bridge to pass if the guy in front takes his normal line. If I can late brake and nudge in there, I'll force him wide and be able to take 'em down haha. That was pretty much the only passing zone if the guy in front's a decent driver.

Grand Prix was the best we had
Kart Gardens airport was the best we had. People tend to forget that one nowadays. But I guess most of the users here are too young to have experienced it.

but it was still a FAR cry from a lot of the nice tracks down south.
Or India lol. I'm loving the karting action here. Huge outdoor track, owner's a karting junkie, new track design first weekend of every month. Cheap as hell too.

sputnik
06-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Or India lol. I'm loving the karting action here. Huge outdoor track, owner's a karting junkie, new track design first weekend of every month. Cheap as hell too.

If you ever end up in Winnipeg, make sure you check out Speedworld sometime.

Tight indoor track and fast karts.

My aunt and uncle are part owners and they are both karting and AutoX junkies.

buh_buh
06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Anybody else see random picket go kart signs around the city with just a phone number on it? I drove by one the other day and just caught a quick glimpse of it. The number started with 253-xxxx
I'll take another look next time I drive by one.

Khyron
06-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Anybody else see random picket go kart signs around the city with just a phone number on it? I drove by one the other day and just caught a quick glimpse of it. The number started with 253-xxxx
I'll take another look next time I drive by one.

I saw one too and came to post the same thing.

The one I saw was Westbound on heritage just after blackfoot.