PDA

View Full Version : getting body work done through insurance

l/l/rX
05-12-2009, 10:04 PM
So this is my first ever accident where the other parties insurance company is going to be paying for everything and I'm a little lost on things and would like some help.

The other parties insurance company calls me and tells me to go to an approved AMA estimate at Shaganappi Chev Olds instead of doing it my way where I was going to go to 3 different body shops and get 3 different estimates.

Went to Chev Olds got an estimate done, came out to just under 2 grand. Chev Olds got the estimate approved through AMA gave me a ring and asked if I wanted to book in with them or another body shop. I chose another body shop.

So now this is where I'm sort of stumped. If I do go to another body shop and it comes out to a bit more am I going to be paying the difference or insurance?

Is Shaganappi Chev Olds a good body shop or do you suggest I go else where?

Also there is a little wheel damage that is going to get fixed to, if I take it to my desired body shop will that shop take care of it or do I have to go and find a wheel repair shop?

Thanks!!!

tom_9109
05-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Talk to your adjuster. If more damages are found they can do whats called a supplement but I imagine thats a real pain in the ass when a bodyshop wrote the estimate and a different one is fixing it. If you do go to a different shop make sure that they look over the estimate and address any concerns prior to repairs. Might be easiest to just go to the shop they suggest.

As for the wheel the shop should be able to sublet that repair out.

What are the damages??

Mar
05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
The shops have a certain rate with the insurance companies. So if you get a quote for $1900 at $80 per hour for labour, they'll probably end up doing it for $1600 at $55 per hour for labour. Basically AMA has a certain rate they pay and won't move on it so the shop either accepts it and does the work or AMA comes back and tells you to go somewhere else.

This is why a lot of the good shops won't even accept claims from AMA, when I booked my car in with Contemporary Coachworks the first question they asked me is if I was insured with AMA.

l/l/rX
05-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Talk to your adjuster. If more damages are found they can do whats called a supplement but I imagine thats a real pain in the ass when a bodyshop wrote the estimate and a different one is fixing it. If you do go to a different shop make sure that they look over the estimate and address any concerns prior to repairs. Might be easiest to just go to the shop they suggest.

As for the wheel the shop should be able to sublet that repair out.

What are the damages??

passenger side fender (needs a new one and paint), a little bit of the front bumper (by the wheel well), the rim is slightly bent but repairable, they would also have to do a wheel alignment.

l/l/rX
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Mar
The shops have a certain rate with the insurance companies. So if you get a quote for $1900 at $80 per hour for labour, they'll probably end up doing it for $1600 at $55 per hour for labour. Basically AMA has a certain rate they pay and won't move on it so the shop either accepts it and does the work or AMA comes back and tells you to go somewhere else.

This is why a lot of the good shops won't even accept claims from AMA, when I booked my car in with Contemporary Coachworks the first question they asked me is if I was insured with AMA.

I was thinking of bringing the car to contemporary coachworks too.

Has anyone heard or been to shaganappi chev olds? Will I be satisfied if I went there?

'93 SR-V
05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
I know when I made a claim through my insurance they gave me a list of places that I could take it to, and if I wanted to go to a different place they would just cut me a cheque for the estimate minus 15% or something like that.

Because it's the other guys insurance in this case I believe you should be able to take it wherever you want... They may want you to take it to places they have discounted rates with but when it comes down to it I believe it's up to you, and they should cover the costs.

Any shop you take it to will sub out the wheel repair while the car is in the shop so you won't have to worry about that.

ralliart_girl
05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't tell you how good or bad contemporary coachworks repairs are done. What I can tell you is that i have worked for 2 insurance companies, and have always had problems dealing with contemporary coachworks regarding insurance claims.

Team_Mclaren
05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
do YOU have full coverage? For the two accidents that i was in (both not all fault), my insurance company covered everything and they went after the other party for the money. So I had the choice of bringing the car (2 different vehicles) to any bodyshop I want. I took it to contemporary both times. Comtemporary did the estimate and fixed the car.

Only problem is, depending on the make of the vehicle, comtemporary charges more for labour rate. The toyota was 65/hour but the lexus was 75/hour which my insurance company didnt approve, so i paid the difference (75-65=10/hour) to have them fix the lexus.

Regardless of where you take it to, the bodyshop should be able to fix everything on site or sub it out. You shouldnt have to take the car anywhere else.

Mar
05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
Because it's the other guys insurance in this case I believe you should be able to take it wherever you want... They may want you to take it to places they have discounted rates with but when it comes down to it I believe it's up to you, and they should cover the costs.
They do. Well most do, AMA doesn't. These are the things you need to check when picking an insurance company and I've heard nothing but problems with AMA. If I were you, I'd switch to another company that's easier to deal with.

Nismorphed
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
DO NOT TAKE IT TO SHAG BODYSHOP. They suck balls!

psycoticclown
05-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
do YOU have full coverage? For the two accidents that i was in (both not all fault), my insurance company covered everything and they went after the other party for the money. So I had the choice of bringing the car (2 different vehicles) to any bodyshop I want. I took it to contemporary both times. Comtemporary did the estimate and fixed the car.

Only problem is, depending on the make of the vehicle, comtemporary charges more for labour rate. The toyota was 65/hour but the lexus was 75/hour which my insurance company didnt approve, so i paid the difference (75-65=10/hour) to have them fix the lexus.

Regardless of where you take it to, the bodyshop should be able to fix everything on site or sub it out. You shouldnt have to take the car anywhere else.

That's what happened to me when I got hit too. My insurance wanted me to go to some crappy shop, I went there, got an estimate, told them I wanted to go to another shop and they said ok, just leave your car there for a day while we get an adjuster (or appraiser, forget which one) to take a look at it. I did that and they approved it. There was hidden damage too, the shop just contacted my insurance company directly and got approval for it, also my rim and tire were damaged, they just got new tires from another shop and sent my car to get the rim fixed. You don't need to go to another place, just tell them that it is damaged and they'll outsource it.

l/l/rX
05-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Nismorphed
DO NOT TAKE IT TO SHAG BODYSHOP. They suck balls!

thanks for the heads up!

you guys have been a great help!