PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Trade

94boosted
05-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Well fellow beyonders my dad offered me a trade of cars and I'm considering it but not sure if I should go for it. Here's the story for those who care:

I drive a 98 Civic Si and I just recently graduated from Petroleum Engineering and the plan was to sell the Civic and buy myself a new car (EVO, STi, Cobalt SS Turbo....) but as you all know were in a recession. And I have not been able to find an Oil and Gas job, like I had originally planned for so now I'm looking for any old job to weather out this economic storm. My dad has an older Subaru a 1999 Outback Impreza with lower km's (100K) in great shape which he no longer needs because he wants to buy a new Honda Ridgeline. He offered to give me the Subaru if I give my Civic to my younger step brother who just got his licence and needs a cheap fun car to drive. Now my car has just under 200,000km's and it's slightly modded I recon it's worth about $4000. The Subaru is worth more from what I can tell (Blackbook and Autotrader) but it's automatic and it's a 4 door wagon not exactly a sporty car lol.

What do you guys think? Trade the Civic for the Subaru and have a nice reliable car to drive for a few months maybe half a year or so till the Oil and Gas Industry picks up and I can get a proper job, or keep my Civic?

Thanks Guys

Cos
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
worth more money when you trade it in

bigbadboss101
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
The 98 OBS has around 140 hp I believe. It's probably not nimble as the SI but the AWD is nice to have in the winter. IF it's near 100km then it should be worth around 7k, hard to say. If you don't mind auto they go for it. That way your dad is happy, your bro is happy, and you get a lower mileage car.

94boosted
05-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I think that the Civic is about 130hp and the Subaru is about 145hp and it's a blast to drive in wet/snow/gravel conditions

redblack
05-13-2009, 02:58 AM
i would take the suby, its worth more and you can always use it as a winter beater after you get your new car

atgilchrist
05-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a good deal all around.

Tomaz
05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Don't see much wrong with that deal! if you keep it for the winter, you will be happy! Then have more disposable income in 2010! Go for the trade!

Kloubek
05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Agreed - I'd take that deal. Subarus are excellent in the winter... so, you know... 3/4 of the year here in Calgary. :)

prae
05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
solid deal, sounds like a win-win. Your dad is a chill dude ;)

Clever
05-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I would take it :thumbsup: recession and all, I think you're benefitting more from this.

94boosted
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Well we sat down and had a talk today and changed the deal around a little bit. He is going to let me use the Subaru for as long as I want and I get to sell the Civic and keep that money to start saving for a new/newer car. So the Subaru will still be his but I will be driving it like my own as long as I want and when I decide to get another car I'll give him the Subaru back.

So it's Win-Win for me I think because I'll throw the money from the Civic into a Savings account and let it gain some money instead of having the Civic depreciate further.

:clap:

94boosted
05-13-2009, 04:18 PM
PS: So if anyone wants to buy a 98 Civic Si in the next few weeks shoot me a PM lol :D

I'll make a for sale thread once I actually get the Subaru

Cos
05-15-2009, 10:49 PM
i dunno but it seems like your dad got the better of two deals to me.

canuckcarguy
05-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Cos
i dunno but it seems like your dad got the better of two deals to me.

Huh? He essentially gave his car to his son to drive for free indefinitely, for no compensation.

Sounds like a pretty generous dad.