PDA

View Full Version : Buying car on Ebay?

Nismo Racing
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I was wondering has anyone bought a car off ebay? if so how was the process and is it safe?

Wraith
05-12-2009, 10:00 PM
For something like a car I'm sure you'd rather look at it first hand...

dr_jared88
05-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I have twice and both times wasn't the best experience. I have friends that have had flawless deals but it's too easy to hide stuff. I will only look at vehicles in person now.

avishal26
05-13-2009, 12:43 AM
unless the vehicle you're looking at is in your area.. the money you save is not worth the risk of finding hidden problems once you buy it off of ebay.

SilverGS
05-13-2009, 01:59 AM
I bought one basically through eBay and it went very smooth.

I had the owner bring it to the dealership for an inspection and talked to them directly. Got a carfax and the car was in great shape when I arrived.

I took quite the risk though but the owner had lots of good pics of the car and perfect trader rating. I took note that his history seemed to show random stuff for sale not just electronics and what not so It was most likely just some regular person using eBay to sell stuff once in a while and not a scammer.

All I would say is make sure you do you are due diligence. I also called them directly and talked to them for quite a while about the car and what not.

Mar
05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
If you do, make sure you set up an Ebay merchant account first. Click your own link, buy the car, earn 6% back.

TE4MFaint
05-13-2009, 12:10 PM
It can be safe. It can be horrific.
I have seen both sides.

I have two friends that have purchased vehicles via ebay. They purchase them off of dealers so I guess they were smarter than my other friend who purchased privately and ended up buying a junker with problems, but I have successivly seen a 2005 F150 Harley, and two 2005 golf GTi's in mint condition sent to our city and look and drive absolutely perfect.

Just be smart. :dunno:

Kloubek
05-13-2009, 12:12 PM
If you buy from a dealer with lots of good feedback, you're probably fine.

Don't ship with A&A brokers based out of Vancouver. They wrecked my truck by the time it arrived. :(

beyond_ban
05-13-2009, 12:14 PM
My Dad picked up an 05' Trailblazer out of Ontatrio with 25,000 kms for a screaming deal off of an ebay GM dealer. The car was exactly as pictured and he was happy with the results. I think he even worked half price shipping into the deal...

Nismo Racing
05-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Ya the car i'm lookin at the seller want to go through ebay motors buyer protection that means I have to send the money to money gram money transfer service to a vehicle purchase protection program verified agent. I was wondering is that safe I just don't wanna get scammed!

roopi
05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Nismo Racing
Ya the car i'm lookin at the seller want to go through ebay motors buyer protection that means I have to send the money to money gram money transfer service to a vehicle purchase protection program verified agent. I was wondering is that safe I just don't wanna get scammed!

Is it a private listing or through a dealer? Sounds like a scam if the payment is via MoneyGram. Take a look here, the red bold text says not to use MoneyGram:

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/howto/buying/transaction/passvehicles.html

xmattx8
05-13-2009, 07:10 PM
My old boss bought a Lexus and she was a beaut... pickup was a bitch for him though.

bigbadboss101
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I would be hesitant. Saw some MacBooks on Kijiji and two of the sellers said they are in a different city. One suggest I use Western Union and one said he's in the military and want to see in the next 10 days. Prices are quite low but I think I will not take the chance of not getting the goods, or getting something that is not in good condition.

As for the car, if you can go see it then great. Otherwise no way!

canuckcarguy
05-14-2009, 08:57 AM
SCAM ALERT!!

That sounds like a bogus scam.

eBay will definitely not be suggesting you send money to anybody via a payment system other than Paypal.

ebay does have buyer protection, but I've never heard of them requiring payment be sent to anybody other than the seller, unless you're talking about using a legitimate escrow service. This doesn't sound right.

Did you find the vehicle on ebay, or more likely, did you respond to a classified ad and this is what the seller recommended? And incidentally, the vehicle is a screaming deal?

Towona
05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
STOP.

A friend of mine was scammed by this Moneygram BS. The seller sends you a spoofed e-mail tht looks like it came from eBay. It didn't. If you send your $ by Moneygram you'll never see it again.

PS, did they say they got the car in the divorce and just want to get rid of it because it reminds them of their spouse? :cry:

funkedelic2
05-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Be careful with Ebay esspecially if they want you to send the money through moneygram. I bought a car a few years off ebay and it was an okay experience for me. It is a huge risk alone to buy a car that you have never seen or driven before so watch what you do carefully.

SRT10Killer
05-15-2009, 12:20 AM
i think moneygram = automatic scam, ebay mostly deals withough paypal