PDA

View Full Version : Towing car illegal?

ExtremeSi
10-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know if it is legal to get your busted ass car towed behind another vehicle (an Aerostar to be precise). I was wondering if it is legal here with just a tow rope and a driver in each car. Someone told me it's not.
If it its illegal, does anyone know a good cheap towing service with a flatbed? (My car is low...)

Speed_Dreams
10-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Im pretty sure its not Illegal.

do you have AMA? cuz they will tow your car for free if you have the gold package

Davetronz
10-24-2003, 06:04 PM
I think it may be legal, but you will have to make sure that your lights are working on both vehicles, that you are using the right kind of ropes, and that you are not doing it during rush hour.

benyl
10-24-2003, 06:06 PM
It is illegal unless you use a tow system that is attached to the frame of the car. (Think RVs).

trust me, got a ticket for it once.

The legal way to do it is to push the dead car from behind.

-APEX-
10-24-2003, 06:17 PM
you can rent flat beds cheap try uhall

nismodrifter
10-24-2003, 06:53 PM
it is probably illegal but as fastdak said...don't do it in the middle of rush hour :D

we've done it once when the mbz had a loose nut on the tranny output spline ....no real problem...just make sure you don't crash the two cars together and don't get caught ;)
btw....the car was pulled from the NE all the way on deerfoot down to the DEEP south :D

how far do you have to go?

ExtremeSi
10-24-2003, 07:35 PM
I have to go semi-far. From about Barlow and 32Ave NE to somewhere in Coral Springs. I'm not sure where yet. And ya my dad has AMA gold package, but with my car snapping it's timing belt, my sister's POS fetiva breaking down numerous times, and my dad's van breaking down once all in this year, I've think we've reached our maximum tows for the year.

4G63Power
10-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
I have to go semi-far. From about Barlow and 32Ave NE to somewhere in Coral Springs. I'm not sure where yet. And ya my dad has AMA gold package, but with my car snapping it's timing belt, my sister's POS fetiva breaking down numerous times, and my dad's van breaking down once all in this year, I've think we've reached our maximum tows for the year.

No harm in trying AMA...all they can say is no, which I doubt they will.

nismodrifter
10-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

that's not far at all.....if you have a vehicle that can pull it then I'd say go for it...

ryder_23
10-24-2003, 07:48 PM
make sure both cars hazards are on too.

Ben
10-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Bah, I drove my car with a broken/bent axle from the deep south (barlow and deerfoot) to marlborough mall area, went Barlow the entire way, haha, an unmarked Police tactical team durango pulled me over about half a km from the start, they explained it wasn't safe and to park the car and get a tow (i had no cash and wasn't gonna pay like 80 bucks for a tow (needed dollies) but they got a call and they all hopped back in and hallued ass away. I got back in the car and drove the rest of the 17 km at like 40km/h with my hazards on. Thankfully it was like 11pm on a wednesday. haha

Pete92SL
10-24-2003, 08:52 PM
failing that, call Misty Towing. The guys name is Ken and he loves cars. he might even be a member here?

252-2442 is his number.

Tell him Pete with the truck sent ya.

Pete